Re: Google Maps & GPSBabel

Robert Lipe
Greg Flynn - Omnus Electronics wrote:

> Robert,
>
>     I have been trying to convert the Google maps data using the
>     suggested "output=js" tacked onto the directions link, but the
>     file I save makes GPSBabel crash.  Does the Google Maps conversion
>     still work as I read that XML was disabled.

I just spot checked it and it seems basically OK.  It looks like they
are doing stricter input address matching now so we should probably
amend our example to look like:

#!/bin/sh

FROM="233 S. Upper Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL"
TO="1060 W. Addison St, Chicago, IL"

wget -O - "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=$FROM to $TO&output=js" \
   2>/dev/null >google_map.js

~/src/gpsbabel.virgin/gpsbabel -i google -f google_map.js -o gpx -F google_map.gpx

Note the "addition of "Upper" and "St" in FROM and TO.

Someone did recently report that coordinates instead of "real" addresses
didn't work.

Can you provide a test case that crashes?

Re: Re: Google Maps & GPSBabel

Ron Parker-2
At 11:33 AM 6/22/2005, Robert Lipe wrote:
>FROM="233 S. Upper Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL"
>TO="1060 W. Addison St, Chicago, IL"

A free copy of gpsbabel to anyone who recognizes what the above addresses
are. :)

Greg, try the first fix I suggested in the reply I just sent to the
previous google problem and let us know if it works for you.