Quantcast

Problem with long file names in v1.5.3

Ekkart Leschke
Hello,

I have problems with:
$ gpsbabel -i gpx $all_infile -o gpx -F outfile.gpx

If I have files in $all_infile with path+filename longer than ~110
character it will not work, aborting with error "No such file or directory".
This happens in v1.5.2 and v1.5.3 but is fine in v1.4.2.

The filename length is an assumption from my side, because shorter
filenames are allways ok.

Can you confirm this and may be fix?

Ekkart

Re: Problem with long file names in v1.5.3

Robert Lipe-4
Unable to confirm.

$ ./gpsbabel -i gpx -f /tmp/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.gpx

succeeds for me.

Reproducible test case needed.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Ekkart Leschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have problems with:
$ gpsbabel -i gpx $all_infile -o gpx -F outfile.gpx

If I have files in $all_infile with path+filename longer than ~110
character it will not work, aborting with error "No such file or directory".
This happens in v1.5.2 and v1.5.3 but is fine in v1.4.2.

The filename length is an assumption from my side, because shorter
filenames are allways ok.

Can you confirm this and may be fix?

Ekkart

Re: Problem with long file names in v1.5.3

Ekkart Leschke
You are right it is not long filename related.
I have tested a litle around and may be found the real problem:

All not working filenames are with German Umlauts (äöü).
No such filename works with v1.5.3.
With 1.4.2 its fine.

$ gpsbabel_153 -i gpx -f
/tmp/2016-02-06-01_Swinemünde_Ahlbeck_Heringsdorf_Swinemünde_web.gpx -o
gpx -F outfile.gpx
Cannot open
'/tmp/2016-02-06-01_Swinemünde_Ahlbeck_Heringsdorf_Swinemünde_web.gpx'
for read.  Error was 'No such file or directory'.

$ gpsbabel_142 -i gpx -f

Am 11.07.2016 um 19:39 schrieb Robert Lipe:

> Unable to confirm.
>
> $ ./gpsbabel -i gpx -f
> /tmp/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.gpx
>
> succeeds for me.
>
> Reproducible test case needed.
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Ekkart Leschke <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I have problems with:
>     $ gpsbabel -i gpx $all_infile -o gpx -F outfile.gpx
>
>     If I have files in $all_infile with path+filename longer than ~110
>     character it will not work, aborting with error "No such file or
>     directory".
>     This happens in v1.5.2 and v1.5.3 but is fine in v1.4.2.
>
>     The filename length is an assumption from my side, because shorter
>     filenames are allways ok.
>
>     Can you confirm this and may be fix?
>
>     Ekkart

Re: Problem with long file names in v1.5.3

Robert Lipe-4
I just tried 1.5.3 and development trunk. Unable to repro.

/Volumes/GPSBabelFE/GPSBabelFE.app/Contents/MacOS
roberts-iMac7:MacOS robertlipe$ ./gpsbabel -i gpx -f /tmp/2016-02-06-01_Swinemünde_Ahlbeck_Heringsdorf_Swinemünde_web.gpx
roberts-iMac7:MacOS robertlipe$

There have been some changes in the way we treat filename encodings in recent times.

Step into the code in main.cc and see if QString;:fromLocal8Bit() that's being passed to rd_init() is perhaps seeing a different locale than the filesystem is encoding it.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Ekkart Leschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are right it is not long filename related.
I have tested a litle around and may be found the real problem:

All not working filenames are with German Umlauts (äöü).
No such filename works with v1.5.3.
With 1.4.2 its fine.

$ gpsbabel_153 -i gpx -f
/tmp/<a href="tel:2016-02-06-01" value="+12016020601">2016-02-06-01_Swinemünde_Ahlbeck_Heringsdorf_Swinemünde_web.gpx -o
gpx -F outfile.gpx
Cannot open
'/tmp/<a href="tel:2016-02-06-01" value="+12016020601">2016-02-06-01_Swinemünde_Ahlbeck_Heringsdorf_Swinemünde_web.gpx'
for read.  Error was 'No such file or directory'.

$ gpsbabel_142 -i gpx -f
/tmp/2016-02-06-01_Swinemünde_Ahlbeck_Heringsdorf_Swinemünde_web.gpx -o
gpx -F outfile.gpx

Am 11.07.2016 um 19:39 schrieb Robert Lipe:
> Unable to confirm.
>
> $ ./gpsbabel -i gpx -f
> /tmp/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.gpx
>
> succeeds for me.
>
> Reproducible test case needed.
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Ekkart Leschke <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I have problems with:
>     $ gpsbabel -i gpx $all_infile -o gpx -F outfile.gpx
>
>     If I have files in $all_infile with path+filename longer than ~110
>     character it will not work, aborting with error "No such file or
>     directory".
>     This happens in v1.5.2 and v1.5.3 but is fine in v1.4.2.
>
>     The filename length is an assumption from my side, because shorter
>     filenames are allways ok.
>
>     Can you confirm this and may be fix?
>
>     Ekkart

Re: Problem with long file names in v1.5.3

Göran Uddeborg
Ekkart Leschke:
> All not working filenames are with German Umlauts (äöü).

That's looks like one of the problems I thought I fixed in my minimal
patch
https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/commit/beb73ea86225bfeeddbb2ab2783ade1a8ba33225
And my locally built gpsbabel based on master from November last year
with that patch added handles non-ASCII filenames fine.

But I thought that code was included in 1.5.3.  Still, 1.5.3 as
packaged for Fedora 24 has the same problem.  Still, or maybe again.

Not sure if this is of any help.

Re: Problem with long file names in v1.5.3

tsteven4-2
This should have been fixed in

https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/commit/15f8b8b6ec5145a56d06d509b2e90076f75dd867

Feb 7, 2016.

On 7/11/2016 3:13 PM, Göran Uddeborg wrote:

> Ekkart Leschke:
>> All not working filenames are with German Umlauts (äöü).
> That's looks like one of the problems I thought I fixed in my minimal
> patch
> https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/commit/beb73ea86225bfeeddbb2ab2783ade1a8ba33225
> And my locally built gpsbabel based on master from November last year
> with that patch added handles non-ASCII filenames fine.
>
> But I thought that code was included in 1.5.3.  Still, 1.5.3 as
> packaged for Fedora 24 has the same problem.  Still, or maybe again.
>
> Not sure if this is of any help.

Re: Problem with long file names in v1.5.3

Ekkart Leschke
Thanks! It works as expected, the patch should be applied for the next
released version.

Problem can be closed.

Am 11.07.2016 um 23:56 schrieb tsteven4:

> This should have been fixed in
>
> https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/commit/15f8b8b6ec5145a56d06d509b2e90076f75dd867
>

> Feb 7, 2016.
>

> On 7/11/2016 3:13 PM, Göran Uddeborg wrote:
>> Ekkart Leschke:
>>> All not working filenames are with German Umlauts (äöü).
>> That's looks like one of the problems I thought I fixed in my minimal
>> patch
>> https://github.com/gpsbabel/gpsbabel/commit/beb73ea86225bfeeddbb2ab2783ade1a8ba33225
>>
>> And my locally built gpsbabel based on master from November last year
>> with that patch added handles non-ASCII filenames fine.
>>
>> But I thought that code was included in 1.5.3.  Still, 1.5.3 as
>> packaged for Fedora 24 has the same problem.  Still, or maybe again.
>>
>> Not sure if this is of any help.

Re: Problem with long file names in v1.5.3

tsteven4-2
Thanks for the verification.  It was previously committed to master, so
it will be part of the next release.