Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

12

Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
I wish to have a command line only version of gpsbabel on an Intel Edison.  It is headless so having a GUI is impossible.  My problem is that when I try and install, I get errors.

copied gpsbabel-1.5.4.tar.gz to the edison root directory

tar xvf gpsbabel-1.5.4.tar.gz

cd gpsbabel-1.5.4/

./configure && make && make install

It doesn't work.  I get errors

checking for qmake-qt5... no

checking for qmake... no

checking for lupdate-qt5... no

checking for lupdate... no

checking for lrelease-qt5... no

checking for lrelease... no

configure: error: Qt5.2 or higher is required, but was not found

Looking up Qt5 I find it is all about a graphical user interface, which I definitely do not want to install.  What I want is a command line only version of babel with no GUI and no requirement to install one.

My goal is to take a nmea file with lines like this:

$GPRMC,145714.000,A,3726.1435,N,12208.9467,W,0.16,26.61,160717,,,A*4A
$GPRMC,145715.000,A,3726.1434,N,12208.9467,W,0.15,297.94,160717,,,A*7B
$GPRMC,145716.000,A,3726.1433,N,12208.9467,W,0.10,180.69,160717,,,A*7D
$GPRMC,145717.000,A,3726.1431,N,12208.9467,W,0.36,161.58,160717,,,A*77
$GPRMC,145718.000,A,3726.1430,N,12208.9467,W,0.23,151.95,160717,,,A*7F
$GPRMC,145719.000,A,3726.1429,N,12208.9467,W,0.03,109.91,160717,,,A*7D

And create a gpx file using this command

gpsbabel -t -i nmea -f "gps.nmea" -x nuketypes,waypoints,routes -o gpx -F "gps.gpx"

Thanks for your help.

Allen

SRE

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

SRE
At 10:26 AM 7/16/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>Looking up Qt5 I find it is all about a graphical user interface,
>which I definitely do not want to install.

I lost the ability to build, and therefore to contribute, when Qt5
was incorporated. That's just the way it is now. You'll have to
install Qt (which I tried and failed to get working on Windoze)
or install a pre-compiled binary distribution.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
Where is a precompiled binary distribution?

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:13 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 10:26 AM 7/16/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>Looking up Qt5 I find it is all about a graphical user interface,
>which I definitely do not want to install.

I lost the ability to build, and therefore to contribute, when Qt5
was incorporated. That's just the way it is now. You'll have to
install Qt (which I tried and failed to get working on Windoze)
or install a pre-compiled binary distribution.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, and Welcome.

Qt offers a lot of APIs; a GUI is only one of them.

We still have supported (and shipped) the command line version, just like we have for 17 years. Our command line edition uses QtCore for strings, time, and such. Our GUI uses, unsurprisingly, QtGui.

I don't know enough about Edison to know where or how they distribute packages. At a glance, Galileo looks like another x86 Linux, and since many popular Linux apps use Qt, it's likely that you won't have to build it from scratch. The question to ask your Galileo community is "how can I get Qt (or at least QtCore...though I won't swear we don't use other Qt modules)  for Galileo?"

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Allen Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where is a precompiled binary distribution?

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:13 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 10:26 AM 7/16/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>Looking up Qt5 I find it is all about a graphical user interface,
>which I definitely do not want to install.

I lost the ability to build, and therefore to contribute, when Qt5
was incorporated. That's just the way it is now. You'll have to
install Qt (which I tried and failed to get working on Windoze)
or install a pre-compiled binary distribution.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
I was pointed to this blog entry http://hobby.farit.ru/qt5-gui-intel-edison/

And it looked a little more complicated than other Edison related things I spent days on with no luck.  It seems it would be easier to write my own converter than follow that rabbit hole.

I have gpsbabel running on my Windows 7 machine and my hope was to find something as simple as that was.

I have searched using Google for a converter but pretty much all the articles reference gpsbabel.

I was just hoping that it was not this difficult.

