Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into single file

Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into single file

Eric Wagar
I've searched the archives as well I know how, but couldn't find anything near what I'm needing.

I have multiple GPX files that I need to merge into a single file.  They're created by the Garmin Virb Elite (Garmin camera with GPS receiver) while I'm flying.  I'd like to be able to upload them and view them as a learning experience in a debrief scenario.  The tool I use for debrief is Cloudahoy.  Cloudahoy can only import a single GPX file with a single track, which doesn't fit with a Virb flight/recording, since the Virb records in ~20 min segments.

I've tried a few different tools and they all "gather" (for lack of a better word) the multiple files/tracks into a single file.  Viewing the "merged" file in a viewer shows there are still multiple tracks.

How do I go about merging the multiple files/tracks into a single file with a single track?  I've tried pack and merge in the track filters, but neither works.  Pack indicates a time ordering error, which I can't locate, and merge looks to be performing the same "gathering" (or appending?).

If I've missed something in the documentation or elsewhere, just let me know which terms I need to search on.

Thanks
Eric

Re: Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into single file

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, Eric.

From what you've described, the Cloudahoy GPX reader  seems kind of broken.  Reading multiple GPX tracks and track segments is part of handling GPX.  Multiple segments and even files is quite common. I can't recall ever hearing of Cloudahoy so hopefully it's new and just not fully developed and not old and no longer maintained.

Keeping tracks sensibly ordered w.r.t. time is pretty important.  Lots of things flip out when time goes backward. How do you compute speed between two timestamped points when time sometimes flows backward, for example.

If you're trying to do line drawing by just merging sequenced points and ignoring timestamps (and willing to put up with some funky jumps between tracks where they're bound together) you might try manually editing away the timestamps from your source data if you can't reorder the input to preserve time sequence.  Of course, this deprives anything from being able to compute speed, but that may not matter for your application if you're, say, drawing a map.  It matters greatly if you're, say, reconstructing the acceleration curve of the space shuttle.

You could probably modify the GPX reader to make it ignore time, but it might be easier to just drop the time from your input data.

I don't think we really have a general purpose way to take an arbitrary stream of timestamped, sequenced input points of a track and reconnect them via closest proximity, ignoring times, and outputting them as a single track.  I can see how such a thing might be useful for someone like OpenStreetMap which might want to try to reconstruct a road network from a crowdsourced collection of tracks collected over time, but I'm not sure that's something we have today.  If you're interested in developing that, we should talk more.

RJL

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Eric Wagar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Isaac Wingfield
> From: Eric Wagar <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Gpsbabel-misc] Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into
> single file
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I've searched the archives as well I know how, but couldn't find anything
> near what I'm needing.
>
> I have multiple GPX files that I need to merge into a single file.  They're
> created by the Garmin Virb Elite (Garmin camera with GPS receiver) while
> I'm flying.  I'd like to be able to upload them and view them as a learning
> experience in a debrief scenario.  The tool I use for debrief is
> Cloudahoy.  Cloudahoy can only import a single GPX file with a single
> track, which doesn't fit with a Virb flight/recording, since the Virb
> records in ~20 min segments.
>
> I've tried a few different tools and they all "gather" (for lack of a
> better word) the multiple files/tracks into a single file.  Viewing the
> "merged" file in a viewer shows there are still multiple tracks.
>
> How do I go about merging the multiple files/tracks into a single file with
> a single track?  I've tried pack and merge in the track filters, but
> neither works.  Pack indicates a time ordering error, which I can't locate,
> and merge looks to be performing the same "gathering" (or appending?).

It's possible that GPSPrune can do what you want:

http://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/

I've been using it for a long time, to make a "collection" of my GPS tracks.

Isaac

Re: Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into single file

Eric Wagar
Thanks Isaac and Douglas.  I tried GPSPrune, but according to the Cloudahoy import tool, the tracks are still showing as individual tracks, which somehow breaks Cloudahoy during the import.

Robert, Thank you for your response.  I'm not really sure what to add to it other than I forwarded it to Cloudahoy.

