gpsbabel doesn't understand My Tracks' new KMZ format

gpsbabel doesn't understand My Tracks' new KMZ format

Ulrich Spörlein
Hey all,

I've been using My Tracks for Android to capture various traces that
I'd now like to simplify and cut&paste etc.

Long story short, gpsbabel (and JGPSTrackEdit) doesn't understand the
KML as produced by My Tracks, only the Start/End waypoints will get
written to a GPX file.

Note that both MyTracks and Google Earth correctly display the track
in the attached file. Also, this MyTracks bug seems *very* relevant
and has some analysis as to what might be the issue:
https://code.google.com/p/mytracks/issues/detail?id=1545

Thanks for investigating, please keep my CC'ed, as I'm not subscribed
to the list.

Cheers,
Uli

9_15_2014 12_22.kmz (29K) Download Attachment

Re: gpsbabel doesn't understand My Tracks' new KMZ format

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, Ulrich.

cpe in that thread is correct.  MyTracks is writing "Google Extended" KML (that's the "gx:") and not industry standard KML.

We've added support for that since the last release, so you can get it to day by building the development version from source.  It'll be in our next (currently unscheduled) release.

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Ulrich Spörlein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,

I've been using My Tracks for Android to capture various traces that
I'd now like to simplify and cut&paste etc.

Long story short, gpsbabel (and JGPSTrackEdit) doesn't understand the
KML as produced by My Tracks, only the Start/End waypoints will get
written to a GPX file.

Note that both MyTracks and Google Earth correctly display the track
in the attached file. Also, this MyTracks bug seems *very* relevant
and has some analysis as to what might be the issue:
https://code.google.com/p/mytracks/issues/detail?id=1545

Thanks for investigating, please keep my CC'ed, as I'm not subscribed
to the list.

Cheers,
Uli

Re: gpsbabel doesn't understand My Tracks' new KMZ format

Ulrich Spörlein
Just build from head and it indeed works as advertised. Thanks!