Troubles converting to gpx a kml file from Google Location History

Troubles converting to gpx a kml file from Google Location History

gerlos
Hello everyone!
I'm new here. Just downloaded latest GPSBabel from the web (ver. 1.4.4), to convert a kml file to gpx.

I want to use GPSPhotoLinker to geotag a bunch of photos, and have a kml file downloaded from my Google Maps Location History (see https://maps.google.com/locationhistory). GPSPhotoLinker needs a gpx file, so I tried to use GPSBabel to convert my kml file to gpx, but got no success.

I can open this kml file with Google Earth and see a track of my movements, but when I try to convert it using GPSBabel I get an empty track.

I tried doing the conversion both using GPSBabelfe GUI with default options and from the command line with something like:
gpsbabel -i kml -f history-06-20-2013.kml -o gpx -F output.gpx

In both cases, I got a result like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gpx
  version="1.0"
  creator="GPSBabel - http://www.gpsbabel.org"
  xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0"
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd">
<time>2013-06-28T18:41:15Z</time>
</gpx>

As far as I understand, this is an "empty" track.

Maybe I'm missing something, or I'm doing something wrong. I'm attaching a shortened version of my input kml file, hope someone can give me a clue.

Regards,
gerlos

--
"Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist,
but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."

history-06-20-2013.kml (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Troubles converting to gpx a kml file from Google Location History

gerlos

Il giorno 28/giu/2013, alle ore 21.11, gerlos ha scritto:

> Hello everyone!
> I'm new here. Just downloaded latest GPSBabel from the web (ver. 1.4.4), to convert a kml file to gpx.
>
> I want to use GPSPhotoLinker to geotag a bunch of photos, and have a kml file downloaded from my Google Maps Location History (see https://maps.google.com/locationhistory). GPSPhotoLinker needs a gpx file, so I tried to use GPSBabel to convert my kml file to gpx, but got no success.

Forgot to say 2 things:
- I'm using GPSBabel on Mac OS X 10.6.8
- Going to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input and uploading the same file I got it converted fine to gpx. How do I get the same result running GPSBabel locally?

regards
gerlos

--
"Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist,
but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
                                        G. K. Chesterton
       <http://gerlos.altervista.org>
gerlos +- - - > gnu/linux registred user #311588

Re: Troubles converting to gpx a kml file from Google Location History

Robert Lipe-4
That file is not created using formal KML; it's using a Google Earth-specific extensions to KML that we can't read, so it's effectively an empty file for us.

If GPSVisualizer can read it, perhaps they can write it as OGC-standard KML which we can read.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM, gerlos <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il giorno 28/giu/2013, alle ore 21.11, gerlos ha scritto:

> Hello everyone!
> I'm new here. Just downloaded latest GPSBabel from the web (ver. 1.4.4), to convert a kml file to gpx.
>
> I want to use GPSPhotoLinker to geotag a bunch of photos, and have a kml file downloaded from my Google Maps Location History (see https://maps.google.com/locationhistory). GPSPhotoLinker needs a gpx file, so I tried to use GPSBabel to convert my kml file to gpx, but got no success.

Forgot to say 2 things:
- I'm using GPSBabel on Mac OS X 10.6.8
- Going to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input and uploading the same file I got it converted fine to gpx. How do I get the same result running GPSBabel locally?

regards
gerlos

--
"Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist,
but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
                                        G. K. Chesterton
       <http://gerlos.altervista.org>
gerlos +- - - > gnu/linux registred user #311588

Re: Troubles converting to gpx a kml file from Google Location History

tsteven4-2
Not only does your sample use GE specific extensions, it doesn't even use them according to the schema specified: http://www.google.com/kml/ext/2.2.  Does Google Maps Location History still produce kml like this?  If so a bug should be filed against Google Maps.

Within a track all the when elements need to appear before all the gx:coord elements:
  <complexType name="TrackType">
    <complexContent>
      <extension base="kml:AbstractGeometryType">
        <sequence>
          <element ref="kml:extrude" minOccurs="0"/>
          <element ref="kml:tessellate" minOccurs="0"/>
          <element ref="kml:altitudeModeGroup" minOccurs="0"/>
          <element ref="kml:when" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
          <element ref="gx:coord" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
          <element ref="gx:angles" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
          <element ref="kml:Model" minOccurs="0"/>
          <element ref="kml:ExtendedData" minOccurs="0"/>
          <element ref="gx:AbstractTrackSimpleExtensionGroup" minOccurs="0"
            maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
        </sequence>
      </extension>
    </complexContent>
  </complexType>

On 6/29/2013 4:13 AM, Robert Lipe wrote:
That file is not created using formal KML; it's using a Google Earth-specific extensions to KML that we can't read, so it's effectively an empty file for us.

If GPSVisualizer can read it, perhaps they can write it as OGC-standard KML which we can read.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM, gerlos <[hidden email]> wrote:

Il giorno 28/giu/2013, alle ore 21.11, gerlos ha scritto:

> Hello everyone!
> I'm new here. Just downloaded latest GPSBabel from the web (ver. 1.4.4), to convert a kml file to gpx.
>
> I want to use GPSPhotoLinker to geotag a bunch of photos, and have a kml file downloaded from my Google Maps Location History (see https://maps.google.com/locationhistory). GPSPhotoLinker needs a gpx file, so I tried to use GPSBabel to convert my kml file to gpx, but got no success.

Forgot to say 2 things:
- I'm using GPSBabel on Mac OS X 10.6.8
- Going to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input and uploading the same file I got it converted fine to gpx. How do I get the same result running GPSBabel locally?

regards
gerlos

--
"Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist,
but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
                                        G. K. Chesterton
       <http://gerlos.altervista.org>
gerlos +- - - > gnu/linux registred user #311588

Build for Windows Store.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev

Re: Troubles converting to gpx a kml file from Google Location History

Julie
Hello! If you are searching for an online tool to convert KML files to GPX format, try using http://kml2gpx.com/. It is available for free and it's simple to use. It works also from GPX to KML files.