Thanks
Eric

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Isaac Wingfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Eric Wagar <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Gpsbabel-misc] Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into
>       single file
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I've searched the archives as well I know how, but couldn't find anything
> near what I'm needing.
>
> I have multiple GPX files that I need to merge into a single file.  They're
> created by the Garmin Virb Elite (Garmin camera with GPS receiver) while
> I'm flying.  I'd like to be able to upload them and view them as a learning
> experience in a debrief scenario.  The tool I use for debrief is
> Cloudahoy.  Cloudahoy can only import a single GPX file with a single
> track, which doesn't fit with a Virb flight/recording, since the Virb
> records in ~20 min segments.
>
> I've tried a few different tools and they all "gather" (for lack of a
> better word) the multiple files/tracks into a single file.  Viewing the
> "merged" file in a viewer shows there are still multiple tracks.
>
> How do I go about merging the multiple files/tracks into a single file with
> a single track?  I've tried pack and merge in the track filters, but
> neither works.  Pack indicates a time ordering error, which I can't locate,
> and merge looks to be performing the same "gathering" (or appending?).

It's possible that GPSPrune can do what you want:

http://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/

I've been using it for a long time, to make a "collection" of my GPS tracks.

Isaac

Re: Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into single file

Don Huston
Hello Eric,

There are several softwares that I have that might create the track you want.
If you could, email me 3 or 4 of your Virb files and tell me in which order you want them to run. Then I will run them thru my different softwares and send you the results. If you find a resultant track that works for you then I can tell you which software it was and what I did to make the track. That will save you all the trouble of learning and experimenting with software that might not work anyway.

Don Huston

At 04:40 PM 10/13/2014 Monday, Eric Wagar wrote:
Thanks Isaac and Douglas.  I tried GPSPrune, but according to the Cloudahoy import tool, the tracks are still showing as individual tracks, which somehow breaks Cloudahoy during the import.

Robert, Thank you for your response.  I'm not really sure what to add to it other than I forwarded it to Cloudahoy.

Thanks
Eric

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Isaac Wingfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Eric Wagar <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Gpsbabel-misc] Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into
>       single file
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I've searched the archives as well I know how, but couldn't find anything
> near what I'm needing.
>
> I have multiple GPX files that I need to merge into a single file.  They're
> created by the Garmin Virb Elite (Garmin camera with GPS receiver) while
> I'm flying.  I'd like to be able to upload them and view them as a learning
> experience in a debrief scenario.  The tool I use for debrief is
> Cloudahoy.  Cloudahoy can only import a single GPX file with a single
> track, which doesn't fit with a Virb flight/recording, since the Virb
> records in ~20 min segments.
>
> I've tried a few different tools and they all "gather" (for lack of a
> better word) the multiple files/tracks into a single file.  Viewing the
> "merged" file in a viewer shows there are still multiple tracks.
>
> How do I go about merging the multiple files/tracks into a single file with
> a single track?  I've tried pack and merge in the track filters, but
> neither works.  Pack indicates a time ordering error, which I can't locate,
> and merge looks to be performing the same "gathering" (or appending?).

It's possible that GPSPrune can do what you want:

http://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/

I've been using it for a long time, to make a "collection" of my GPS tracks.

Isaac

Re: Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into single file

Eric,

A sample file would be helpful to investigate the failure of the track filter pack and merge options.

Steve
On 10/13/2014 5:40 PM, Eric Wagar wrote:
Thanks Isaac and Douglas.  I tried GPSPrune, but according to the Cloudahoy import tool, the tracks are still showing as individual tracks, which somehow breaks Cloudahoy during the import.

Robert, Thank you for your response.  I'm not really sure what to add to it other than I forwarded it to Cloudahoy.

Thanks
Eric

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Isaac Wingfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Eric Wagar <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Gpsbabel-misc] Merged GPX only "gathers" GPX files into
>       single file
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I've searched the archives as well I know how, but couldn't find anything
> near what I'm needing.
>
> I have multiple GPX files that I need to merge into a single file.  They're
> created by the Garmin Virb Elite (Garmin camera with GPS receiver) while
> I'm flying.  I'd like to be able to upload them and view them as a learning
> experience in a debrief scenario.  The tool I use for debrief is
> Cloudahoy.  Cloudahoy can only import a single GPX file with a single
> track, which doesn't fit with a Virb flight/recording, since the Virb
> records in ~20 min segments.
>
> I've tried a few different tools and they all "gather" (for lack of a
> better word) the multiple files/tracks into a single file.  Viewing the
> "merged" file in a viewer shows there are still multiple tracks.
>
> How do I go about merging the multiple files/tracks into a single file with
> a single track?  I've tried pack and merge in the track filters, but
> neither works.  Pack indicates a time ordering error, which I can't locate,
> and merge looks to be performing the same "gathering" (or appending?).

It's possible that GPSPrune can do what you want:

http://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/

I've been using it for a long time, to make a "collection" of my GPS tracks.

Isaac

Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/Zoho