Trouble converting waypoints

Jeremy Grose

I am trying to convert a list of user defined waypoints into gpx format so as I can load the batch of waypoints into Basecamp.

My preferred option is to use the ”universal CSV with field structure in the first line” as the input file and the GPX XML format as the output file. However all my attempts at converting my list of waypoints are failing. I have tried using both excel and word for the input files.

Below is a screenshot taken after my latest attempt at conversion and I have also attached the file that was created. Although the converter tells me the translation was successful, the output file is essentially empty.

2015-02-10_11h25_25.png

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Jeremy Grose

Senior Field Supervisor

18 Menmuir St Winnellie Darwin NT 0820

Phone: Darwin 08 8947 5588 or Aileron 08 8956 9003

Mobile: 0429 293 939

Email: [hidden email]

Web: www.arultd.com

Waypoints.xls (53K) Download Attachment
GPS Data.doc (37K) Download Attachment
points.gpx (272 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Trouble converting waypoints

Pierre Brial
Hello,

While in excel you should export your file in csv format, comma
separated. Your file should look like this :

name,lon,lat
"Rocher",55.22358 ,-21.06577
"Trou Benjoin",55.21176,-21.06516
"Caverne Cachalot",55.998849,-21.06759254
"Bois dOlive",55.24336,-21.56616
"Caverne de la Tortue",55.95038,-21.03201

All the best

Pierre

On 10/02/2015 06:56, Jeremy Grose wrote:

> I am trying to convert a list of user defined waypoints into gpx format
> so as I can load the batch of waypoints into Basecamp.
>
> My preferred option is to use the ”universal CSV with field structure in
> the first line” as the input file and the GPX XML format as the output
> file. However all my attempts at converting my list of waypoints are
> failing. I have tried using both excel and word for the input files.
>
> Below is a screenshot taken after my latest attempt at conversion and I
> have also attached the file that was created. Although the converter
> tells me the translation was successful, the output file is essentially
> empty.
>
> 2015-02-10_11h25_25.png
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Regards
>
> Jeremy Grose
>
> *Senior Field Supervisor*
>
> 18 Menmuir St Winnellie Darwin NT 0820
>
> *P*hone: Darwin 08 8947 5588 or Aileron 08 8956 9003
>
> *M*obile: 0429 293 939
>
> *E*mail:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> *W*eb:*www.arultd.com <http://www.arafuraresources.com.au/>*

Re: Trouble converting waypoints

Mat-53
Hi Jeremy,
  It looks like your xls file has all the waypoints data in one column.
Its not a valid csv.

I copied your data and saved it as waypoints.csv. attached is the input
and output with the following messages:

gpsbabel -t -i csv -f C:/Users/menm/Dropbox/test data/waypoints.csv -o
gpx -F C:/Users/menm/Dropbox/test data/waypoints.gpx
XCSV attempt to read C:/Users/menm/Dropbox/test data/waypoints.csv as a
track or route, but this format only supports waypoints on read.
Reading as waypoints instead.

Translation successful

Does this help?

On 2015-02-10 13:56, Jeremy Grose wrote:

> I am trying to convert a list of user defined waypoints into gpx
> format so as I can load the batch of waypoints into Basecamp.
>
> My preferred option is to use the "universal CSV with field structure
> in the first line" as the input file and the GPX XML format as the
> output file. However all my attempts at converting my list of
> waypoints are failing. I have tried using both excel and word for the
> input files.
>
> Below is a screenshot taken after my latest attempt at conversion and
> I have also attached the file that was created. Although the converter
> tells me the translation was successful, the output file is
> essentially empty.
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Regards
>
> Jeremy Grose
>
> SENIOR FIELD SUPERVISOR
>
> 18 Menmuir St Winnellie Darwin NT 0820
>
> Phone: Darwin 08 8947 5588 or Aileron 08 8956 9003
>
> Mobile: 0429 293 939
>
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Web: WWW.ARULTD.COM [1]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.arafuraresources.com.au/

> your
> leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more.
> Take a

waypoints.gpx (2K) Download Attachment
waypoints.csv (442 bytes) Download Attachment