Also, I need to give this to a half dozen other users and if it look complicated to me, it will be impossible for them.

Allen

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, and Welcome.

Qt offers a lot of APIs; a GUI is only one of them.

We still have supported (and shipped) the command line version, just like we have for 17 years. Our command line edition uses QtCore for strings, time, and such. Our GUI uses, unsurprisingly, QtGui.

I don't know enough about Edison to know where or how they distribute packages. At a glance, Galileo looks like another x86 Linux, and since many popular Linux apps use Qt, it's likely that you won't have to build it from scratch. The question to ask your Galileo community is "how can I get Qt (or at least QtCore...though I won't swear we don't use other Qt modules)  for Galileo?"

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Allen Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where is a precompiled binary distribution?

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:13 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 10:26 AM 7/16/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>Looking up Qt5 I find it is all about a graphical user interface,
>which I definitely do not want to install.

I lost the ability to build, and therefore to contribute, when Qt5
was incorporated. That's just the way it is now. You'll have to
install Qt (which I tried and failed to get working on Windoze)
or install a pre-compiled binary distribution.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Robert Lipe-4
​That page is titled. ​
"Qt5 GUI on Intel Edison"

​If you don't want the GUI, don't build the GUI.

I don't do Galileo[1], but it looks like it runs Yocto Linux. Since that very page says "the version of Qt in the Yocto package is 5.3.2."​, find that and install it. Quit fixating on the GUI.  The standard ./configure && make (or qmake && make) builds the command line version.

You really need to find a group with a higher concentration of Galileo/Yocto expertise than you'll find here.​

RJL
[1] I do some Pi and C.H.I.P., where the environments tend to be debian-based, so the parlance isn't alien. It's just not a dialect I speak.​

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Allen Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was pointed to this blog entry http://hobby.farit.ru/qt5-gui-intel-edison/

And it looked a little more complicated than other Edison related things I spent days on with no luck.  It seems it would be easier to write my own converter than follow that rabbit hole.

I have gpsbabel running on my Windows 7 machine and my hope was to find something as simple as that was.

I have searched using Google for a converter but pretty much all the articles reference gpsbabel.

I was just hoping that it was not this difficult.

Also, I need to give this to a half dozen other users and if it look complicated to me, it will be impossible for them.

Allen

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, and Welcome.

Qt offers a lot of APIs; a GUI is only one of them.

We still have supported (and shipped) the command line version, just like we have for 17 years. Our command line edition uses QtCore for strings, time, and such. Our GUI uses, unsurprisingly, QtGui.

I don't know enough about Edison to know where or how they distribute packages. At a glance, Galileo looks like another x86 Linux, and since many popular Linux apps use Qt, it's likely that you won't have to build it from scratch. The question to ask your Galileo community is "how can I get Qt (or at least QtCore...though I won't swear we don't use other Qt modules)  for Galileo?"

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Allen Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where is a precompiled binary distribution?

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:13 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 10:26 AM 7/16/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>Looking up Qt5 I find it is all about a graphical user interface,
>which I definitely do not want to install.

I lost the ability to build, and therefore to contribute, when Qt5
was incorporated. That's just the way it is now. You'll have to
install Qt (which I tried and failed to get working on Windoze)
or install a pre-compiled binary distribution.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
Nevermind.  I am writing my own.  Almost done, just need the date and time line.

It might be useful to document which Qt is required, what exactly it is called, and where to find it.

Cheers.

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Allen Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am not fixating on the GUI.  I am actually trying to just get gpsbabel to work from a command line.  I asked Intel and they sent me to that page that seems very GUI focused, which is why I didn't try and follow its instructions and called it a rabbit hole, something I go down only to find it is not what I want.

I tried installing Qt, QT, Qt5m Qt5.3.2 and got "unknown package" on all.

I did find a link that said it was just what I wanted from StackOverflow  http://doc.qt.io/QtEnterpriseEmbedded/qtee-custom-embedded-linux-image.html

It says it will install "Boot to Qt" which right away looks like another rabbit hole.

