MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

Adam Schneider
I just got a Garmin eTrex Legend and an IOGear GUS232A USB-serial adapter.  I'm trying to connect my PowerBook G4 to the Legend using MacGPSBabel, and nothing is happening.

I open MacGPSBabel, tell it to get input from the receiver and output to GPX, and click "Download."  It asks me for the port and I select "usbserial" from the menu.  It asks me for a file name, and then when I click OK: nothing.  After a few seconds it says, "Sorry, download from garmin GPS receiver failed."

Unfortunately, I've no idea where to start troubleshooting.  I think the drivers for the adapter are okay; I couldn't have screwed that up.  But the problem could be in the IOGear cable, in the Garmin cable, or in the Garmin device itself.  I don't have a Windows PC or another serial device to test it with.  I suspect it MIGHT be the IOGear adapter that's problematic, because the activity LED on the cable never lights up at all.

I also was unable to connect using "GPS Connect" from Chimoosoft.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam Schneider
Portland, OR

Re: MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

Robert Lipe
Adam Schneider wrote:

> I just got a Garmin eTrex Legend and an IOGear GUS232A USB-serial
> adapter.  I'm trying to connect my PowerBook G4 to the Legend using
> MacGPSBabel, and nothing is happening.

Would that be this adapter?
   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10304462
   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10460644

I can't recall anyone reporting anything but failure with the IOGear on
either Linux or OSX.

> But the problem could be in the IOGear cable, in the Garmin cable, or
> in the Garmin device itself.  I don't have a Windows PC or another

My money's on the IOGear.

--
Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Re: MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

Adam Schneider-2
On 06/23/05, Robert Lipe wrote:

>Adam Schneider wrote:
>
>> I just got a Garmin eTrex Legend and an IOGear GUS232A USB-serial
>> adapter.  I'm trying to connect my PowerBook G4 to the Legend using
>> MacGPSBabel, and nothing is happening.
>
>Would that be this adapter?
>   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10304462
>   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10460644
>
>I can't recall anyone reporting anything but failure with the IOGear on
>either Linux or OSX.

Yes, that's the one.  Before I bought it, though, I did several searches on-line and found testimonials from people who said they were able to connect their Macs to Garmins using it.  Now that I redo the search, though, it looks like maybe these people were having success connecting from inside Virtual PC!

Which adapter have people had success with?  The Keyspan one is awfully expensive, which is why I didn't buy it in the first place.

Adam

Re: MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

alan-7
I would suggest the Keyspan on the Mac. I've heard nothing but good about it.
One of the guys around here uses it with the Mac and GPSBabel. Run, run, run
away from the IOGear.... I did. :)

Robert,

Maybe there should be a incompatible hardware list in the doc. This one would be
at the top of the list. :)

Alan

Quoting Adam Schneider <[hidden email]>:

> On 06/23/05, Robert Lipe wrote:
> >
> >Adam Schneider wrote:
> >
> >> I just got a Garmin eTrex Legend and an IOGear GUS232A USB-serial
> >> adapter.  I'm trying to connect my PowerBook G4 to the Legend using
> >> MacGPSBabel, and nothing is happening.
> >
> >Would that be this adapter?
> >   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10304462
> >   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10460644
> >
> >I can't recall anyone reporting anything but failure with the IOGear on
> >either Linux or OSX.
>
> Yes, that's the one.  Before I bought it, though, I did several searches
> on-line and found testimonials from people who said they were able to connect
> their Macs to Garmins using it.  Now that I redo the search, though, it looks
> like maybe these people were having success connecting from inside Virtual
> PC!
>
> Which adapter have people had success with?  The Keyspan one is awfully
> expensive, which is why I didn't buy it in the first place.
>

> Adam

Re: MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

Greg-8
Adam

Same set up here except I'm using a Keyspan USA-19HS. I see a USAHS…
option in "Port." My LED light is on whenever connected (and maybe at
other times) and flashes when downloading.

That said, it doesn't always work. I get occasional errors and
various combinations of quitting and relaunching MacGPSBabel and
turning the GPS off and on usually work. Eventually I'm able to
download. Having the GPS on or off when launching MacGPSBabel
sometimes helps. I've never figured out why it works sometimes and
not others.

