base camp

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

base camp

Jeff Lewis

I have downloaded gps babel for windows and I am ready to convert csv to gpx to use on my garmin basecamp but there are many options. Could you provide a screenshot for my application. Also I would like one for tom tom ov2 to gpx. I will be glad to donate but there are so many options it’s a little confusing

 

 

Jeff Lewis

Owner

P: 502.252.5800

F: 502.252.8651

[hidden email]

 

integritytool email logo

 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
_______________________________________________
Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: base camp

Robert Lipe-4
There are lots of formats that go by the name "csv". If yours has descriptions in the first line, use 'unicsv' to read and 'gpx' to write. Garmin Basecamp will consume GPX. Our ov2 writer is called "tomtom".

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Jeff Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have downloaded gps babel for windows and I am ready to convert csv to gpx to use on my garmin basecamp but there are many options. Could you provide a screenshot for my application. Also I would like one for tom tom ov2 to gpx. I will be glad to donate but there are so many options it’s a little confusing

 

 

Jeff Lewis

Owner

P: <a href="tel:502.252.5800" value="+15022525800" target="_blank">502.252.5800

F: <a href="tel:502.252.8651" value="+15022528651" target="_blank">502.252.8651

[hidden email]

 

integritytool email logo

 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
_______________________________________________
Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
_______________________________________________
Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc
SRE
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

routes in unicsv output

SRE
The GUI let's me pick only one of waypoints, routes, or tracks when
writing Universal CSV... but when I choose routes I get no route info
and I get duplicate waypoints. I expected (assumed) some way to find
out which routes the waypoints were in, including route names. Is
that possible? Did I miss something? Aren't duplicate waypoints bad?

Here is my command line, from the GUI (may need quoting):
>gpsbabel -r -i tpo3 -f S:/temp/TwoRoutes.tpo -o unicsv,datum=N. America 1927 mean,grid=utm -F S:/temp/TwoRoutes.csv

Attached are the source data file (.tpo), Topo's CSV output (.txt),
GPSBabel output (.csv), and GPX. (I got the same result from reading
the Topo file as from reading the GPX file.)

Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
_______________________________________________
Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc

TwoRoutes.tpo (6K) Download Attachment
TwoRoutes.txt (626 bytes) Download Attachment
TwoRoutes.csv (252 bytes) Download Attachment
TwoRoutes.gpx (1K) Download Attachment
lj
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: routes in unicsv output

lj
SRE wrote:

> The GUI let's me pick only one of waypoints, routes, or tracks when
> writing Universal CSV... but when I choose routes I get no route info
> and I get duplicate waypoints. I expected (assumed) some way to find
> out which routes the waypoints were in, including route names. Is
> that possible? Did I miss something? Aren't duplicate waypoints bad?
>
> Here is my command line, from the GUI (may need quoting):
>> gpsbabel -r -i tpo3 -f S:/temp/TwoRoutes.tpo -o unicsv,datum=N. America 1927 mean,grid=utm -F S:/temp/TwoRoutes.csv
>
> Attached are the source data file (.tpo), Topo's CSV output (.txt),
> GPSBabel output (.csv), and GPX. (I got the same result from reading
> the Topo file as from reading the GPX file.)

I don't think you are missing anything. Universal CSV is not suitable if
your input file contains multiple routes. It is fine processing a file of
waypoints, or a single route (it will process all the routepoints in the
route). But with multiple routes in a file, there is no indication which
route any given routepoint belongs to, so it isn't useful.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
_______________________________________________
Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc
SRE
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: routes in unicsv output

SRE
At 07:07 PM 4/23/2016, lj wrote:
>But with multiple routes in a file, there is no indication which
>route any given routepoint belongs to, so it isn't useful.

Then it should abort, right? There's no way to pick which route it outputs
and there's no way to use the output when there is more than one route!

But preferably I'd like it to emit something useful when I choose to process
routes. All we need is another column that lists the route name for each waypoint.
Then multiple routes are not a problem and multiple waypoints "make sense" since
they are clearly from different routes.

I care about this because unicsv seems to be about the only format which will
calculate UTMs and I need UTMs in some databases for historical reasons. Can't
use GPX because that's decimal degrees by definition. Any other format that
will get me routes and waypoints in UTM / NAD27 ??