I see references to meta-qt5 and qtcreator.  I don't know what gpsbabel needs.  I think it needs Qt5 but I can't find it.

Allen

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
​That page is titled. ​
"Qt5 GUI on Intel Edison"

​If you don't want the GUI, don't build the GUI.

I don't do Galileo[1], but it looks like it runs Yocto Linux. Since that very page says "the version of Qt in the Yocto package is 5.3.2."​, find that and install it. Quit fixating on the GUI.  The standard ./configure && make (or qmake && make) builds the command line version.

You really need to find a group with a higher concentration of Galileo/Yocto expertise than you'll find here.​

RJL
[1] I do some Pi and C.H.I.P., where the environments tend to be debian-based, so the parlance isn't alien. It's just not a dialect I speak.​

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Allen Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was pointed to this blog entry http://hobby.farit.ru/qt5-gui-intel-edison/

And it looked a little more complicated than other Edison related things I spent days on with no luck.  It seems it would be easier to write my own converter than follow that rabbit hole.

I have gpsbabel running on my Windows 7 machine and my hope was to find something as simple as that was.

I have searched using Google for a converter but pretty much all the articles reference gpsbabel.

I was just hoping that it was not this difficult.

Also, I need to give this to a half dozen other users and if it look complicated to me, it will be impossible for them.

Allen

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, and Welcome.

Qt offers a lot of APIs; a GUI is only one of them.

We still have supported (and shipped) the command line version, just like we have for 17 years. Our command line edition uses QtCore for strings, time, and such. Our GUI uses, unsurprisingly, QtGui.

I don't know enough about Edison to know where or how they distribute packages. At a glance, Galileo looks like another x86 Linux, and since many popular Linux apps use Qt, it's likely that you won't have to build it from scratch. The question to ask your Galileo community is "how can I get Qt (or at least QtCore...though I won't swear we don't use other Qt modules)  for Galileo?"

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Allen Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where is a precompiled binary distribution?

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:13 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 10:26 AM 7/16/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>Looking up Qt5 I find it is all about a graphical user interface,
>which I definitely do not want to install.

I lost the ability to build, and therefore to contribute, when Qt5
was incorporated. That's just the way it is now. You'll have to
install Qt (which I tried and failed to get working on Windoze)
or install a pre-compiled binary distribution.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Robert Lipe-4
https://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/Source.html lists the name for several Linux distributions. I do see it's a tad out of date as it lists 4.6 while our floor is a bit higher than that at either 5.2 or 5.4, so I'll put that on the list to update.

If you're looking to parse most of the output from the NMEA of one specific GPS, writing your own NMEA reader isn't hard. If you're looking for something that's battle tested against many hundreds of NMEA variations and that deals with all the weird edge/corner cases of optional fields, devices that lie about checksums, store required data in proprietary sentences, etc while writing to any of a few hundred formats or doing any kind of post-processing. installing Qt and building GPSBabel is still the way to go, IMO. We've spent over 15 years at it. I just think you're the first on the list to ever try on Edison/Galileo.

SRE

At 09:43 AM 7/17/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>I am almost done with the C code of my translator and yes, it is not difficult.

Note to developers: Qt brought some benefits, but the cost (binary
size and install-to-buildbuild complexity) is too high for many.

Perhaps a build procedure listing all the steps from a basic OS
install to building GPSBabel would "illuminate" whether there are
too many dependencies for the average programmer-level hack, or
whether this sort of complaint is about people who shouldn't be
building but who are forced to build because they can't download
a pre-built binary. Potential contributors will just roll their own
if they can't build yours with a reasonable investment, and we're
all far better off without the one-off tools "competing" for users
and developers.

Just food for thought...

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 09:43 AM 7/17/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>I am almost done with the C code of my translator and yes, it is not difficult.

Note to developers: Qt brought some benefits, but the cost (binary
size and install-to-buildbuild complexity) is too high for many.