I doubt it matters, but try the other USB port. Apple probably treats
them the same, but VirtualPC doesn't, so who knows

Greg

On 06/23/05, Jeremy Atherton wrote:

>On 23 Jun 2005, at 11:48, Adam Schneider wrote:
>
>>I just got a Garmin eTrex Legend and an IOGear GUS232A USB-serial adapter.  I'm trying to connect my PowerBook G4 to the Legend using MacGPSBabel, and nothing is happening.
>
>It looks like you have pretty much the same setup as me... What version of OS X are you using?

OS X 10.3.9.  You have the IOGear adapter?

Adam

Re: MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

Adam Schneider
By the way, so that search engines pick up this thread properly, I should mention that this is the IOGear GUC232A adapter, not "GUS232A."  Oops.

Adam

Re: MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

> >I can't recall anyone reporting anything but failure with the IOGear
> >on either Linux or OSX.
>
> Yes, that's the one.

Bummer.

> Which adapter have people had success with?  The Keyspan one is
> awfully expensive, which is why I didn't buy it in the first place.

Don't mistake me for an experienced Mac guy, but when I had one on loan
partially to chase this very problem - I remember plugging in one of the
MCT based units (the Iogear is a rebadged Prolific 2303) and finding joy
on OSX 10.3.something.  The exact one I used was the pre-purple unit
from http://pfranc.com/usb/usb.mhtml . Do brace yourself for some hype
from that page.

Keyspan is popular with the Mac crowd.

If an actual Mac user steps in with conflicting advice, take theirs over
mine. :-)

--
Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Re: MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

Jeremy Atherton
Yes, I have the GUC232A, the Legend and the PowerBook G4. IIRC when I
got the IOGear I had to go and get a driver from their website in order
to get things working (a quick search reveals a driver at
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=dm&driver&Item=GUC232A).

Like Greg, I sometimes find that things don't always work first time:
cycling the power on my Legend or just simply trying again usually
works.

That said I haven't actually tried to do a download from my GPS since I
upgraded to 10.3.9. I have my GPS and bike with me at work today, so
I'll record a track and try a download when I get home.

Jeremy

[hidden email] wrote:

> Maybe there should be a incompatible hardware list in the doc. This
> one would be at the top of the list. :)

I don't really know how (or where!) to explain this sensibly.  Would you
have found it if this were in the FAQ:

        Why doesn't my serial GPS work with my USB adapter on OSX or
        Linux?

        USB serial/parallel adapters with circuitry built by Prolific
        are known to be problematic as they lose data on OSX and Linux.
        These products are rebadged by a number of vendors including
        the Iogear GUC232.  Testing has shown that even without being
        attached to a GPS, they lose data.  This renders programs like
        GPSBabel and others inoperative as they require a non-lossy
        communication channel to the device.

I wonder if Windows users of this device have the same problem.

I'd hoped that this would be fixed in the drivers or firmware by now.

On 06/23/05, Robert Lipe wrote:

>I recognize your name from somewhere.

I'm the author of GPS Visualizer.  We've exchanged messages regarding file formats.

>  If you're willing to help debug
>it it remotely, perhaps we can get through it.  (I don't have a Mac.)
>
>Turn on debugging and try to read the device:
>
>gpsbabel -D9 -i garmin -f /dev/whateveryourthingyis
>
>Show us that output.

It seems to just be horribly unreliable.  Sometimes it actually connects, but fails at some point, and sometimes it gets nowhere.  So are you all saying that the spendy Keyspan adapter would be overall less flaky?

