Maverick Upgrade to 1.5.1 Problems

Tony Furniss
I had not used GPSBabel for a few months and today I was prompted to Upgrade to 1.5.1

Which I did!

I wanted to convert a GPX route (Faulds) to a Magellan SD file (as for Meridian).

Translation was supposabley successful,

gpsbabel -r i gpx - f /User/tonyfurniss/Desktop/Faulds.gpx o magellan -F Faulds

Translation successful

but on clicking OK nothing happened. Usually the translated file appears on my desktop.

On trying again the translation failed.

gpsbabel -r -i gpx -f /Users/tonyfurniss/Desktop/Faulds.gpx -o magellan -F Faulds
MAGPROTO cannot open 'Faulds' for write.  Error was 'Permission denied'.

Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1

I reinstalled version 1.5.0, but this no longer works.

The translation just fails, with files that I have converted before.

gpsbabel -r -i gpx -f /Users/tonyfurniss/Desktop/EDEN VALLEY.gpx -o magellan -F Eden Velley
MAGPROTO cannot open 'Eden Velley' for write. Error was 'Permission denied'.

Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1

I tried downloading again, but the translation just fails.

gpsbabel -r -i gpx -f /Users/tonyfurniss/Desktop/EDEN VALLEY.gpx -o magellan -F Eden Velley
MAGPROTO cannot open 'Eden Velley' for write. Error was 'Permission denied'.

Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1

It seems that the first supposabley successful translation, and then nothing happening, has messed something up, somehow.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tony

Re: Maverick Upgrade to 1.5.1 Problems

tsteven4-2
As a guess can you supply a full path name to the output file and tell us if that works?

On 7/2/2014 3:02 PM, Tony Furniss wrote:
[...]

http://p.sf.net/sfu/Bonitasoft

Re: Maverick Upgrade to 1.5.1 Problems

TSteven4 is probably on the right trail.

My guess is you removed the old version, losing your setup preferences which would have included your output directory.  It's now trying to write in GPSBabel's app folder, perhaps even in the installed DMG (yes, that's goofy and we should do better) instead of your ~/Desktop - choosing your destination explicitly is likely to bring you more joy.

I'm also guessing that you paraphrased what's actually happening because I don't think we'd ever actually generate the lines you cited...