​Development, particularly cross-platform, is hard.​

For Mac and Windows users, go to the cited page, see you need to install Qt, and you're ready to go. You have compilers, IDE, debugger, etc.
Most Linux and other open source OSes already have Qt packaged for your OS; you just have to find it. The page I cited includes Fedora, CentOS, and Ubuntu. I simply can't list the name and instructions for all 294 Linux distros. I'm not sure we want to be a tutorial for setting up development environment any more than we want to teach C++. Reasonable help with questions seems like all we should do.

Perhaps a build procedure listing all the steps from a basic OS
install to building GPSBabel would "illuminate" whether there are
too many dependencies for the average programmer-level hack, or

​1) Get GPSBabel source.​
​2) Install Qt if you haven't already done so.
3) Either ./configure && make if you're into command line development on a UNIX-y system or start Qt Creator with GPSBabel.pro if you want an IDE and/or you're on Windows.

a pre-built binary. Potential contributors will just roll their own
if they can't build yours with a reasonable investment, and we're

​As for size, it's true that we no longer fit on a floppy, but it's not like​ multi-megabyte apps aren't the norm these days. When I solved things like robust XML serialization or sub-second, pre-1970 time with Qt, that cost us some space, but it's not like solving it WELL would have been any easier to explain (the number of programmers familiar with Qt > number familiar with any API I'd have invented from scratch) or likely much smaller. Finally having a robust, well documented String library is so nice. Having to never worry about an uninitialized member of, say, an RGB structure is nice. It's absolutely true that we're bigger than we used to be in the process.

​I know you've always struggled with your development environment and we've never really had a critical mass of Windows devs. ​Because we touch hardware, we've always had problem modules like Delorme's use of USB/HID (one reason I dropped it) and Garmin's need for libusb on Mac and Linux (the Linux USB changed the API but aren't interested in changing and retesting us. Since the GPSes involved are all over 10 years old and the number of patches I've seen for them in the last 10 years is approaching zero, that's not very interesting) So we do have some sharp edges. For Garmin's USB proto, we solve this on Mac by providing our own USB. On Linux, we rely on the system libusb, which is subject to the above frailty. So our external dependencies are a bit uglier than, say, SleepyHead, another cross-platform Qt app.

It's not like we've ever had more than 3-4 active developers at a time for very long and I don't think that making that three step list into a six step list that showed how to use get checkout or unzip an archive or whatever we'd even double that number. I think that asking for help and hoping someone has encountered the same problem you have is reasonable.

In this case, Allen asked a development question on the misc list instead of the development list (which is something that I - or anyone else - should have pointed out) about a system so obscure that there wasn't a critical mass of developers on the misc list to help him out. In fairness, I doubt that he'd have gotten any more help on -code on a Sunday.

​As for competition, if someone else wants to build a better GPSBabel for whatever reason from scratch rather than accept the help given, that's OK with me. If it helps the next person that wants to parse NMEA on an Arduino or whatever, that's great for everyone.

RJL​

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
The issue for me is that without good instructions that are up to date these simple build tasks end up consuming days.  Look at what the guy in my first link, given to me by Intel technical support, had to do.  He was modifying many files to get the build to run and generally ending up with something that sure looked like it wasn't what I wanted anyway.

I was once told I needed to compile the Edison OS from source.  Each compile took about 8 hours of run time and didn't work.  I would be given another suggestion and it didn't work.  That went on for about a week until I figured out that I was compiling on a 32 bit computer and the Intel code was hard coded for a 64 bit computer.  I never did get it to run in spite of lots of online help that was not available for Qt on an Edison.  Every online reference I could find for Qt looked different and all had "red flags" that made me think they were doing something other than what I wanted. I call them rabbit holes.

As far as where I fit in your target programming audience, I built a web site in PHP from scratch that got 75 thousand page views last month and is used by the US Coast Guard for search and rescue, I have several Android apps on the Play store, and have written a multithreaded application for the Edison that reads sensor data and sends calibrated results via UDP to wireless displays.  I am not an expert programmer but I think I am at least average.