Sometimes I just get this:

        % gpsbabel -D9 -i garmin -f /dev/cu.usbserial

Tx Data:10 fe 00 02 10 03
GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE
GARMIN:Can't init /dev/cu.usbserial
Rx Data:06

And sometimes I get this:

        % gpsbabel -D9 -i garmin -f /dev/cu.usbserial

Tx Data:10 fe 00 02 10 03
Rx Data:10 06 02 fe 00 fa 10 03
Rx Data:10 ff 66 9b 01 72 01 65 54 72 65 78 20 4c 65 67 65 6e 64 20 53 6f 66 74 77 61 72 65 20 56 65 72 73 69 6f 6e 20 33 2e 37 30 00 56 45 52 42 4d 41 50 20 41 6d 65 72 69 63 61 73 20 48 69 67 68 77 61 79 20 32 2e 30 30 00 56 45 52 53 4d 41 50 20 41 6d 65 72 69 63 61 73 20 4d 61 72 69 6e 65 20 50 4f 49 20 31 2e 30 30 00 d3 10 03
Tx Data:10 06 02 ff 00 f9 10 03 eTrex Legend Software Version 3.70
ID:             411

Version:        3.70

Rx Data:10 fd 4b 50 00 00 4c 01 00 41 0a 00 41 64 00 44 6c 00 41 c9 00 44 ca 00 44 6c 00 44 d2 00 41 2d 01 44 36 01 44 2d 01 41 f4 01 44 f5 01 41 58 02 44 58 02 41 bc 02 44 bc 02 41 20 03 44 20 03 41 22 03 44 22 03 41 84 03 41 86 03 41 87 03 a0 10 03
Tx Data:10 06 02 fd 00 fb 10 03 Capability 'P'.  Type 0
Capability 'L'.  Type 1
Capability 'A'.  Type 10
Capability 'A'.  Type 100
Capability 'D'.  Type 108
Capability 'A'.  Type 201
Capability 'D'.  Type 202
Capability 'D'.  Type 108
Capability 'D'.  Type 210
Capability 'A'.  Type 301
Capability 'D'.  Type 310
Capability 'D'.  Type 301
Capability 'A'.  Type 500
Capability 'D'.  Type 501
Capability 'A'.  Type 600
Capability 'D'.  Type 600
Capability 'A'.  Type 700
Capability 'D'.  Type 700
Capability 'A'.  Type 800
Capability 'D'.  Type 800
Capability 'A'.  Type 802
[ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [A/802]

Capability 'D'.  Type 802
[ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [D/802]

Capability 'A'.  Type 900
Capability 'A'.  Type 902
Capability 'A'.  Type 903

Tx Data:10 0a 02 32 00 c2 10 03
Rx Data:10 06 02 0a 00 ee 10 03
Tx Data:10 0a 02 05 00 ef 10 03
GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE
GARMIN:Can't init /dev/cu.usbserial
Rx Data:15

Re: MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

Robert Lipe
> >I recognize your name from somewhere.
>
> I'm the author of GPS Visualizer.  We've exchanged messages regarding
> file formats.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

> So are you all saying that the spendy Keyspan adapter would be overall
> less flaky?

I'll leave it to the people that own this stuff to actually say that.

> Sometimes I just get this:
>
> % gpsbabel -D9 -i garmin -f /dev/cu.usbserial
>
> Tx Data:10 fe 00 02 10 03
> GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE
> GARMIN:Can't init /dev/cu.usbserial
> Rx Data:06

That's very consistent with what I was seeing with my 'paperclip'
example - the first byte of data read is just plain missing.  The '6' is
an ack, but there should be a data link escape (DLE) before that.  So we
obviously transmitted OK since the unit sent a response, but the read
didn't make it to us.

> Capability 'D'.  Type 800
> Capability 'A'.  Type 802
> [ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [A/802]
>
> Capability 'D'.  Type 802
> [ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [D/802]

I thought I squished that warning about a year ago.  Are you sure you're
on the current code? 'gpsbabel -h | head -1' will tell you...

> Tx Data:10 0a 02 05 00 ef 10 03
> GPS_Packet_Read: No DLE
> GARMIN:Can't init /dev/cu.usbserial
> Rx Data:15

This is interesting.  It lost the DLE but we see a 15 which happens to
be a NAK.  So the receiver thinks something is wrong such as a blown
protocol state or it received a bad packet.

I don't suppose you happen to have a serial analyzer within reach, do
you?

On 06/23/05, Robert Lipe wrote:

> > Capability 'D'.  Type 800
>> Capability 'A'.  Type 802
>> [ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [A/802]
>>
>> Capability 'D'.  Type 802
>> [ERROR] PROTOCOL ERROR: Unknown tag/data [D/802]
>
>I thought I squished that warning about a year ago.  Are you sure you're
>on the current code? 'gpsbabel -h | head -1' will tell you...