Steve


PS: Topo solved the problem in their CSV output by having separate header lines
for each route that aren't part of the CSV data (see TwoRoutes.txt in my
original post) but that's not really gonna work with most CSV readers!
Waypoint+ did a similar thing by starting each line with a keyword that said
whether it was a routepoint or a waypoint. Those are not the solutions I'm
suggesting for GPSBabel, and I want a GPSBabel solution so I don't have to
manually export the data from Topo every time. Error-prone and slow.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
_______________________________________________
Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: routes in unicsv output

Robert Lipe-4
unicsv is really not suitable for routes, as explained. It's a much better input than output and even then, it's terrible for routes and non-trivial tracks.

UTM is hard to find in "computer-y" formats because UTM really only makes sense on a slice of the earth that's mathematically flat.  If you're on a paper map for a SAR mission, that's fine, but it doesn't extrapolate well to the general case. This is why computers want to exchange in WGS-84. They may show it to you in UTM or MGRS or OpenLocationCode or whatever, but they really want to deal in global datums/grids.


"Most csv readers" and complex tracks and routes really is an oxymoron. There's just more data there than really makes sense to express in such a limited format.

Didn't NG add support for GPX like ten years ago in v4 or so?  I know you've struggled to keep the Topo format alive for a while, but if NG seems to have dropped it a number of years ago and negelected it for many years more than that. This format is on my hit list as you're the last known user of it. You really need to start thinking about moving your databases out of North America 1927 and into Global 1984 and out of UTM and out of a discontinued app.

Sorry to be harsh, but you've been with us a long time and  I hope you can use GPSBabel and similar tools to get your data off various obsolete formats. You need to be getting your databases away from NAD27 and UTM, not adding more data into them.

RJL


On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 12:23 AM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 07:07 PM 4/23/2016, lj wrote:
>But with multiple routes in a file, there is no indication which
>route any given routepoint belongs to, so it isn't useful.

Then it should abort, right? There's no way to pick which route it outputs
and there's no way to use the output when there is more than one route!

But preferably I'd like it to emit something useful when I choose to process
routes. All we need is another column that lists the route name for each waypoint.
Then multiple routes are not a problem and multiple waypoints "make sense" since
they are clearly from different routes.

I care about this because unicsv seems to be about the only format which will
calculate UTMs and I need UTMs in some databases for historical reasons. Can't
use GPX because that's decimal degrees by definition. Any other format that
will get me routes and waypoints in UTM / NAD27 ??

Steve


PS: Topo solved the problem in their CSV output by having separate header lines
for each route that aren't part of the CSV data (see TwoRoutes.txt in my
original post) but that's not really gonna work with most CSV readers!
Waypoint+ did a similar thing by starting each line with a keyword that said
whether it was a routepoint or a waypoint. Those are not the solutions I'm
suggesting for GPSBabel, and I want a GPSBabel solution so I don't have to
manually export the data from Topo every time. Error-prone and slow.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
_______________________________________________
Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
_______________________________________________
Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc
SRE
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: routes in unicsv output

SRE
At 11:05 PM 4/23/2016, Robert Lipe wrote:
>unicsv is really not suitable for routes, as explained

Understood. But what did you think of my idea to add a column for route name?

>UTM really only makes sense on a slice of the earth that's mathematically flat

Agreed. I hate UTM.

>Didn't NG add support for GPX like ten years ago in v4 or so?

Sort of. The problem is you can import tracks but not export to GPX.
Thus, my interest in GPSBabel to go the other way.

>thinking about moving your databases out of North America 1927

I use WGS84/NAD83 exclusively. But there are a number of peak baggers still
alive who still use paper maps and I'm writing UTM waypoint files for them.
I can export to Topo's CSV by hand and forward those results on to the
website, but I'm trying to automate part by part. Ultimately I may have
to drop support for some of the old outputs, but I'm hanging on if I can.

>Sorry to be harsh

No need to apologize. Nothing you said was wrong!

Steve


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Find and fix application performance issues faster with Applications Manager
Applications Manager provides deep performance insights into multiple tiers of
your business applications. It resolves application problems quickly and
reduces your MTTR. Get your free trial!
https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/302982198;130105516;z
_______________________________________________
Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc
Loading...