On gpsbabel it just got to the point that it is easier to build it into my program as the other worry I had was that this application has other users and what would I have to do to support them.  Just too much uncertainty which is risk.

Just giving you my perspective. You have a great program and it is too bad I decided to roll my own but I don't regret the decision.  Not off to write the last function.

Allen

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 09:43 AM 7/17/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>I am almost done with the C code of my translator and yes, it is not difficult.

Note to developers: Qt brought some benefits, but the cost (binary
size and install-to-buildbuild complexity) is too high for many.

Perhaps a build procedure listing all the steps from a basic OS
install to building GPSBabel would "illuminate" whether there are
too many dependencies for the average programmer-level hack, or
whether this sort of complaint is about people who shouldn't be
building but who are forced to build because they can't download
a pre-built binary. Potential contributors will just roll their own
if they can't build yours with a reasonable investment, and we're
all far better off without the one-off tools "competing" for users
and developers.

Just food for thought...

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
"Install Qt" isn't that obvious to this non expert.  LIke I said, I asked Intel technical support how to install Qt and they gave me this link http://hobby.farit.ru/qt5-gui-intel-edison/.  Pretty obvious from comments on this thread that it was not the correct set of instructions.  The next place I found for installing Qt on Yocto was on StackOverflow. The link was dead.  I decoded where it had moved to and it was a boot to Qt, which also didn't look right.

So IMHO, "Install Qt" is not a sufficient set of instructions.

Pardon me if I drop out.  I am not trying to complain, just trying to give some feedback to help the next person.

Allen

SRE

At 11:06 AM 7/17/17, Robert Lipe wrote:
>see you need to install Qt, and you're ready to go

Nope. Qt won't build on my Win10 machine, nor would it build
on my Win7 box before it. Even when it did sort of work after
a week of thrashing on my old Vista box, the GPSBabel build
environment didn't build the GUI exe. Installing Qt is by no
means a simple task, in my experience, and I eventually gave up.

At 11:35 AM 7/17/17, Allen Edwards wrote:
>"Install Qt" isn't that obvious to this non expert.

I agree. That's my point. That's why I'm stirring the pot.

Even if you can get it to build or install, the config and
overlapping dependencies are killer. There is certainly a
solution to the maze, but I never found it. I used to write
$70k/copy custom software for Unix, sold internationally, so
I'm not stoopid but I'm also not up to date.

I've asked several times if anyone has a working Windoze build
environment for GPSBabel, and only heard crickets. If my info
is out of date, I'd love to get going again. (But I'm unlikely
to go back to Unix given the set of tools I'm using this decade.)

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 11:06 AM 7/17/17, Robert Lipe wrote:
>see you need to install Qt, and you're ready to go

Nope. Qt won't build on my Win10 machine, nor would it build
on my Win7 box before it. Even when it did sort of work after
Install the version for Windows.

That's the same downfall that Allen had; building WITH Qt is different than building Qt.​
​ I'll try to make it clearer on that page that you should almost always be running the prebuilt versions of Qt and not trying to build Qt itself.

​Building Qt and installing Qt are about as different as baking a cake and eating a cake.​
​ Building Qt is, indeed, a beast. The same is true as, say, GCC. Installing GCC is like a 20 second operation. BUILDING GCC is a half day job to find all the dependencies and then 10 hours of building.

I've asked several times if anyone has a working Windoze build
environment for GPSBabel, and only heard crickets. If my info

​We just don't have a lot of developers using Windows. We never have, and I gather that's common in open source projects; the percentage of developers is disproportionately low. Without doing a search, you and Gerhard are the two that come to mind. Perhaps there have been more that just haven't had the problems you've had.​ I use Windows only begrudgingly. If not for building GPSBabel, I'd have been mostly Microsoft-free since the late 80's so I can't offer huge amounts of help with the build setup.

