WG: CRC error with Holux M-241

Robert-Peter Westphal

Now it should be ok�.

Hello,

since some time, I receive These Errors when I try to get the GPS file from my Holux M-241. The Firmware of the device is the latest available 1.13. Here is a list of the Errors I recieve :

gpsbabel -t -i m241 -f COM3 -x transform,wpt=trk -o gpx -F C:/Users/Rober/OneDrive/Dokumente/Holux.log/23-08-2014_Maasduinen.gpx

835: Bad CRC ff != 8a (pos 0x0044a0)

836: Bad CRC ff != 15 (pos 0x0044a0)

842: Bad CRC ff != 37 (pos 0x0044a0)

845: Bad CRC ff != 4c (pos 0x0044a0)

847: Bad CRC ff != 64 (pos 0x0044a0)

1281: Bad CRC ff != 7d (pos 0x0067c8)

1293: Bad CRC ff != ce (pos 0x0067c8)

1295: Bad CRC ff != 69 (pos 0x0067c8)

1314: Bad CRC ff != 4e (pos 0x0069bc)

m241 Invalid latitude -2.73929e+38 in waypoint "TP000836"

Fehler beim Aufruf von gpsbabel: Prozess endete mit code 1

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong ? I can tell that earlier exactly the same configuration was running succesfuly for several month. I know that I have updated GPSbabel, but I cannot tell which Version was the fromer one.

Many thanks in advance !

Robert-Peter Westphal

Re: WG: CRC error with Holux M-241

Robert Lipe-4

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Robert-Peter Westphal <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Robert,

man thanks for your answer. Surely I cannot exactly remember if I simply switched off the logger or if I stopped it first. I will again test it with some new tracks.

I'd erase the device first.

The strange thing is that if I download the bin file with the tool provided by Holux, there will be no error at all. I can convert the bin with the Holux tool to GPX and the convert the GPX to the format I need without any error by an online converter in the net. But if I try to convert the bin by GPSBabel to GPX, the same CRC error occurs.

Makes sense that the bin and the protocol report similar (identical?) bad sectors.

Also BT747 tool can download the files without any problems, but much much much too slow.

If BT747  works for you, it's hard to recommend not using it.  If they've figured out how to recover from or ignore that situation, great.  If you can produce a patch to our source from using their source (after verifying my recollection that they're also a GPL project) that works on your device in its current state, better still.

I have no problems believing that Holux (MTK?) code knows more details of how to recover from damaaged sectors.  BT747 has a more focused user base than ours, so perhaps they've developed the expertise to recover from it.

Open source projects work by someone caring enough to deal with rare error cases like this and handling them.  Right now, we know the data stored in the device is "bad", but we don't know how to recover from it.

If you'd like to tackle it, please do.

RJL

Perhaps you have any other good idea ?

Best wishes

Robert-Peter Westphal

eMail :   [hidden email]
Web  :   http://www.Naturfotografie-Westphal.com

Am 25.08.2015 um 01:55 schrieb Robert Lipe <[hidden email]>:

[...]

many thanks for your honest answer !

I erased the logger completely and will check it next Weekend.

For me, BT747 is not a valid option, I will go on using GPSBabel. I’ve been using it for 1 to 1,5 years with success and I think this problem should be solved within the next few days.

Best wishes

Robert-Peter Westphal

Roonstraße 93
47799 Krefeld
Telefon :+49 2151 613716
Telefax :+49 2151 613718
Mobil : +49 1525 4570999
eMail : [hidden email]
Web : http://www.Naturfotografie-Westphal.com

Re: CRC error with Holux M-241

Erik Krause
Am 25.08.2015 um 20:45 schrieb Robert-Peter Westphal:

> For me, BT747 is not a valid option, I will go on using GPSBabel.

It's good to have BT747 as an emergency tool. However, I used the Holux
for a long time and had several occasions when it ran out of battery and
BT747 couldn't recover all of that cases. But I had BT747 on my Nokia
cell phone and used it to back up the tracks via bluetooth while still
being on a hike, which more than once saved important tracks.

--
Erik Krause
Herchersgarten 1