garmin etrex lengend serial [solved]

John Lips
Isn't that just the way things go.  You write and post a lengthy help
request, and then you (almost immediately) figure it out.

It is now working with the garmin_gps kernel module as a normal user.  I
think it was the fact that I was lazy.  I built the kernel module, but
then did not reboot before I modprobed it.  It didn't complain, so I
thought all was well.  I rebooted modprobed it again and it works.

Re: garmin etrex lengend serial [solved]

Robert Lipe-4

garmin_gps (when it works) lets USB Garmins pretend to be serial Garmins.  If you have a serial Garmin, garmin_gps shouldn't come into play at all.

I suspect it was the reboot that helped. The Linux 2303 USB/serial drivers in my admittedly dated experience were finicky.

Anyway, welcome to GPSBabelsville.