As a sanity check, I just ran
changed directory into gpsbabel and successfully built it on OS/X. The GPSBabel.pro file seems up to date. (It does fall out of date from time to time as I alternate development between configure && make (primary) and QtCreator (secondary) depending on which computer I'm using and from where.

Hope that clears things up.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
Simple, unless you want an offline installer for a 32 bit Linux computer like the Edison...  I have no browser so seems that online installer, which does list a 32 bit version, is out of the question.  But only a 64 bit version is listed for offline.  Or maybe I just don't understand but doesn't matter.

I finished my converter and it is working nicely.  Now I am adding features like not starting the gpx file until the speed is above 1.3 knots so I don't just collect data while in the slip before the race.  Not sure if gpsbabel can do that or not but it is sometimes nice to build an application specific version in the long run.

Allen

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 11:06 AM 7/17/17, Robert Lipe wrote:
>see you need to install Qt, and you're ready to go

Nope. Qt won't build on my Win10 machine, nor would it build
on my Win7 box before it. Even when it did sort of work after
Install the version for Windows.

That's the same downfall that Allen had; building WITH Qt is different than building Qt.​
​ I'll try to make it clearer on that page that you should almost always be running the prebuilt versions of Qt and not trying to build Qt itself.

​Building Qt and installing Qt are about as different as baking a cake and eating a cake.​
​ Building Qt is, indeed, a beast. The same is true as, say, GCC. Installing GCC is like a 20 second operation. BUILDING GCC is a half day job to find all the dependencies and then 10 hours of building.

I've asked several times if anyone has a working Windoze build
environment for GPSBabel, and only heard crickets. If my info

​We just don't have a lot of developers using Windows. We never have, and I gather that's common in open source projects; the percentage of developers is disproportionately low. Without doing a search, you and Gerhard are the two that come to mind. Perhaps there have been more that just haven't had the problems you've had.​ I use Windows only begrudgingly. If not for building GPSBabel, I'd have been mostly Microsoft-free since the late 80's so I can't offer huge amounts of help with the build setup.

As a sanity check, I just ran
changed directory into gpsbabel and successfully built it on OS/X. The GPSBabel.pro file seems up to date. (It does fall out of date from time to time as I alternate development between configure && make (primary) and QtCreator (secondary) depending on which computer I'm using and from where.

Hope that clears things up.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
I just want to say, you have a great piece of software and have done the world a service in providing it.  It is totally up to you all who volunteer as to what you do and don't want to support.  My only goal here with these last emails is to share my experience.  You may or may not be interested so I will not be offended and I hope I am not offending anyone on your end.  I write software that I give away as well.  It serves a much smaller user base, hundreds and not the thousands you must have, but I understand both that you get to decide what you do and don't want to support and the Edison is probably a small corner case.  On the other hand, the reason I do what I do is to get feedback on what I have done wrong so I can improve it.

If my comments help to make the documentation and the process clear to someone else, it will have been a positive use of my time.  Meanwhile, great software and keep up the good work.

Allen

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Allen Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:
Simple, unless you want an offline installer for a 32 bit Linux computer like the Edison...  I have no browser so seems that online installer, which does list a 32 bit version, is out of the question.  But only a 64 bit version is listed for offline.  Or maybe I just don't understand but doesn't matter.

I finished my converter and it is working nicely.  Now I am adding features like not starting the gpx file until the speed is above 1.3 knots so I don't just collect data while in the slip before the race.  Not sure if gpsbabel can do that or not but it is sometimes nice to build an application specific version in the long run.

Allen

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 11:06 AM 7/17/17, Robert Lipe wrote:
>see you need to install Qt, and you're ready to go

Nope. Qt won't build on my Win10 machine, nor would it build
on my Win7 box before it. Even when it did sort of work after
Install the version for Windows.

