Quantcast

delorme

Fred Prussing

HI, I own a Garmin Montana and would like to add DeLorme topo version 10 maps to it. Is this possible with babel? How does that work?

Thanks,

Fred

Re: delorme

Greg Troxel

Fred Prussing <[hidden email]> writes:

> HI, I own a Garmin Montana and would like to add DeLorme topo version 10
> maps to it. Is this possible with babel?

No.   gpsbabel deals with things that go in GPX, more or less, not maps.

> How does that work?

I'm assuming that you have a license for these maps (probably) or they
are under a free data license (not likely).

Probably you should be using Garmin's BaseCamp or Mapinstall software
(which is bundled with Basecamp).  Alternatively you can place the img
file in the Garmin directory on the devices flash memory filesystem.
But proprietary maps tend to have some sort of digital restrictions
management/crypto and can't just be copied.

Poeple use mkgmap to turn openstreetmap data into garmin format, and
also add contour lines.
See
  http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/
  http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

you can find contour lines on gisfiledepot.  They are usually based on
the NGS DEMs or shuttle data, in the US, and are thus public domain.