Simplify filter with relative option complains about missing hdop

Simplify filter with relative option complains about missing hdop

Robert Voigt
I'm running the simplify filter on a gpx file like this:
-x simplify,error=0.003k,relative

It says:
simplify: relative needs hdop information.

All my track points have hdop, like in this example:

       <trkpt lat="49.3517859" lon="8.1328245">

         <ele>136.54000091552734</ele>

         <time>2015-09-27T08:58:56Z</time>

         <hdop>3.0</hdop>

         <extensions>

           <speed>6.25000524520874</speed>

         </extensions>

       </trkpt>

What's wrong?

Re: Simplify filter with relative option complains about missing hdop

Robert Voigt
Ok, found out that about 10 % of my track points have hdop 0.0. I
replaced those with 10.0, now it runs through the relative filter.

This is a suggestion for an improvement: Accept the invalid hdop and
fall back to another error metric for those points.

SRE

reading KMZ files without first uncompressing to KML

SRE
Google Earth no longer has an option to save KML or GPX files, or at
least on my PC it only offers the option to save as KMZ. I looked here
        http://www.gpsbabel.org/capabilities.html
but did not find KMZ files. I used PeaZip to extract the KML, and
GPSBabel reads that just fine.

A quick search of the web finds lots of complaints and solutions to
uncompress and read the KML, but since GPSBabel knows how to read
other compressed files is there a way (or would it be reasonable to
request a way) to read KMZ files directly?

Re: reading KMZ files without first uncompressing to KML

Robert Lipe-4
Hi Steve.

Earth should still write KML if you have data that can be represented as a KML - not all can, particularly if you have dependencies on local files.

The problem with us reading KMZ is that there's are a lot of nuances in them that we can't handle very well.  KMZ is more than "rename foo.kml->doc.kml and stuff it in a .zip"

I think we can do better than we do today, but I have long had a feeling that we're opening the door for a lot of support problems.  The reality is that we can support only a tiny percentage of the expressiveness of even KML.

RJL

SRE

At 05:28 PM 10/4/2015, Robert Lipe wrote:
>Earth should still write KML if you have data that can be represented as a KML
>I have long had a feeling that we're opening the door for a lot of support problems

Interesting. I think that's the key. I'm not all that familiar with Earth,
but I was pretty sure yesterday that KMZ was the only SaveAs option shown...
and the KMZ file contained a picture folder plus KML file. Either I just
didn't see the KML output option or it is not always present. Either way,
your answer makes sense! I'll edit and save more carefully, and withdraw
my request.

Re: reading KMZ files without first uncompressing to KML

Robert Lipe-4
That would be a poster child of something that doesn't make sense as a KML.  You want one file that contains the linestrings and placemarks and styles and "geo stuff" (hint: that's a KML or most any file we can handle) _and_ you want the picture.  A KMZ can do that.  A KML is one component of that.  A KMZ can hold many KMLs that can reference each other in non-obvious ways.  A KMZ can take file://d://home/steve/Pictures/beach.jpg and make a copy of it insize the zip co it can travel along with the KML; A KML can have only that base reference which will work on that computer, but none other.

We can't even convert from some of those KMLs to KML without damaging them pretty badly, let alone any arbitrary destination.  I actually had a conversation once that suggested we should do an HTTP fetch of the <Icon> (after resolving the hover statys from the StyleMap in a Style) and do image detection "Oh, that's a picture of a lighthouse" so we'd use the "lighthouse" icon in Lowranceusr or whatever destination it was.  Obviously, we should also run speech detection on any attached sound files. :-)

There are a few multimedia style things I'd like to better support, but they're pretty low on my list and "full KML" is pie in the sky.

KML is pretty awesome at the things it's good at, but it's pretty far away from the data structures that are central to GPSBabel, which are strongly influenced by the needs of the many apps and receivers we support, and there's a lot of weird things we just can't support.

For example, if you have a KML containing Folders of the simplest Placemarks ever and convert them to KML, we'll lose the Folder structure just because we don't have a sensible way to retain that information because so few other programs contain that concept.

If you're actually using the expressiveness of KML, libraries and programs like libkml[1], ogr2ogr, and GDAL may all be better starting places.

RJL

[1] Trivia: I once had a GPSBabel that hooked to libkml enough to use for basic read and write.  It had enough impedance matching problems that I'm reluctant to revisit that even now that we're in C++ and the mechanics would be less terrible.