PCX5 to GPX problem for So. Hemisphere waypoints

PCX5 to GPX problem for So. Hemisphere waypoints

Chris Whiting
I used GPSBabel to convert PCX5 files to GPX on a
Windows platform using the latest software which I
just downloaded.  The source files are at this link:

http://www.waypoint.org/kaokoland/namibia_WB.zip

These waypoints and tracks are in Namibia in the
Southern Hemisphere.  When I load he resulting GPX
file into Google Earth, they show up in the Altantic
Ocean approximately 1000 miles north and 1000 mile
east of the correct locations.

I suspect that GPSBabel does not convert southern
hemishpere coordinates correctly.

The PCX5 source files load correctly into OziExplorer.

Chris

Re: PCX5 to GPX problem for So. Hemisphere waypoints

Robert Lipe
Chris Whiting wrote:

> http://www.waypoint.org/kaokoland/namibia_WB.zip
>
> These waypoints and tracks are in Namibia in the
> Southern Hemisphere.  When I load he resulting GPX
> file into Google Earth, they show up in the Altantic
> Ocean approximately 1000 miles north and 1000 mile
> east of the correct locations.
>
> I suspect that GPSBabel does not convert southern
> hemishpere coordinates correctly.

Aaaaah, I see the problem.  Your files have entries like:

W  10823N S17.4235714 E14.1550639 10-AUG-01 03:23:34 00000 Ilha Jupa (river mar
k)                   0.00000e+00       18

while every other PCX file we have on record looks like:

W  GCEBB  N3558.32200 W08708.08200 30-AUG-05 12:07:27 -9999 Mountain Bike Heaven by susy1313         0.000000e+00  8255

(Yes, the alt is wrong...)

Apparently, your file is using "real" decimal coordinates while we're
expecting the NMEA-ish convention of being DD MM MMMM with the decimal
in the middle of the minutes.  I finally chased this upstream to the
'U' entry in the header.  Apparently PCX allows either format and uses
the 'U LAT LON DEG" to mean the former and "U LAT LON DEG" to mean the
latter.

I've modified the PCX reader to handle this.   Thanx.