Split GPX file by day

Richard Stern

I am trying to split a GPX file into separate days.  I think I’ve done it correctly but I can’t find the translation output file anywhere on my computer.  Where would this be located?

Following is information on what I’ve done:

I have a rather large GPX file that was created over a two week period that I need to split into separate days.  This is a Windows 7 system.  I have just downloaded GPSBabel, and am using the graphical interface. I have

-          File Names:  Selected the file name

-          Options  First options box is blank

-          Translation options:  Selected Waypoints, Routes, Tracks and the following Filters:

o   In left box, Tracks, Waypoints, Routes & Tracks, Miscellaneous are all checked

o   Title field is unchecked

o   Move field is unchecked

o   Start field is 01 Jun 2017 12:00:01 AM

o   Stop field is 25 Jun 2017 11:59:59 PM

o   “Pack” is checked

o   “Merge” is unchecked

o   “Split by date” is selected

o   Other fields are not selected or checked

-          Output is to be File, with GPX XML selected

When I run the program I get the following message:

gpsbabel -w -r -t -i gpx -f D:/2017-06 Europe Viking/20170619VikingCruise_2.gpx -x track,pack,split,start=20170601040001,stop=20170626035959 -o gpx -F Viking_by_Day

Translation successful

But, as stated, I can’t find the output files.  (Note that all data is on the D: drive, not C:.)

Help Please!

Rick

Re: Split GPX file by day

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, Richard. Welcome.

Viking_by_Day is going to be created in the current directory of the current drive. If you want it in a specific directory or on a certain drive, you should choose the outupt directory as the default can sometimes be non-writable. If your GPSBabel is from between early 2015 or so and 2016-02-14, GPSBabel doesn't report errors when writing into directories where there aren's sufficient permissions, such as the default Windows application dirs. The later versions will report "Cannot open 'viking' for write. Error was REASON" to help you discover the reason and do something with it.

If Windows Explorer can't find Viking_by_Day, I'll bet that you have an older version and that it's trying to write someplace where it can't.

My prescription is to choose D:/2017-thatdirectory as your output.  Just in the filename dialog to set the output dir, choose the "where" to pick the drive and/or folder where you want it to go.