dwnld tracks sorted by day from emap

newlocation
hello everyone. Please excuse me if this a
question that has been discussed before. I have looked around and have
not found answer to this specific problem. please do give the url if it
has already been discussed.

I was wondering if there is any way in which one can download specific
tracks from a emap gps.
for example:
say i want to only download tracks that were mapped on 20 july 2005 from
10 am to 6pm. is this possible?
while the "save back" function on the emap saves all the tracks stored
on, as well as prior to the selected date...which eventually gives me a
whole lot of mixed up new and old tracks.

does gps babel solve the problem or are there any other tools meant to
segregate tracks according to date and time? I use fGis to visualize the
tracks and waypoints.
I have got all my tracks, old and new, mixed up, please help.

thank you

Re: dwnld tracks sorted by day from emap

Robert Lipe
newlocation wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any way in which one can download specific
> tracks from a emap gps.
> for example:
> say i want to only download tracks that were mapped on 20 july 2005 from
> 10 am to 6pm. is this possible?

There was a feature added just a week or two ago in the track splitting
filter that almost (but not quite) does this.  By my reading, you can
split based on day or intervals of time, but I don't see that you can
select time ranges.

Olaf, can you think of a way to use your splitting module to get
newlocation what he's looking for?

You'll have to download them all and then filter the others out.

--
Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Re: dwnld tracks sorted by day from emap

Olaf Klein
Hello Robert,

> > say i want to only download tracks that were mapped on 20 july 2005 from
> > 10 am to 6pm. is this possible?
>
> Olaf, can you think of a way to use your splitting module to get
> newlocation what he's looking for?
>
> You'll have to download them all and then filter the others out.

in work.

O.K.

Re: dwnld tracks sorted by day from emap

Patrick Ohly
On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 09:40 +0200, Olaf Klein wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>
> > > say i want to only download tracks that were mapped on 20 july 2005 from
> > > 10 am to 6pm. is this possible?
> >
> > Olaf, can you think of a way to use your splitting module to get
> > newlocation what he's looking for?
> >
> > You'll have to download them all and then filter the others out.
>
> in work.

Another solution to the problem would be to filter based on the track
name: when I look at the output of
  gpsbabel -i garmin -f ... -o gpx -F foo.gpx
  grep name foo.gpx
I see that the "CURRENT TRACK" of my Garmin eTrex is nicely separated
from the saved tracks, which appear with the name that I chose for
them on the eTrex.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly
[hidden email] (MakeCD related mails)

On 7/22/05, newlocation <[hidden email]> wrote:

> say i want to only download tracks that were mapped on 20 july 2005 from
> 10 am to 6pm. is this possible?

[ Back to this list from the programmer's list ]

Olaf added this feature just this week.  I just now realized the very
example he contributed to the doc was exactly the one above:

            If you only want to get a track mapped on 20 july 2005 from
            10 am to 6pm, you should use this:

            gpsbabel -t \
                     -i gpx -f in.gpx \
                     -x track,start=2005072010,stop=2005072018 \
                     -o gpx -F out.gpx

So, newlocation, this will be in the next release of GPSBabel and is
available now if you build it from source.

Send thanx to Olaf...

Re: dwnld tracks sorted by day from emap

newlocation
Wow! this has been great. A great relief from trying to manually scan
the gpx files for the tracks, cleaning them up. Thank you both Robert
and Olaf. Robert you have been of great help for following this up. I'm
sorry about the late reply.
I was working on windows till now but i guess now will have to boot into
linux and do the sorting there. Though when could a windows release be
expected?
Thank you both Robert and Olaf again. Robert could you please forward
this to the programmer's list, if Olaf is not on this one?

Best,
vaibhav -this is my real name :)
(newlocation: thats a little stupid but couldn't think of better newbish
sounding name ;) )

vaibhav wrote:

> when could a windows release be expected?

I've been really trying to get a release wrapped up right now.  There are
a few open issues still, but I think one is inevitable.

> I was working on windows till now but i guess now will have to boot into
> linux and do the sorting there.

You could rebuild for windows.  (Or cross compile it from Linux using the
mingw cross - that's how I make the windows builds.)

Re: dwnld tracks sorted by day from emap

newlocation
I probably will not use mingw right now but will try later. I am still
going to wait for the windows build :) .

Thank you

vaibhav

Robert Lipe wrote:

> vaibhav wrote:
>

>>when could a windows release be expected?
>

> I've been really trying to get a release wrapped up right now.  There are
> a few open issues still, but I think one is inevitable.
>

>>I was working on windows till now but i guess now will have to boot into
>>linux and do the sorting there.
>

> You could rebuild for windows.  (Or cross compile it from Linux using the
> mingw cross - that's how I make the windows builds.)
>

> RJL

Re: dwnld tracks sorted by day from emap

newlocation
Hello everyone,
Is there a way in which one can convert shape files back to gpx?
On the gpx2shp page the image on top indicates shp2gpx. But I cant find
any further information on it.

thank you,
vaibhav

Re: dwnld tracks sorted by day from emap

Toshihiro Hiraoka
Hello vaibhav,

I just decided to try to make it but I have no time to do it.
I will make it in the future. shp2gpx is not so difficult like gpx2shp.
No time is only my problem. Sorry.

--
平岡 稔浩
HIRAOKA, Toshihiro

[hidden email]
http://gpx2shp.sourceforge.jp/

regarding shp2gpx

newlocation
Hi Toshihiro,
Not a problem if you are busy, I can wait for the shp2gpx. I would like
to thank you for the gpx2shp tool.
I'm quite new to mapping/GIS technologies and the tool has been very
helpful.
I will try to find a way around this specific problem for the moment.
Any suggestions?

Thank you,
vaibhav