That's the same downfall that Allen had; building WITH Qt is different than building Qt.​
​ I'll try to make it clearer on that page that you should almost always be running the prebuilt versions of Qt and not trying to build Qt itself.

​Building Qt and installing Qt are about as different as baking a cake and eating a cake.​
​ Building Qt is, indeed, a beast. The same is true as, say, GCC. Installing GCC is like a 20 second operation. BUILDING GCC is a half day job to find all the dependencies and then 10 hours of building.

I've asked several times if anyone has a working Windoze build
environment for GPSBabel, and only heard crickets. If my info

​We just don't have a lot of developers using Windows. We never have, and I gather that's common in open source projects; the percentage of developers is disproportionately low. Without doing a search, you and Gerhard are the two that come to mind. Perhaps there have been more that just haven't had the problems you've had.​ I use Windows only begrudgingly. If not for building GPSBabel, I'd have been mostly Microsoft-free since the late 80's so I can't offer huge amounts of help with the build setup.

As a sanity check, I just ran
changed directory into gpsbabel and successfully built it on OS/X. The GPSBabel.pro file seems up to date. (It does fall out of date from time to time as I alternate development between configure && make (primary) and QtCreator (secondary) depending on which computer I'm using and from where.

Hope that clears things up.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Craig Bergh
Hello Allen
The locosys GPS has menu option for "minimum speed". This means the GPS will not record data below this set speed. Most windsurfers, liters and sailboats set a minimum speed of either 5 knots  or 5 mph.
I hope this helps.
Thank you
Craig Bergh

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 17, 2017, at 6:00 PM, Allen Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:

Simple, unless you want an offline installer for a 32 bit Linux computer like the Edison...  I have no browser so seems that online installer, which does list a 32 bit version, is out of the question.  But only a 64 bit version is listed for offline.  Or maybe I just don't understand but doesn't matter.

I finished my converter and it is working nicely.  Now I am adding features like not starting the gpx file until the speed is above 1.3 knots so I don't just collect data while in the slip before the race.  Not sure if gpsbabel can do that or not but it is sometimes nice to build an application specific version in the long run.

Allen

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM, SRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 11:06 AM 7/17/17, Robert Lipe wrote:
>see you need to install Qt, and you're ready to go

Nope. Qt won't build on my Win10 machine, nor would it build
on my Win7 box before it. Even when it did sort of work after
Install the version for Windows.

That's the same downfall that Allen had; building WITH Qt is different than building Qt.​
​ I'll try to make it clearer on that page that you should almost always be running the prebuilt versions of Qt and not trying to build Qt itself.

​Building Qt and installing Qt are about as different as baking a cake and eating a cake.​
​ Building Qt is, indeed, a beast. The same is true as, say, GCC. Installing GCC is like a 20 second operation. BUILDING GCC is a half day job to find all the dependencies and then 10 hours of building.

I've asked several times if anyone has a working Windoze build
environment for GPSBabel, and only heard crickets. If my info

​We just don't have a lot of developers using Windows. We never have, and I gather that's common in open source projects; the percentage of developers is disproportionately low. Without doing a search, you and Gerhard are the two that come to mind. Perhaps there have been more that just haven't had the problems you've had.​ I use Windows only begrudgingly. If not for building GPSBabel, I'd have been mostly Microsoft-free since the late 80's so I can't offer huge amounts of help with the build setup.

As a sanity check, I just ran
changed directory into gpsbabel and successfully built it on OS/X. The GPSBabel.pro file seems up to date. (It does fall out of date from time to time as I alternate development between configure && make (primary) and QtCreator (secondary) depending on which computer I'm using and from where.

Hope that clears things up.

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
Here is my code.  The input is a file that is created by a bash script from a log file.  It just has a series of nmea gps RMC sentences.  It produces gpx files that work with OpenCPN, which was my goal.  Maybe it has issues and I have not tried it in actual use but it wasn't too bad to create.  It will wait for a speed over 1.3 knots then create a record every second until the end.  That cuts out the sitting at the dock part but not the mid race wind died and the current is taking you out the gate part.  If anybody sees issues with it please feel free to let me know.  I know this is out of scope for gpsbabel but someone said if I wanted to create something and share that was fine so here it is at least so far.

