gps babel : cetus pdb to gpx file failed

gps babel : cetus pdb to gpx file failed

Dominique Walrave
Hi,

I'm trying to use gps babel to convert Cetus file into gpx file.

I've tried with the gps babel GUI tool and also the command line but it's failed in both cases.

The command line I use is:
    gpsbabel -i cetus -f c:\tmpsh\track.pdb -o gpx -F c:\tmpsh\track.gpx

and return message is:
    "Cetus: Not a Cetus file."
Configuration
    Cetus program version on my Palm is "Cetus GPS 1.2b7".
    gps babel version is 1.2.5 on my XP box.

Please find in attachment a pdb file generated with Cetus.

This file works fine when using www online convert tool (pdb to txt) available on http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert.
Could you please help?

Thanks in advance.

Dominique

track.pdb (57K) Download Attachment

Re: gps babel : cetus pdb to gpx file failed

Robert Lipe
>    The command line I use is:
>
>        gpsbabel -i cetus -f c:\tmpsh\track.pdb -o gpx -F c:\tmpsh\track.gpx

Looking at the file, it appears to be some kind of a track record.  It
has very wacky dates:

$ pilot-file -H /tmp/t.pdb
Name..........: Track 012
flags.........: 0x88 BACKUP STREAM
version.......: 0
creation_time.: 1939-07-27 12:04:57
modified_time.: 1939-07-27 13:15:35
backup_time...: 1903-12-31 18:00:00
mod_number....: 92
type..........: strm
CreatorID.....: cGPS

When I look at the table at:
        http://www.gpsbabel.org/capabilities.html
and in the source for the Cetus module, I don't see that we try to
understand a track format for Cetus.    That's why we're rejecting
it.

I'll put this on the list of requests for new formats.  Kjeld has been
pretty forthcoming with information on the file formats in the past,
so if you can get information on that from him, it would go a long way
toward getting development for that in motion.

Thanx,

Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Re: gps babel : cetus pdb to gpx file failed

Adam Schneider
On 08/01/05, Robert Lipe wrote:

>When I look at the table at:
> http://www.gpsbabel.org/capabilities.html
>and in the source for the Cetus module, I don't see that we try to
>understand a track format for Cetus.    That's why we're rejecting it.

For now, GPS Visualizer can read Cetus track files and convert them to GPX: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert

Adam

Re: gps babel : cetus pdb to gpx file failed

Ron Parker-2
Robert Lipe wrote:

>I'll put this on the list of requests for new formats.  Kjeld has been
>pretty forthcoming with information on the file formats in the past,
>so if you can get information on that from him, it would go a long way
>toward getting development for that in motion.

The format is documented, I think, in the form of source code.  If I
find some time, I'll see if I can knock something together to read it.
I've been wanting to do that anyway.

On 08/01/05, Ron Parker wrote:

>The format is documented, I think, in the form of source code.  If I find some time, I'll see if I can knock something together to read it.  I've been wanting to do that anyway.

Let me know if you want a look at my ugly Perl subroutine that reads Cetus tracklogs.

Adam

Re: gps babel : cetus pdb to gpx file failed

Olaf Klein
Dear all,

> Let me know if you want a look at my ugly Perl subroutine that reads Cetus
> tracklogs.

i would like to have a look at the cetus module. Is there anybody working on
it?

O.K.