KML to GPX conversion

Balcab
Hi folks

I just tried to convert a Google myMap .KML fite into a .GPX. Wunderfull,
the converter seems to work, but when I importet the .GPX into GSAK the
datas are hardly mixed in columns: The name of the Waypoint is now a Code,
the user defined note of the waypoint is now the name of the Waypoint. Is
there a possibility to tell either GPSBabel or GSAK which data belongs to
which column? I just need something like

KML.Name ==> GPX.Description
KML.Notes ==> GPX.Notes

Matthias

Re: KML to GPX conversion

Robert Lipe-4
There isn't a knob that's easy to turn to do it.  The reality is that GPX, KML, and GPSBabel all have a couple of concepts of "text associated with a thing" and what works well for some combinations of GPSes and source files works less well for others.

Since GPSBabel is open source, you could change our KML reader or the GPX writer to reorder the fields for your specific case.

Honestly, both of these are "just" XML files.  While there may technically be some a strictly-mandated ordering, Earth, GPSBabel, and probably GSAK are unlikely to care which order these fields appear.  Pulling them into your favorite text editor and doing a global search and replace (be clever: get the opening and closing tags only, so match with the angle brackets) is probably the easiest fix for low quantities of such conversions.  awk, perl, sed, xslttransform are option if you're doing thousands of such conversions.

RJL