Lowrance SL2 (again)

Joel Kozikowski
Has there been any other talk of adding Lowrance SL2 files to the conversion process?  I saw something in the archives about this question being asked, but I don’t believe I saw anyone stepping up to do any work on it.

The SL2 file format is a “Sonar Log” file that is used by Lowrance for recording sonar tracks.  There has been some work already on dissecting this proprietary format by the OpenStreetMap folks.  See here:

I have one of these units, and I have a need to convert my sonar logs to a track file in GPX format.   I am also a software developer, so I may even be able to pitch in and help.  I just found this GPSBabel project however, so I might need a little direction…

-Joel

Re: Lowrance SL2 (again)

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, Joel.  Welcome.

Looking through the archives, I see like two people asking about it, but nobody having made the investment to make it happen.

Looking at that description, there's a lot of data that won't have a place in GPSBabel, but if you're just pulling lat/longs, it's probably not too scary to read.  It's probably not something we could write very well as there's just too much data that's alien to us. We're glad to offer direction.

https://code.google.com/p/gpsbabel/source/browse/trunk/gpsbabel/format_skeleton.cc (it's the source tree in SVN) describes that basic steps for adding a format.  There are, of course, plenty of examples in that same directory.  lowranceusr*.cc have code that you may be able to mooch. (make them non-statics if you want to share them)

Good luck.
RJL

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Joel Kozikowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has there been any other talk of adding Lowrance SL2 files to the conversion process?  I saw something in the archives about this question being asked, but I don’t believe I saw anyone stepping up to do any work on it.

The SL2 file format is a “Sonar Log” file that is used by Lowrance for recording sonar tracks.  There has been some work already on dissecting this proprietary format by the OpenStreetMap folks.  See here:

I have one of these units, and I have a need to convert my sonar logs to a track file in GPX format.   I am also a software developer, so I may even be able to pitch in and help.  I just found this GPSBabel project however, so I might need a little direction…

-Joel

Re: Lowrance SL2 (again)

Joel Kozikowski
What I really interested in is reading Time, Lat/Lon and DEPTH.  From what I’m told, Lawrence does not record Depth with its tracks - only Time and Lat/Lon.  To get all four, one needs to use the Sonar Logs feature (which is the SL2 file).

This has created a bit of a firestorm, as crowdsourcing Bathymetric data is starting to really catch on, and it appears that many of the Chartplotter manufacturers are trying to keep the data for themselves.

The thought is that allowing one to convert the proprietary formats into an open format (like GPX) would really free up users of these different devices to contribute to the “best of breed” crowdsourced marine charts that are starting to appear.

Thanks for the code direction - I’ll try to check out some source and see what I can come up with.

-Joel

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Joel Kozikowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
What I really interested in is reading Time, Lat/Lon and DEPTH.

We're a little conflicted on our use of depth.  Boaters like to know how far below them the curst of the earth is, but pilots use it for things like "no fly" zones.  There are two GPX extensions that produce depth, Garmin and Humminbird, so there may be some strategic fibbing to get depth into GPX.

This has created a bit of a firestorm, as crowdsourcing Bathymetric data is starting to really catch on, and it appears that many of the Chartplotter manufacturers are trying to keep the data for themselves.

More power to you!

The thought is that allowing one to convert the proprietary formats into an open format (like GPX) would really free up users of these

Be careful; that gets into copyright issues pretty fast.

Thanks for the code direction - I’ll try to check out some source and see what I can come up with.

You should also breeze through http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/Source.html

It's also worth a disclaimer that we tend to be Linux/Mac-heavy in this group.  Makefile.in always works, but if you're an MSVC user, be prepared for some files to be reverenced in, say, vecs,cc but not included in the MSVC build files.

[...]

As both a boat captain and I pilot, I hear where you are coming from.  Also - I’ve been thru this issue before with some other software.  In general, its my understanding that most courts believe that the DATA belongs to the user.  As long as no proprietary software or trade secrets are used to reverse engineer the file format, its ours to take.

Thanks again!

-Joel (typing from a Mac Book Pro!)

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 7:10 PM, Joel Kozikowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
As both a boat captain and I pilot, I hear where you are coming from.  Also - I’ve been thru this issue before with some other software.

Lovely.  We welcome your expertise.  (And your toy budget. :-)

 In general, its my understanding that most courts believe that the DATA belongs to the user.

Yes, if it's data you've collected/measured, my reading is that it's a fact and you can't copyright facts.   Converting a sounding chart from data that you licensed with a receiver or from a third party is rather more problematic.

As long as no proprietary software or trade secrets are used to reverse engineer the file format, its ours to take.

If it's your data, my read of the DMCA says that reverse engineering in the name of interoperability is OK.   I've received cease and desists for GPSBabel and am MUCH happier to spend my time/budget coding than litigating.

Thanks again!

-Joel (typing from a Mac Book Pro!)

UNIX user/developer here for almost three decades.  The last eight have been on OS/X, so building GPSBabel from source (almost) always works there.  It's a road well travelled.

RJL