Style files and UTM_EASTING/NORTHING

Ansgar Esztermann
Hello List,

I have a bunch of track logs from MacGPS Pro -- a simple line-based
format with tab-separated values. I thought converting them to GPX so I
can import them into an online training diary should be easy, but
somehow it isn't: elevation and time are written correctly, but all
coordinates show up as 0 deg latitude and longitude.

I tried using the same style file for both input and output, and all
point came out as  31 N 166021 0. (The correct zone would be 32 U).

Are there any sample style files that use UTM_EASTING and UTM_NORTHING?

Another point that may be a problem: some tracks are Gauss-Krueger
rather than UTM. Can GPSBabel convert between different coordinate
systems and datums (or is it data?)? If not, does anyone know of a
program that can?

Thanks a lot,

A.

Re: Style files and UTM_EASTING/NORTHING

tsteven4-2
See the UTM* fields in
http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/style_define.html
See the DATUM field in
http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/style_global.html
We do some conversions.  Gauss Krueger seems to be used in a few
different ways and I am not sure which you meant.

On 8/7/2015 6:05 AM, Ansgar Esztermann wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I have a bunch of track logs from MacGPS Pro -- a simple line-based
> format with tab-separated values. I thought converting them to GPX so I
> can import them into an online training diary should be easy, but
> somehow it isn't: elevation and time are written correctly, but all
> coordinates show up as 0 deg latitude and longitude.
>
> I tried using the same style file for both input and output, and all
> point came out as  31 N 166021 0. (The correct zone would be 32 U).
>
> Are there any sample style files that use UTM_EASTING and UTM_NORTHING?
>

> Another point that may be a problem: some tracks are Gauss-Krueger
> rather than UTM. Can GPSBabel convert between different coordinate
> systems and datums (or is it data?)? If not, does anyone know of a
> program that can?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> A.

Re: Style files and UTM_EASTING/NORTHING

This is a bug, we should have a fix soon.

On 8/7/2015 6:05 AM, Ansgar Esztermann wrote:
> but all
> coordinates show up as 0 deg latitude and longitude.

Re: Style files and UTM_EASTING/NORTHING

tsteven4-2
Ansgar,

The 0 deg lat lon bug with xcsv UTM input should be fixed with
https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/commit/2419f4a2144537b680f3386d5a8ed83d72570ce6.
You can get the code with
git clone https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel.git
or download a zip file of the source  at
https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/archive/master.zip

There is a sample style file using UTM input created in our testsuite,
see
https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/blob/master/gpsbabel/testo.d/xcsv.test.
You will have to build from source to see if the fix resolves your
problems.  Please let us know if you have further issues.

Steve
On 8/8/2015 7:54 AM, tsteven4 wrote:
> This is a bug, we should have a fix soon.
>
> On 8/7/2015 6:05 AM, Ansgar Esztermann wrote:
>> but all
>> coordinates show up as 0 deg latitude and longitude.

Re: Style files and UTM_EASTING/NORTHING

Robert Lipe-4
Good, thorough, fix. Thanx.

On 08/08/2015 12:26 AM, tsteven4 wrote:
> See the UTM* fields in
> http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/style_define.html
> See the DATUM field in
> http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/style_global.html
> We do some conversions.  Gauss Krueger seems to be used in a few
> different ways and I am not sure which you meant.

Thanks a lot, I will check this.

On 08/08/2015 07:46 PM, tsteven4 wrote:
> The 0 deg lat lon bug with xcsv UTM input should be fixed with
> https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/commit
This is good news.

Thanks a lot!

A.