Unexpected character

Argus Ray
Hello All:

I'm attempting to install GPSbabel onto a Windows 10 machine.  As soon as the install process finishes and opens the application an error message appears.  The error states:
  "Invalid return data at line 3: unexpected character."

The same error appears anytime I open GPSbabel after it has been installed.

Please advise how to resolve this error message.  Thanks.

Argus

Re: Unexpected character

stantstk@pacbell.net
Hi, Argus —

I have GPSBabel installed on my Mac running under OS X 10.12.5 (and just a few days ago under the previous OS X release, and before that, and before that, and...) and I, TOO, have had the same error pop up.

Funny thing is that I had not gotten that error a few months ago, and now I do.

And the other funny thing is that I have NOT upgraded GPSBabel to its latest version, either. I’m still running GPSBabel 1.5.2 since it was the last version which accepted drag-and-drop files from the finder into the Input dialog box. The latest versions, if I’m still correct, won’t allow that.

The application STILL appears to work correctly though, despite the error that you mention. I click “OK” and just move on.

Stan

On May 28, 2017, at 2:03 PM, Argus Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All:

I'm attempting to install GPSbabel onto a Windows 10 machine.  As soon as the install process finishes and opens the application an error message appears.  The error states:
  "Invalid return data at line 3: unexpected character."

The same error appears anytime I open GPSbabel after it has been installed.

Please advise how to resolve this error message.  Thanks.

Argus

Re: Unexpected character

Greg-110
Same here with v1.5.4 and macOS 10.12.5. Haven’t been using GPSBabel much lately (months since last use?) but I don’t remember seeing the error before.

Never thought to try drag and drop, but it works here. I ran a gpx through to json.

No idea if this is a problem, but what I normally see at the beginning of a json (doing a bit of mapping software) is at the end.

                    ]
                ],
                "type": "LineString"
            },
            "properties": {
            },
            "type": "Feature"
        }
    ],
    "type": "FeatureCollection"
}

Apparently not a problem as one software, QGIS, accepted the file without any issues.

Greg

On May 28, 2017, at 2:30 PM, Stan Glaser <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Greg — I guess the drag-and-drop feature that stopped working (I believe) in 1.5.3 is now working again in 1.5.4. I just downloaded that version and ran it to confirm.

I ALSO get the same error Argus reported as well, but as I mentioned regarding 1.5.2, I click “OK” and the app still appears to run correctly.

Stan

On May 28, 2017, at 2:51 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Erik Krause
Am 28.05.2017 um 23:03 schrieb Argus Ray:
> The error states:
>    "Invalid return data at line 3: unexpected character."
>
> The same error appears anytime I open GPSbabel after it has been installed.

Same here. Windows 10, GPSBabal 1.5.3 Didn't occur last time I used it
(some weeks ago). Installed July 2016

I guessed it must have something to do with a file that GPSBabel loads
at startup and because of this I disabled the new version check in
settings. Now the message doesn't show up any more. If I go to
Help->search for updates it shows again...

--
Erik Krause
Herchersgarten 1

SRE

Re: Unexpected character

SRE
At 01:20 AM 5/29/17, Erik Krause wrote:
>Now the message doesn't show up any more. If I go to Help->search for updates it shows again...

For what it's worth, I'm running Win10 and GPSBabel 1.5.4 and have never
seen that error, even when I (just now) tried searching for updates.

Re: Unexpected character

Robert Lipe-4
Sorry. Server side issue for update check, now resolved.