Uploading tracks to Garmin Vista

Jakob Mühldorfer
Hi folks,

I just got a brand new and shiny (*cough*) etrex Vista (non HCx, non CX, not even C)
Serial connection is running just fine, sendmap20 can upload me OSM maps, so in general all is good.
Natrually I'd like to add some tracks to it, to be displayed on the map.
Reading the documentation about the "garmin" format, did not help me sadly.
I tried this:
>gpsbabel -i gpx -f _2016-09-10_.gpx -x simplify,count=1000 -o garmin -F /dev/ttyUSB0

connection seems to work and the device says "Transfer Complete", but nothing shows up in the routes or tracks menu.
Did I run into a bug, did I use gpsbabel wrong here?

Help is much appreciated
Best
Jakob

Re: Uploading tracks to Garmin Vista

Jakob Mühldorfer

pardon my previous email
I forgot the "-t" option in the command line, now tracks upload fine

Am 11.09.2016 um 22:16 schrieb Jakob Mühldorfer:
Hi folks,

I just got a brand new and shiny (*cough*) etrex Vista (non HCx, non CX, not even C)
Serial connection is running just fine, sendmap20 can upload me OSM maps, so in general all is good.
Natrually I'd like to add some tracks to it, to be displayed on the map.
Reading the documentation about the "garmin" format, did not help me sadly.
I tried this:
>gpsbabel -i gpx -f _2016-09-10_.gpx -x simplify,count=1000 -o garmin -F /dev/ttyUSB0

connection seems to work and the device says "Transfer Complete", but nothing shows up in the routes or tracks menu.
Did I run into a bug, did I use gpsbabel wrong here?

Help is much appreciated
Best
Jakob

Re: Uploading tracks to Garmin Vista

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, and welcome.

That's, indeed, working as designed, though if I were doing it from scratch today (with the benefit of questions like this asked over the last 15 years), I'd do it differently.

Sorry that you had a rough landing, but happy GPSBabel-ing.

It does catch my eye that you're relying on the Linux kernel garmin emulation and that's been a pain point for some in the past. Maybe it's fixed and maybe it's super now, but unloading the kernel module (indeed, blacklisting it) and "-o garmin -F usb:"  may produce better results. Garmin kernel stuff was broken for a Very Long Time with many people experiencing problems and maybe it's better now.

RJL

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Jakob Mühldorfer <[hidden email]> wrote:

pardon my previous email
I forgot the "-t" option in the command line, now tracks upload fine

Am 11.09.2016 um 22:16 schrieb Jakob Mühldorfer:
Hi folks,

I just got a brand new and shiny (*cough*) etrex Vista (non HCx, non CX, not even C)
Serial connection is running just fine, sendmap20 can upload me OSM maps, so in general all is good.
Natrually I'd like to add some tracks to it, to be displayed on the map.
Reading the documentation about the "garmin" format, did not help me sadly.
I tried this:
>gpsbabel -i gpx -f _2016-09-10_.gpx -x simplify,count=1000 -o garmin -F /dev/ttyUSB0

connection seems to work and the device says "Transfer Complete", but nothing shows up in the routes or tracks menu.
Did I run into a bug, did I use gpsbabel wrong here?

Help is much appreciated
Best
Jakob

Re: Uploading tracks to Garmin Vista

Jakob Mühldorfer
Did not realize it needs something in the kernel, I thought gpsbabel speaks directly to the COM port.
Either way it is reliable and working, but if it ever fails I will try your advice, thanks!

One more question I could not figure out:
How do I split the routes based on Waypoints? I have to split it into routes of 125 points each, either the gpx or directly during upload.

Jakob

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Jakob Mühldorfer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did not realize it needs something in the kernel, I thought gpsbabel speaks directly to the COM port.
Either way it is reliable and working, but if it ever fails I will try your advice, thanks!

It doesn't NEED it. The device you have doesn't actually act like a serial port at the USB level. There is a Linux driver that makes it look like a serial port. In the past, that code hasn't worked very well and it was best to remove it and let us speak Garmin protocol directly to the device.

https://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html remains one of the higher trafficked pages on our site, though I'll admit that contributions to it in the form of making it work on this month's distribution have largely dried up. Whether that's because the problems with that driver were fixed or that it became easier to derive the current recipe from the published ones won't be clear from our view. Then again, GPSes using the Garmin protocol are pushing ten years old at this point so maybe that market has self-selected itself to extinction.

It's been such a frequently asked question of users of that era of Garmin and Linux that I thought it was best to speculatively answer it.

One more question I could not figure out:
How do I split the routes based on Waypoints? I have to split it into routes of 125 points each, either the gpx or directly during upload.

I think you're looking for the 'count' option in our simplify filter.

RJL