Allen

// heel text code
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <math.h>

double convertLocation(double number,char quad){
double result = 0;
int degrees = (int)(number / 100);
double minutes = (number - degrees * 100) / 60;
result = degrees + minutes;
if (quad == 'S' || quad == 'W') result = -result;
return result;
}

double ktomps(double knots){
return knots * 0.514444; // meters per second
}

void convertDateTime(float time, int when, char bufferOut[]){
//2017-07-12T01:36:03Z
// 120717   013603
int myTime = (int)(time + .5);
char t[7];
char d[7];
sprintf(t, "%06d", myTime);
sprintf(d, "%06d", when);
//printf(" >%s< \n", t);
sprintf(bufferOut,"20%c%c-%c%C-%c%cT%c%C:%c%C:%c%CZ", d[4],d[5],d[2],d[3],d[0],d[1],t[0],t[1],t[2],t[3],t[4],t[5]);
}

int gpx(){
    char line [ 128 ]; /* or other suitable maximum line size */
    // $GPRMC,013603.000,A,3740.1189,N,12219.7050,W,5.89,136.08,120717,,,D*7E
    float time = 0;
    char valid;
    int trigger = 0;
    float latitude = 0;
    float longitude = 0;
    char ns = 'x';
    char ew = 'x';
    float speed = 0;
    float heading = 0;
    int when = 0;
    FILE* fp_gpx = fopen("gps.gpx","w");

printf("ST Create GPX File\n");
FILE* fp_nmea = fopen("gps.nmea","r");
char buffer[50];
if ( fp_nmea != NULL ){
     while ( fgets ( line, sizeof line, fp_nmea ) != NULL ) /* read a line */{
     //fputs ( line, stdout );
     sscanf(line,"$GPRMC,%f,%c,%f,%c,%f,%c,%f,%f,%d",&time,&valid,&latitude,&ns,&longitude,&ew,&speed,&heading,&when);
     if(speed > 1.3) trigger = 1;
     if (valid == 'A' && trigger == 1){
     convertDateTime(time,when,buffer);
     fprintf(fp_gpx,"<trkpt lat=\"%f\" lon=\"%f\">\n",convertLocation(latitude,ns),convertLocation(longitude,ew));
     fprintf(fp_gpx,"<time>%s</time>\n",buffer);
     fprintf(fp_gpx,"  <course>%.1f</course>\n",heading);
     fprintf(fp_gpx,"  <speed>%.3f</speed>\n",ktomps(speed));
     fprintf(fp_gpx,"</trkpt>\n");
     }
     }
}
fclose (fp_nmea);
fclose (fp_gpx);

return 0;
}

int main(int argc, char **argv){
gpx();
return 0;
}

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Craig Bergh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

​We just don't have a lot of developers using Windows. We never have, and I gather that's common in open source projects; the percentage of developers is disproportionately low. Without doing a search, you and Gerhard are the two that come to mind. Perhaps there have been more that just haven't had the problems you've had.​ I use Windows only begrudgingly. If not for building GPSBabel, I'd have been mostly Microsoft-free since the late 80's so I can't offer huge amounts of help with the build setup.

As a sanity check, I just ran
changed directory into gpsbabel and successfully built it on OS/X. The GPSBabel.pro file seems up to date. (It does fall out of date from time to time as I alternate development between configure && make (primary) and QtCreator (secondary) depending on which computer I'm using and from where.

Jason Slagle

Someone should just send me an Edison and I’ll create you a static binary

Jason

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot_______________________________________________ Gpsbabel-misc mailing list http://www.gpsbabel.org [hidden email] To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gpsbabel-misc

Re: Installing gpsbabel on Intel Edison

Allen Edwards
I think I am set but thanks.

Allen