Track Description (as in KML) available elsewhere?

Track Description (as in KML) available elsewhere?

Claudius
Hi there,

i'm currently streamlining my conversion process, and i stumbled across
the nice track summaries that KML contains. They look somewhat like this:

> Track 2014-10-20 10:13:32
>
> Distance 354.7 meters
> Min Alt -9.000 meters
> Max Alt 1.000 meters
> Max Speed 8.0 km/hour
> Avg Speed 2.2 km/hour
> Start Time 2014-10-20T08:13:32Z
> End Time 2014-10-20T08:23:15Z

They appear to be generated in
http://gpsbabel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/kml.c?view=markup#l551
- the KML format.

Is there something similar that i could use elsewhere? I could, of
course, convert to kml once, take the description, and discard the rest
of the kml. But what i have in mind would work more like an output format.

Example:

> gpsbabel -i gpx -f test.gpx -o stats -F -

could print this in some neat format that could be used by other scripts
(or just human readable).

If there's a different way of achieving this already _in_ gpsbabel,
please let me know :)

Best Wishes,
Claudius

Re: Track Description (as in KML) available elsewhere?

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, Claudius.

The answer is "not really".  gpssim and gtrnctr both call track_recompute, but neither surface it in a generally useful way.

When Google charted that (and related) work in kml, it made sense, but neither Google nor I were really happy with it and it's not the way we'd do it now.  It has problems like baking both formatting and  units (meters/km/times/date formats) into the text.  In modern KML, that would be ExtendedData and in modern Earth, much of that is available in Elevation Profile even without that data now.   So it stands out as a problem in a couple of ways.

It's also a little abnormal in that it's not really a conversion thing.  All the data in those points are computed from data elsewhere.  Generally, we leave formatting/displaying such things to the apps and don't try to get excessively clever about adding additional information that the apps may or may not be able to read.  This data, for example, is visible in left-hand panel in Earth and in the balloons when you click on them, but is totally disjoint with Elevation Profile, even in Earth.

If you did capture that description, be prepared to strip the HTML formatting out - and be prepared for it to break at some point in the future as the next time I have to look at that code, I'll probably move it to ExtendedData which will make the files less huge but also make it less human-readable.

Am 22.10.2014 um 17:23 schrieb Robert Lipe:
> It's also a little abnormal in that it's not really a conversion thing.
> All the data in those points are computed from data elsewhere.

In my case, i'm shaping my files up for archival. I'd rather not depend
on functionality of a software (Google Earth Elevation Profile in that
case), to work in, say, 15 years. That's why i found the summary so
appealing. It's derived data that i can't easily generate any other way.
But i can store it in my files today.

I'm not neccessarily saying that this is (or should be) the scope of
gpsbabel. If there's any other tools out there, i'd happily combine two
or three tools.

I found a bunch of GUI tools like "GPS Track Analyse.net", but i'd
really prefer something i can script as well as gpsbabel. If you have
any tips on that front, i'm all ears.

> Generally, we leave formatting/displaying such things to the apps and
> don't try to get excessively clever about adding additional information
> that the apps may or may not be able to read.

> If you did capture that description, be prepared to strip the HTML
> formatting out - and be prepared for it to break at some point in the
> future

Thanks for the warning!

Best wishes,
Claudius