Quantcast

converting

Hans G. van Boven
Hello,

I have a problem in converting a GPI file(camperplaces) to GPX  (all for my Garmin Camper 760 LM)  Settings are: input/ file: Garmin Points of Interest )gpi  3,3 Mb  with “options”=1 ,  to output(no output options)   GPX XML. I use gpsbabel 1.5.3.  Converting = succesfull, altough I have a volume of 206kB !!!!! .
The volume of 206 kB works (after loading with poiloader to my Garmin) OK , but I miss a lot of data  (from 3,3 Mb to 206Kb) What did I do wrong??????
Who can help me ???

frgr

Hans

Re: converting

Robert Lipe-4
I see a 6MB output with 1.5.3.

rjlimac7:gpsbabel robertlipe$ ./gpsbabel -i garmin_gpi -f ~/Downloads/promobil_STP_EU_2016.gpi  -o gpx -F /tmp/foo.gpx
rjlimac7:gpsbabel robertlipe$ ls -al /tmp/foo.gpx
-rw-r--r--  1 robertlipe  wheel  6117035 Mar 24 11:57 /tmp/foo.gpx

Why is it larger? Some apps read <cmt> and some read <desc> so we write the same info into both:

  <wpt lat="64.258611090" lon="-15.202500019">
    <name>Camping Höfn - IS- Höfn, Hafnarbraut 52, Tel: +354 4781606, Email: [hidden email], Web: www.campsite.is</name>
    <cmt>STP-Geb. für 50 Mobile auf dem offenen Campinggelände an der Südostküste direkt am Fjord. Ortszentrum 800 m. Saison: 15. Mai-15. September. Services: Strom, Wasser, Entsorgung, WC-Ents., Dusche. 1500 Ikr. pro Nacht und Person.</cmt>
    <desc>STP-Geb. für 50 Mobile auf dem offenen Campinggelände an der Südostküste direkt am Fjord. Ortszentrum 800 m. Saison: 15. Mai-15. September. Services: Strom, Wasser, Entsorgung, WC-Ents., Dusche. 1500 Ikr. pro Nacht und Person.</desc>

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Hans G. van Boven <[hidden email]> wrote:
Goodafternoon,

Thank you for fast answering. Yes, I did’nt include the file,forgotten,sorry, here it is.

frgr

Hans

SRE

negative elevations in Topo format

SRE
I can no longer get GPSBabel to build on my Windoze box (upgraded OS), so I'm hoping
someone can tweak this code in tpo.c.

>    // Grab the altitude in meters
>    altitude = gbfgetint32(tpo_file_in);
>    if (altitude == 0xfffd000c) { // Unknown altitude
>      altitude = 0;

Altitudes below sea level come out as huge numbers, apparently a signed/unsigned int issue.

The attached TPO file has three waypoints, two below and one above sea level.
I named them by their elevations in feet according to the Topo GUI, but (my bad) of course
the GPX data is in meters. Exporting to GPX from Topo (provided for reference) has problems
in other places, but it does get the elevations correct. GPX from GPSBabel is also attached,
showing elevations like 42949620m.

While a custom build is too much to ask (?) perhaps this can be fixed in the next release.

NegElev.tpo (7K) Download Attachment
NegElev-Topo.gpx (995 bytes) Download Attachment
NegElev-Babel.gpx (797 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: negative elevations in Topo format

tsteven4-2
can you supply a short tpo file with a waypoint that has unknown altitude?

On 3/26/2016 1:21 AM, SRE wrote:
I can no longer get GPSBabel to build on my Windoze box (upgraded OS), so I'm hoping
someone can tweak this code in tpo.c.

   // Grab the altitude in meters
   altitude = gbfgetint32(tpo_file_in);
   if (altitude == 0xfffd000c) { // Unknown altitude
     altitude = 0;
Altitudes below sea level come out as huge numbers, apparently a signed/unsigned int issue.

The attached TPO file has three waypoints, two below and one above sea level.
I named them by their elevations in feet according to the Topo GUI, but (my bad) of course
the GPX data is in meters. Exporting to GPX from Topo (provided for reference) has problems
in other places, but it does get the elevations correct. GPX from GPSBabel is also attached,
showing elevations like 42949620m.

While a custom build is too much to ask (?) perhaps this can be fixed in the next release.

Transform Data into Opportunity.
Click to learn more.

SRE

At 08:38 AM 3/26/2016, you wrote:
>can you supply a short tpo file with a waypoint that has unknown altitude?

Sure. I don't know of a way to enter one, but if you copy from somewhere
else and paste into an open file it remains undefined. (That's why it is
quite some distance from my other test waypoints.)

Attached are the same three files, but this time the waypoint names are
in meters except the new "UnknownElevation" waypoint.

NegElev2.tpo (7K) Download Attachment
NegElev2-Babel.gpx (1K) Download Attachment
NegElev2-Topo.gpx (1K) Download Attachment

Re: negative elevations in Topo format

tsteven4-2

It appears to be a TOPO! bug that the TOPO! created gpx file listed the
altitude as -32768 for the waypoint with unknown altitude.
This corresponds to the value encoded in the file (0xffce0000), which is
different from the value checked in the original code (0xfffd000c).
Based on your test case I changed the code to filter out the -32768
values as unknown altitudes, this results in different gpx output than
created by TOPO! 4.5.0.

fixes:
for TOPO versions older than 3, and TOPO versions 3 and newer, don't use
an altitude of zero for unknown as this represents a valid altitude.
for TOPO versions 3 and newer don't truncate the fractional part of
altitude.
for TOPO versions 3 and newer correctly convert negative altitudes.
for TOPO versions 3 and newer change the value used to check for unknown
altitudes.

You can either figure out how to build again or wait for the next release.

SRE

At 07:51 AM 3/27/2016, tsteven4 wrote:
>It appears to be a TOPO! bug that the TOPO! created gpx file listed the altitude as -32768

Agreed. They're doing something odd internally because undefined elevations
show up as -999 whether the GUI is set to display meters or feet.

>You can either figure out how to build again or wait for the next release.

Thanks for fixing it! For now I'm just post-processing the GPX to change
really really big elevations to zero.

I never got Qt to retrieve and build GPSBabel on Win7, which might be a
change in Qt (they had a new release since I last managed to use it) or it
might just be that I'm not sophisticated enough to grok it. Building here
is DOA until I get around to switching back to Unix or someone else posts
a how-to-build-GPSBabel-in-Windoze cookbook. I'm curious what platform
most users run GPSBabel on...

Re: negative elevations in Topo format

Robert Lipe-4
Thanx, tsteven4. Good analysis and fix.

I have a CL floating around somewhere where I changed alt (and a few others) to be a new class that tried to forced the value of unset values. We see here that even NG struggles with this.

As for the other question, I can speak for our long-time devs: tsteven4 is mostly Linux. I'm mostly on Mac.  I think we both have access to all three. Our automated tests are on Linux but that means that whatever's checked in always works on Linux.  Martin was on Windows, but he's been quiet for some time. I used to do our official Windows builds with Mingw and later mxe, but the last few were built with Qt's own build system, IIRC.

We have probably the exact opposite breakdown of the three OSes in users vs. percentage of developers.

There are additional OSes that show up in minor changes now and then to work on their OS, but I don't think we have anyone building daily or doing active development on NetBSD or FreeBSD or whatever.