Question

Melchor Lizarraga

I want change a track file extensión .txt  to a  .gpx extensión and I dont know fill out  both “Format” in GPS Babel software.

Cound you help me?

Best regards and thank-you

Melchor Lizarraga

Re: Question

Stephen Furner

Yes it was a hotplug problem. The solution I arrived at as a result of consulting Ubuntu and Linux USB lists is given here.

In an emergency for a quick fix that will work until the PC gets turned off and on again, the following will allow applications with a simple graphical UI such as Gsbabbel or Viking that use Gpsbabel to download and preprocess tracks from a GPS via its USB

sudo chmod 777 /dev/bus/usb -R

For a longer term solution that gives plug and play the udev rules is the right way to go in this case. For this a text file called 51-garmin.rules needs to be placed into the directory /etc/udev/rules.d

The text file 51-garmin.rules contains the following rule:

ATTR{idVendor}=="091e", ATTR{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="666"

This will set the correct access permissions for the garmin gps to be accessed via its USB during the system startup.

So far I have not seen any problems with this rule in my installation of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS when used to download from a Garmin GPSmap 96.

Stephen

On May 11, 2016 4:06 PM, "Robert Lipe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is more involved than changing the name. What program created the original?  Feel free to provide ( reasonable sized ) examples.

On May 6, 2016 7:05 AM, "Melchor Lizarraga" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I want change a track file extensión .txt  to a  .gpx extensión and I dont know fill out  both “Format” in GPS Babel software.

Cound you help me?

Best regards and thank-you

Melchor Lizarraga

Re: Question

Robert Lipe-2
We've carried around this page http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html for over ten years because the Linux distros keep shipping broken hotplug configurations and have different recipes to "fix" them. Please contact your OS providers and ask them to FIX this in their packaging. It's cost me a ridiculous amount of grief.

Years ago, I was sending many people a week to that page. Now it's pretty quiet.  Doubtful those Fedora Core 14 instructions actually work on FC 24. Fewer Linux users or better search ranking to find that page? Dunno.

As an aside, you mention what I assume you meant to say was gebebbel. Does it actually do anything our GUI hasn't done for years at this point?

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 12:46 AM, Stephen Furner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes "Gsbabbel" should be "Gebabbel". This was used as the GUI for Gpsbabel since it came with the Ubuntu distribution I had installed on my PC.

I raised this problem via the vendor's (Canonical) Ubuntu Launchpad questions area, where it was tracked to solution and is available as question 293560.

Stephen