Macintosh programs now supporting gpx

Greg-8
HikeTech released new versions (v 2) of their GPS programs and they now use gpx natively. The programs upload and download from GPS, allow editing of the individual data, provide summaries, and put the routes and waypoints on maps provided by the user. Good to see GPS programs on the Mac.

http://www.hiketech.com/

I have no interest in the company, but have purchased and used their programs. My support is so they can continue to improve the programs.
====
Yesterday was new releases for GPS softwares. I wrote the above earlier and then GPSMac v.0.2 was released. Looks interesting, but haven't used it so won't say anything.

http://homepage.mac.com/
persamuelsson/GPSMac/

Re: Macintosh programs now supporting gpx

Jon Evans-4
Hi Greg,

On 8 Jul 2005, at 18:49, Greg wrote:

> HikeTech released new versions (v 2) of their GPS programs and they
> now use gpx natively. The programs upload and download from GPS,
> allow editing of the individual data, provide summaries, and put
> the routes and waypoints on maps provided by the user. Good to see
> GPS programs on the Mac.
>
> http://www.hiketech.com/
>
> I have no interest in the company, but have purchased and used
> their programs. My support is so they can continue to improve the
> programs.

Thanks for the info.

Robert: this is an interesting datapoint.  I've downloaded the demo
of Link2GPS and it works flawlessly with my Prolific PL2303 USB/
Serial adaptor, my Garmin Geko 201, and my PowerBook (OS X 10.4.1).

I might just fire up Xcode again as it's clearly possible to get it
to work somehow.  I gave up last time as I thought the hardware was
just b0rked.  I wonder what HikeTech are doing to get it to work?

Jon

Re: Macintosh programs now supporting gpx

> of Link2GPS and it works flawlessly with my Prolific PL2303 USB/
> Serial adaptor, my Garmin Geko 201, and my PowerBook (OS X 10.4.1).
>
> I might just fire up Xcode again as it's clearly possible to get it
> to work somehow.  I gave up last time as I thought the hardware was

{shrug}  I had to return the Powerbook I had on loan, so I can't chase it.
Once I saw the PL2303 losing data on multiple OSes with even trivial code
exercising it and without a GPS involved, I pretty much wrote it off.  I
wasn't able to get it to work with other programs on Linux, either and
snooping the bus, they were getting the same failure.

Patches are always welcome. ;-)

Re: Macintosh programs now supporting gpx

stantstk@pacbell.net
Considering HikeTech's software ONLY runs using a USB-to-serial adapter, I'll just say "Thanks, but no thanks!"

Now that Garmin's newest firmware for the 60CS "finally" allows it to run under OS X using MacGPSBabel, I'll stick to that. Combine that with GSAK for geocaching, and I'm a happy camper using ONLY USB. It's NAR for me, now (No Adapter Required) -- and USB is F-A-S-T.

Stan Glaser

Greg wrote:
HikeTech released new versions (v 2) of their GPS programs and they now use gpx natively. The programs upload and download from GPS, allow editing of the individual data, provide summaries, and put the routes and waypoints on maps provided by the user. Good to see GPS programs on the Mac.

http://www.hiketech.com/

I have no interest in the company, but have purchased and used their programs. My support is so they can continue to improve the programs.
====
Yesterday was new releases for GPS softwares. I wrote the above earlier and then GPSMac v.0.2 was released. Looks interesting, but haven't used it so won't say anything.

http://homepage.mac.com/
persamuelsson/GPSMac/

Re: Macintosh programs now supporting gpx

Adam Schneider
On 07/08/05, Jon Evans wrote:

>Robert: this is an interesting datapoint.  I've downloaded the demo  of Link2GPS and it works flawlessly with my Prolific PL2303 USB/ Serial adaptor, my Garmin Geko 201, and my PowerBook (OS X 10.4.1).

Well, for what it's worth, I just downloaded the Link2GPS demo, and I can't get it to work with the IOGear GUC232A adapter (Prolific driver v1.0.9).  The ONLY program I can get to work with the GUC232A is Chimoosoft's "GPS Connect."

Adam