.sl2 to .slg conversion

Scott Atherton

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to something like this so I am sorry in advance if I am not following protocol correctly.

We have been creating bathymetric maps in ArcMap from .slg files collected form a Lowrance LMS-525cDF Sonar/GPS unit. Prior to my time working here we had a 3rd party programmer come in and write a program that would convert .slg files to .csv files that included coordinates in Lat/Long. Recently I was sent a .sl2 file which is not recognized by our conversion program. Can GPSBabel convert .sl2 files to .slg? all that is shown in the list of recognized files is Lowrance USR files (not sure what that even is). Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Scott Atherton

GIS Technician–Prince George

Triton Environmental Consultants Ltd

# 201 - 1157 5th Ave. Prince George, BC V2L 3L1

tel 250-562-9155 | fax 250-562-9135 | cell 250-617-4531

Privilege and Confidentiality Notice
The information included in this email (and attachments) is intended for the named recipients only and may contain privileged and confidential information. If you have received this email in error, any use, copying or dissemination of its contents is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone at the numbers above and destroy all copies of the communication. Thank you.

Re: .sl2 to .slg conversion

Robert Lipe-4
In the 10+ years GPSBabel has been available, hyou're the first to ask about sl2.  I have no idea what they are. If you're talking about maps and not data that makes sense to put on a map like points or tracks, that would make sense as GPSBabel  isn't about converting maps.

There are many formats described as "csv".  We read many specific ones and some arbitrary ones like http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_unicsv.html but we allow you to define your own.  Since you didn't show us representative files, it's hard to say if we can read them or offer much suggestions.

I don't recognize slg, either.  It doesn't seem to be any of the 200+ formats we support.  See http://www.gpsbabel.org/capabilities.html

RJL

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Scott Atherton <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This thread talks about what a .slg file consists of:

http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11159

However most of the talk is jargon to me

Re: .sl2 to .slg conversion

Scott Atherton

So after further investigation I do believe that .slg and .sl2 are chart files which can be viewed through the Sonar Viewer found at Lawrance’s website

www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Sonar-Log-Viewer-SLV/

this program has the option to export to a csv however regardless of the coordinate system chosen by the viewer the xy coordinates always come out the same, which I believe is a coordinate system specific to Lowrance (but I am not 100% on this). I have attached the output csv file for reference. The ultimate goal here is to develop a system to get this data into a UTM projection, once again any ideas on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

ORIGINAL FILE Sonar0000.sl2.csv (80K) Download Attachment

Re: .sl2 to .slg conversion

Robert Lipe-4
Unless the location in your sample file is in the middle of the Arctic Ocean off the north coast of Alaska, I can't say I have any idea how they're representing location.  If it is there, it looks like they're using lat/lon but forgetting to put the decimal point in.  If that's the case, you could pull it into a spreadsheet or something and "fix" those two columns and associated headers to be more civilized to our Unicsv reader.   This format is weird enough that neither unicsv nor our style definitions would handle it well and there's data in it that won't map to our internal data structures very well.

Frankly, this format looks too specialized for me to chase this very far.

RJL

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Scott Atherton <[hidden email]> wrote:

So after further investigation I do believe that .slg and .sl2 are chart files which can be viewed through the Sonar Viewer found at Lawrance’s website

www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Sonar-Log-Viewer-SLV/

this program has the option to export to a csv however regardless of the coordinate system chosen by the viewer the xy coordinates always come out the same, which I believe is a coordinate system specific to Lowrance (but I am not 100% on this). I have attached the output csv file for reference. The ultimate goal here is to develop a system to get this data into a UTM projection, once again any ideas on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: .sl2 to .slg conversion

Scott Atherton

Unfortunately this site was not in the Ocean, it looks like I am out of luck, thanks for looking into this anyways

Re: .sl2 to .slg conversion

William Burlison
Are you still looking for a solution? I am about to work on a converter.

Scott Atherton wrote

www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Sonar-Log-Viewer-SLV/<http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Sonar-Log-Viewer-SLV/>

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Scott Atherton <SAtherton@triton-env.com<mailto:SAtherton@triton-env.com>> wrote:
[...]

tel 250-562-9155<tel:250-562-9155> | fax 250-562-9135<tel:250-562-9135> | cell 250-617-4531<tel:250-617-4531>
www.triton-env.com<http://www.triton-env.com/>
Privilege and Confidentiality Notice
The information included in this email (and attachments) is intended for the named recipients only and may contain privileged and confidential information. If you have received this email in error, any use, copying or dissemination of its contents is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone at the numbers above and destroy all copies of the communication. Thank you.

Re: .sl2 to .slg conversion

guips
Hi William,

I am still looking for a converter!