converting to KML with speed coded as color?

converting to KML with speed coded as color?

Udo van den Heuvel
Hello,

I use a GPSport 245 to log data during cycling.
Using gpsbabel I can download the data [1] and convert to gpx in one go.
Next step is to convert to KML [2] to put the track in google maps.

Could I use gpsbabel 1.5.2 to color code the track with the speed that
is in the gpx?

Kind regards,
Udo

gpsbabel-1.5.2-1.fc20.x86_64
1 gpsbabel -D 4 -t -r -w -i m241 -f /dev/ttyUSB1 -o gpx -F `date
+'%F-%H-%M'`.gpx

2 gpsbabel -t -i gpx -f *.gpx -x nuketypes,waypoints,routes -x
simplify,count=500 -o
kml,points=0,labels="",lines="",trackdata="",units="m",line_color="990f0cf9"
-F `basename *gpx .gpx`".kml"

Re: converting to KML with speed coded as color?

Udo van den Heuvel
On 2015-03-01 12:39, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Could I use gpsbabel 1.5.2 to color code the track with the speed that
> is in the gpx?

At
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11874858/colorise-single-track-in-kml-file
I read:

As previous answer says, you have to split track into segments and color
each segment individually. There is no other way to do this using KML.
But remember that this can create very large KML files for long tracks!
So try to save some space by using shared styles.

but also:

I would recommend creating one "gx:track" with low "draworder" for whole
track and collection of placemarks with different colors and high
"draworder" for every small segment of track.

Would this approach be doable with gpsbabel?

Kind regards,
Udo

Re: converting to KML with speed coded as color?

Robert Lipe-4
GPSBabel doesn't have code for this for the very kinds of reasons hinted by Udo.  Given how KML styling works, you'd have to style each segment of the track and my experiments doing that resulted in very large KML and poor rendering in Earth.  I've also not really figured out a very usable way to present the data; make the top third speed green, the middle third yellow and the bottom third red?

It's also not clear if Earth's Elevation Profile tool (which can do more than just elevation) might not be a better vehicle for this.