Removal of pathaway format

Andrei Boros
Hi,

I've been using GPSBabel for a long time and recently I wanted to upgrade to a more up to date version. I've been using 1.3.x branch.
Unfortunately, any version newer or including 1.5.0 is no good to me because the format I use most has been removed from it.

The format in question is pathaway (pdb).

I know PALM Inc has been dead (killed by HP) for a while now. However "Muskoka Tech Inc", the maker of Pathaway software continues to offer Pathaway for Palm to this day. See the webpage here: http://www.pathaway.com/purchase.php?id=buy (bottom of page).

I have had my own (small) contributions to this format in GPSBabel once.
I am using it because I still use my Palm T|X device, the combination of this device, a bluetooth GPS and Pathaway is still my best and most efficient way of geocaching (especially hiding).
I also have Android device with Pathaway for Android, however the Android implementation is still not as good and the Palm one. I have been collaborating with Muskoka Tech Inc as a tester and sending them bug reports and feedback to help improve this Android version. It has improved, yet still lacks some features. (in short, there are a lot of user interraction I use often that are still simpler on the Palm version).
I know the Palm version of Pathaway is no longer developed, but it is by no means dead.

I can understand the removal of some old formats, however, I respectfully request this format be kept as part of GPSBabel at least as long as Muskoka Tech Inc offers Pathaway for Palm on their website.

Thank you.
Andrei
--

ing. Andrei Boros

Colectiv administrare-dezvoltare SITE
Radio Romania
Tel:   +40-21-303-1870
       +40-745-115721
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Removal of pathaway format

Robert Lipe-4
Being a bit of an aficionado  of lost technologies myself (and the owner of a bucket of Handspring class devices) I'm somewhat sympathetic to the plea.  But I have to serve the needs of the many, not the few.  1.5 was a pretty radical rewrite for us and it was discussed heavily on this list.

The last non-mechanical change I see to pathaway was in April, 2010.  I turned Palm/OS support off in Aug, 2013.

We bring on about 500 new users a day.  I'll let you do the math on the percentage if you're so inclined.  The punchline is pretty clear that Palm/OS pdb files don't matter these days.

I'm not searching the archives at this hour, but you're the first I can recall hearing mourning the loss of any of the PDB formats.  Please don't search for more.  Even if there are 10 reports in the last two years, it's minuscule in the grand scheme.

I certainly recognize your name (again, I'm not searching...) from past contributions, but we've put Palm/OS support over with Big Endian or 36-bit ints non-IEEE floating point at this point in the project.

Unless you're willing to personally take on the maintenance and support costs, for one user, I'd rather disable the upgrade check (or just tell you to ignore the 'upgrade' prompt...) than to dust off any Palm OS formats at this point.

We've kept the code.  If you're willing to move it out of deprecated and generally deal with it, I'll let you.  I'm not spending any more time on Palm/OS at this point other than to nag a new maintainer to fix it and forward usage/bugreports to them.  If you're willing to step up for that, OK.

Instinct tells me that you should stay on 1.3.4/1.4.[234] (?) and ignore the update prompts forever. If you've chosen to stay trapped in time with one of your technology decisions, you should probably stay there with all the related ones.

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Andrei Boros <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel:   <a href="tel:%2B40-21-303-1870" value="+40213031870" target="_blank">+40-21-303-1870
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Removal of pathaway format

Andrei Boros
Hi,

I do understand the statistics behind it, though I may not entirely agree with some decisions based on them.
(the pathaway format removal with the reasons I stated and also with the removal of xcsv from the GUI. Using command line in windows isn't so much fun as in linux...)

Anyway, Pathaway software has evolved to new platforms (android and ios) and has a new file format which, AFAIK, is not yet supported by GPSBabel. It is a csv like plain text format.
I would like to try and implement gpsbabel module for this format and together with it maintain pathaway pdb format module.

Please instruct me on how can I join.
Thank you.

On 2015-05-19 8:23 AM, Robert Lipe wrote:
[...]

Tel:   <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B40-21-303-1870" value="+40213031870" target="_blank">+40-21-303-1870
       <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B40-745-115721" value="+40745115721" target="_blank">+40-745-115721
Email: [hidden email]

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:40 AM, Andrei Boros <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I do understand the statistics behind it, though I may not entirely agree with some decisions based on them.
(the pathaway format removal with the reasons I stated and also with the removal of xcsv from the GUI. Using command line in windows isn't so much fun as in linux...)

Anyway, Pathaway software has evolved to new platforms (android and ios) and has a new file format which, AFAIK, is not yet supported by GPSBabel. It is a csv like plain text format.
I would like to try and implement gpsbabel module for this format and together with it maintain pathaway pdb format module.

Please instruct me on how can I join.

In a rare "benevolent dictator" move, I'm going to keep the various pdb formats dead.  They're very messy in our current infrastructure and the maintenance cost for a single user - even if you manage to bring it back - just doesn't make sense. There are a number of security/stability issues with our PDB formats that I'd just like to not revisit given the size of that user base. (You're seemingly it.  Sorry.)   If you're clinging to early 2000-era software, you should stay with an early 2000 vintage of GPSBabel.  Of course, you're welcome to maintain an older version forever. That's very much a point of open source software; unlike closed source software, you're free to modify and keep that even when what's good for you and what's good for the project don't match.

If the new format (which sounds like a much better use of everyone's time) really is a sane xcsv variant, supporting it via our custom styles ( http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/Styles.html ) is probably quite easy and unlikely to involve any programming at all.   If you provide a new style file, a few paragraphs of doc, and a sample file, we'll add it to the project to be included in future versions.

RJL

Thank you.

Re: Removal of pathaway format

Andrei Boros
Regarding Pathaway new format, I've tried several times to write a style file and failed.
A route or track file may be converted without problems in most cases, but the point file has some issues.
I'll explain them in detail and please tell me if there are ways around them with current implementation of XCSV.

Format is like plain CSV, with fields separated by , and strings enclosed by "

The problems are the following:
1) , (COMMA) is not allowed inside a string. There is no escaping method and Pathaway just nukes the comma.
2) " (DOUBLEQUOTE) is not allowed inside a string. There is no escaping method and Pathaway just nukes it.
3) \n (NEWLINE) which is the record separator is allowed inside the string unescaped. AFAIK the file is interpreted as containing a multiline string untill the next "

Re: Removal of pathaway format

Robert Lipe-4
If commas and newlines are field and record separators except when they aren't, then it's not a good fit for xcsv styles and would need a C++ implementation.  Look at ozi.cc (and others) as an example format that calls csv_lineparse(), but note that they tend to be examples of C more than Qt / C++.

A more modern parsing example would take the approximate shape of https://github.com/hnaohiro/qt-csv (unclear licensing, needs generalization for quote characters, etc.)

Writing quoted xsv is generally easier than reading it.