Quantcast

garmin fēnix 3

bikaddict
hello,

I know this is not a garmin forum but I plan to buy the garmin watch called "fēnix 3"
and I would like to know if we can get the data from it using a USB cable + gbsbabel.

I'm using gnu/linux.

thank you!

bikaddict

Re: garmin fēnix 3

lefty01 (Bugzilla)
On 08/26/2015 12:20 PM, bikaddict wrote:
> hello,
>
> I know this is not a garmin forum but I plan to buy the garmin watch called "fēnix 3"
> and I would like to know if we can get the data from it using a USB cable + gbsbabel.
>
> I'm using gnu/linux.
Hi,

in order to get data from the watch you do not need gpsbabel in the
first place.
Once connected to your computer you can mount as usb drive and copy the
activity file(s).
Then you can use gpsbabel to transform the .fit activity file into some
other format if you so desire eg. gpx or kml.

$ gpsbabel -i garmin_fit -f 2015-08-07-14-20-01.fit -o gpx -F
2015-08-07-14-20-01.gpx

I know for sure this works on fenix 1, I now replaced with fenix 3 and
yet need to confirm that fit format is not changed in some way ...
I have setup wifi and auto upload to garmin connect, this way you can
also just download the data from gc after it appears on the web.

cheers
andreas

Re: garmin fēnix 3

bikaddict
August 26 2015 1:39 PM, "Andreas Loeffler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/26/2015 12:20 PM, bikaddict wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> I know this is not a garmin forum but I plan to buy the garmin watch called "fēnix 3"
>> and I would like to know if we can get the data from it using a USB cable + gbsbabel.
>>
>> I'm using gnu/linux.
>
> Hi,
>
> in order to get data from the watch you do not need gpsbabel in the
> first place.
> Once connected to your computer you can mount as usb drive and copy the
> activity file(s).
> Then you can use gpsbabel to transform the .fit activity file into some
> other format if you so desire eg. gpx or kml.
>
> $ gpsbabel -i garmin_fit -f 2015-08-07-14-20-01.fit -o gpx -F
> 2015-08-07-14-20-01.gpx
>
> I know for sure this works on fenix 1, I now replaced with fenix 3 and
> yet need to confirm that fit format is not changed in some way ...
> I have setup wifi and auto upload to garmin connect, this way you can
> also just download the data from gc after it appears on the web.
>
> cheers
> andreas

Thank you Andreas!
then let me know if fit format has changed for fēnix 3 :)

Re: garmin f?nix 3

Jason Slagle

On 8/26/15, 7:37 AM, "Andreas Loeffler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I know for sure this works on fenix 1, I now replaced with fenix 3 and
>yet need to confirm that fit format is not changed in some way ...
>I have setup wifi and auto upload to garmin connect, this way you can
>also just download the data from gc after it appears on the web.

It¹s changed a bit.  I was hacking at making it work, but as of yet
haven¹t had time to finish.

Jason

Re: garmin f?nix 3

lefty01 (Bugzilla)
On 08/26/2015 01:56 PM, Jason Slagle wrote:

> On 8/26/15, 7:37 AM, "Andreas Loeffler" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I know for sure this works on fenix 1, I now replaced with fenix 3 and
>> yet need to confirm that fit format is not changed in some way ...
>> I have setup wifi and auto upload to garmin connect, this way you can
>> also just download the data from gc after it appears on the web.
>
> It¹s changed a bit.  I was hacking at making it work, but as of yet
> haven¹t had time to finish.
>
> Jason
Hi Jason,

is this in the github master branch already?
I got the 'fit: Bad field size in data message' error with 1.5.1 as
well, with the latest tree from github however the conversion does work
... no error gpx looks good

I do see some "unrecognized data type" msg with debug though:
$ ./gpsbabel -D1 -i garmin_fit -f ~/Downloads/878009571.fit -o gpx -F
/tmp/878009571.fit.gpx
GPSBabel Version: 1.5.2
fit: header len=14
fit: protocol version=16
fit: profile version=1523
fit: fit_data.len=6235
fit: starting to read data with fit_data.len=6235
fit: unrecognized data type in GARMIN FIT record: f->id=61
fit: unrecognized data type in GARMIN FIT record: f->id=66
fit: unrecognized data type in GARMIN FIT record: f->id=61
cet_util: Converting from "US-ASCII" to "UTF-8", done.

thx
andreas