Microsoft Street and Trips to GEOJSON

Bansaj Pradhan
Hi,
I am in need of a conversion tool for converting the Microsoft S&T file to GEOJSON.
I tried some softwares and scripts without success.
Has anyone else worked on such project before?
If so, please guide me where can I start.

Thanks.

Re: Microsoft Street and Trips to GEOJSON

Greg-110
I’m a little surprised that GeoJSON isn’t supported since it’s so ubiquitous in the mapping world now, but then I don’t pretend to understand much of this. That said:

You might look at using GPSBabel to convert to csv (comma separated values) or something else basic/common (GPX, KML) and then converting that to GeoJSON using other mapping tools. In other words search for CSV, GPX or KML to GeoJSON.

Greg

> On Nov 14, 2016, at 3:07 AM, Bansaj Pradhan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am in need of a conversion tool for converting the Microsoft S&T file to GEOJSON.
> I tried some softwares and scripts without success.
> Has anyone else worked on such project before?
> If so, please guide me where can I start.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Microsoft Street and Trips to GEOJSON

Robert Lipe-4
Greg's correct. There is no GeoJSON support currently in the product.

Depending on which version of S&T, you may be in trouble. Before MS dropped the product, they changed the format a few times in incompatible ways so we can't read some of their later versions. We were always better at writing point data for them than reading vector data from it. I think the later versions do GPX so perhaps that's the common denominator.  Our msroute format was never super awesome for reading data stored there anyway. Please do share your experience.

Scanning the list, we've had like three requests for GeoJSON in the history of the project.  I even started writing a writer this summer in the hopes that someone interested in it would run with it or even provide feedback and it just fell silent, so I didn't take it any further.  If someone wants to help make GeoJSON support happen, let's volley on that work.  With QJsonDocument and QJsonArray, the C++ code tends to look much like Python or Javascript or other languages, so the programming part isn't even difficult, it's mostly just a matter of deciding which of our internal data structures map to GeoJSON elements.

RJL

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m a little surprised that GeoJSON isn’t supported since it’s so ubiquitous in the mapping world now, but then I don’t pretend to understand much of this. That said:

You might look at using GPSBabel to convert to csv (comma separated values) or something else basic/common (GPX, KML) and then converting that to GeoJSON using other mapping tools. In other words search for CSV, GPX or KML to GeoJSON.

Greg

> On Nov 14, 2016, at 3:07 AM, Bansaj Pradhan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am in need of a conversion tool for converting the Microsoft S&T file to GEOJSON.
> I tried some softwares and scripts without success.
> Has anyone else worked on such project before?
> If so, please guide me where can I start.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Microsoft Street and Trips to GEOJSON

Robert Lipe-4
GeoJSON requests have been few and far between for us, but I checked in  the aforementioned GeoJSON writer last night after requests for review and help fell flat. Please check it out soon since it's likely to debut in 1.5.4 soon (like, this weekend) unless we get some meaningful feedback. Source patches and comments welcome. S&T is actually the more troublesome side of that equation: MS abandonded the product a few years back and I think they'd changed their file formats in a few ways that broke our reader before - you should lean on their GPX export capabilities to liberate your date.