tpo format and the 60CS

Stephane Desrochers (QA/EMC)
tpo format and the 60CS

Hi all,

I know this question was asked about one year ago on this list, but since 12 month have passed, I have decided to make a new attempt. Question: Is there any new development wrt the national geographic .tpo format ?

The rationale is because there is a bunch of tpo files out here (containing wpt and tracks) and I would really like to import them on my GPS or look at them through mapsource. So far my searches didn't lead me to anything for using them on my 60CS and national geographic apparently do not support USB ports very well.

//Stéphane

Re: tpo format and the 60CS

Robert Lipe
Stephane Desrochers (QA/EMC) wrote:

>    attempt. Question: Is there any new development wrt the national
>    geographic .tpo format ?

I don't know of anyone that's made any progress reverse engineering it
and I haven't heard NG publishing the specs on it.

--
Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Re: tpo format and the 60CS

Charles D. Smith
On 7/6/05 4:55 PM, "Robert Lipe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephane Desrochers (QA/EMC) wrote:
>
>>    attempt. Question: Is there any new development wrt the national
>>    geographic .tpo format ?
>
> I don't know of anyone that's made any progress reverse engineering it
> and I haven't heard NG publishing the specs on it.

I have a Garmin GPS 76CS and I use a USB-to-serial adapter that I bought
from gpsgeek.com and a serial data connector for my Garmin. It's more
expensive than just using a USB, but it works. I'm able to download
waypoints directly from my NG State Series maps to my GPSr. I use Mac OS
10.3, so I had to get the latest USB drivers, but once I did, it worked
great.  I also had to mess with the serial port designations and try the
connection on each port until I found the port that my Mac likes. It also
works on my IBM laptop via the USB-to-serial cables. It should work with
your 60CS since they're basically the same unit.

RE: tpo format and the 60CS

Stephane Desrochers (QA/EMC)
Thanks Charles, since Robert mentioned that there is no reverse engineering progress, this USB-to-serial gizmo look like a big part of the solution.

Because I am not really interested in the topographic maps, but only in the overlay files *.tpo, I was wandering if I could just purchase NS least expensive product which is GPS USA at $24.95 US. Unfortunately when you look at the comparison charts, this product doesn't allow sharing trail files with mapXchange, which makes me believe the software is unable to read/write/import/export *.tpo files. On the other hand, it says "Easily transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks between your GPS and PC". I am a bit confused about the capability of this software wrt *.tpo files.

Any opinion?

//Stéphane

On 7/6/05 4:55 PM, "Robert Lipe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephane Desrochers (QA/EMC) wrote:
>
>>    attempt. Question: Is there any new development wrt the national
>>    geographic .tpo format ?
>
> I don't know of anyone that's made any progress reverse engineering it
> and I haven't heard NG publishing the specs on it.

I have a Garmin GPS 76CS and I use a USB-to-serial adapter that I bought
from gpsgeek.com and a serial data connector for my Garmin. It's more
expensive than just using a USB, but it works. I'm able to download
waypoints directly from my NG State Series maps to my GPSr. I use Mac OS
10.3, so I had to get the latest USB drivers, but once I did, it worked
great.  I also had to mess with the serial port designations and try the
connection on each port until I found the port that my Mac likes. It also
works on my IBM laptop via the USB-to-serial cables. It should work with
your 60CS since they're basically the same unit.

Re: tpo format and the 60CS

Charles D. Smith
On 7/7/05 9:12 AM, "Stephane Desrochers (QA/EMC)"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Charles, since Robert mentioned that there is no reverse engineering
> progress, this USB-to-serial gizmo look like a big part of the solution.
>
> Because I am not really interested in the topographic maps, but only in the
> overlay files *.tpo, I was wandering if I could just purchase NS least
> expensive product which is GPS USA at $24.95 US. Unfortunately when you look
> at the comparison charts, this product doesn't allow sharing trail files with
> mapXchange, which makes me believe the software is unable to
> read/write/import/export *.tpo files. On the other hand, it says "Easily
> transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks between your GPS and PC". I am a bit
> confused about the capability of this software wrt *.tpo files.
>
> Any opinion?
>
> //Stéphane

Probably the best advice I can give is to join www.geocaching.com. That site
has some really good forums with all kinds of advice about software,
hardware, new stuff, and just about anything in which you might be
interested. They have threads devoted to the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS and just
about any other hardware or software you want to investigate. Joining is
free and you can even download geocaches in your area or where ever you want
to go. If you pay to join their premium choice, you get even more.