Oops.  I have two versions on my PowerBook, one I installed months ago and one I got recently with MacGPSBabel.  Those "unknown" error messages are gone in the newer version, but I still get essentially the same overall failure.

>I don't suppose you happen to have a serial analyzer within reach, do you?

Probably not, since I don't know what that means. :)

Adam

Re: MacGPSBabel: can't connect to Legend using IOGear adapter

> >I thought I squished that warning about a year ago.  Are you sure you're
> >on the current code? 'gpsbabel -h | head -1' will tell you...
>
> Oops.  I have two versions on my PowerBook, one I installed months ago and
one I got recently with MacGPSBabel.  Those "unknown" error messages are gone
in the newer version, but I still get essentially the same overall failure.

OK, good.   That's at least consistent with what I'd expect for that case.

> >I don't suppose you happen to have a serial analyzer within reach, do you?
>
> Probably not, since I don't know what that means. :)

If you had one, you'd know it. :-)   So that's not a good angle to pursue.

I can't explain why your other program now works.  That's a little
disturbing.

I'll let you and Jeremy compare notes on driver versions, hardware versions,
and such but I suspect if you place any value on your time that replacing the
unit will be the best resolution.

MacGPSBabel: Keyspan is the solution. Also, clickable Unix commands?

Adam Schneider
Well, I gave up and went and got a Keyspan adapter.  Downloaded the latest driver from keyspan.com, hooked it up, and presto, it worked; I didn't even have to reboot.  (At first I was afraid it failed to transfer a lot of my points, but it turns out that Garmin's "Auto" interval is just very stingy with the digital bread crumbs.)

The bad news is, it looks like IOGear won't let me send this crappy adapter back because it's technically not "defective."

Now, a question for the Mac experts out there: what's the best way to set up a Unix command (gpsbabel in this case, obviously) by simply clicking on it from the Finder?  I'd like to be able to dump my data into a couple of GPX files without having to go through all the menus in MacGPSBabel.

Adam

Re: MacGPSBabel: Keyspan is the solution. Also, clickable Unix commands?

Robert Lipe
Adam Schneider wrote:

> Well, I gave up and went and got a Keyspan adapter.  Downloaded the
> latest driver from keyspan.com, hooked it up, and presto, it worked;

Yay.

> I didn't even have to reboot.  (At first I was afraid it failed to
> transfer a lot of my points, but it turns out that Garmin's "Auto"
> interval is just very stingy with the digital bread crumbs.)

You can be reasonably sure it transferred all that were there.  The code
read a count of trackpoints and then reads that many from the unit.  If
any are lost, a Bad Thing happens.  (While I don't think I've ever seen
this in any non-contrived case in the serial driver, I can trigger it on
Windows with the USB models...)

> The bad news is, it looks like IOGear won't let me send this crappy
> adapter back because it's technically not "defective."

I'd argue that losing data _is_ defective, but I also know that argument
won't get you far with the 18 year old "Geek Squad" wannabe behind the
counter.

> Now, a question for the Mac experts out there: what's the best way to
> set up a Unix command (gpsbabel in this case, obviously) by simply
> clicking on it from the Finder?  I'd like to be able to dump my data
> into a couple of GPX files without having to go through all the menus
> in MacGPSBabel.

Ironic.  Give folks a command line and they want a GUI.  Give them a GUI
and they want a command line. :-)

If someone does write up a really groovy answer for this, I'd be
delighted to put it in our collection of OS tips at:

        http://www.gpsbabel.org/osnotes.html

So in the end, what did we really learn about the Iogear/Prolific units?
All I really can conclude is that sometimes they work and sometimes they
don't.

On 23 Jun 2005, at 18:19, Adam Schneider wrote:
> Now, a question for the Mac experts out there: what's the best way to
> set up a Unix command (gpsbabel in this case, obviously) by simply
> clicking on it from the Finder?

DropScript is a free application that looks like it might do what you
are looking for.

It is available at: http://www.wsanchez.net/software/

There is an explanation of how to use it at:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030603021007833

Jeremy