Mac: Converting GPX to .ov2

Mark Booth-3
Hi GPS and Geocache enthusiasts!

The revision history for GPSBabel shows that Ron Parker added TomTom .ov2
(POI) file support on 4/28/05.  However, I do not see the .ov2 file type
listed as one of the input or output options in the graphical front end for
MacGPSBabel.  It's the most recent version (1.2.5), just like the PC
version.

Am I missing something?  Is the .ov2 file type called something else
besides .ov2?  I don't see "TomTom" listed either.

I'd REALLY like to find a way to convert GPX or .loc files to .ov2 to use
on my Palm with TomTom Navigator 5.  Any help anyone can provide would be
GREATLY appreciated!

Regards,

Mark

Re: Mac: Converting GPX to .ov2

Robert Lipe
Mark Booth wrote:
> Hi GPS and Geocache enthusiasts!

Welcome, Mark.

> The revision history for GPSBabel shows that Ron Parker added TomTom .ov2
> (POI) file support on 4/28/05.  However, I do not see the .ov2 file type
> listed as one of the input or output options in the graphical front end for
> MacGPSBabel.  It's the most recent version (1.2.5), just like the PC

The revision history at http://www.gpsbabel.org/changes.html shows it
was indeed added on that date.  It also shows that 1.2.5 was released on
3/23/05, so you'll need a version after that.

This is where you get lucky and unlucky.  JeremyA and I didn't make
a MacGPSBabel build when we did the beta on 6/08.  So you can't just
download it.  However, you can compile it from source and sneak the
freshly built GPSBabel behind the GUI and it should Just Work.

If the thought of compiling from source just blows your mind, I could
be bribed to put up a Mac build of the binary, but I don't think I can
package the GUI stuff becuase the system I can access remotely doesn't
have all the Applescript Project Builder and such.

[ Note to self: when enough OSX users click on the 'donate' button, buy
a Mini and take better control of this... ]

Re: Mac: Converting GPX to .ov2

Mark Booth-3
Robert,

Thank you for the reply!   Drat!  Sorry that I didn't notice the build
dates before posting my E-mail.

I wouldn't know the first thing about where to begin compiling it myself.
And I'd be almost as lost trying to run it from a command line.  So, I
guess I'll just have to wait until a more recent version is compiled with
the GUI and made available as a download.  Given that the last (non beta )
version is almost 4 months old, hopefully, it won't be too much longer.

BTW, I am planning to use it to convert Geocache GPX and .loc files for use
with TomTom Navigator 5 on my Palm Zire 72.  I've already got the Palm set
up with CacheMate  so I'm all set for paperless Geocaching and a GPS
(CacheNav) to hunt down the Caches once I'm in a particular Cache's area.
The problem is getting to or knowing when I'm passing by a Cache when
navigating the roads with Navigator 5.   So, I've got my fingers crossed
that it won't be too much longer for a GPSBabel update because I'm dead in
the water until then.

Thanks again!

Mark