Group Caching

Bruce
Hello,

I'm trying to setup up some group caching. I'm using the following:

gpsbabel -i gpx -f myarea.gpx -i gpx -f myfinds.gpx -i gpx -f gpcomd.gpx -i
gpx -f mudlark.gpx -i gpx -x duplicate,shortname,all -o gpx -F todolist.gpx

I'm still ending up with a bunch of my own found caches in my todolist.gpx.
Am I doing something wrong.  If not how to is script them out of the
todolist.gpx?

Bruce (DancesWithWords)

Re: Group Caching

Robert Lipe-4
Without seeing the data files and specifics on what you're seeing, we're kind of left to guess.

Reproducible test cases to a LONG way in helping to solve problems.  (Reduce the data sets to as few points as you can that demonstrate the problem.)

RJL

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to setup up some group caching. I'm using the following:

gpsbabel -i gpx -f myarea.gpx -i gpx -f myfinds.gpx -i gpx -f gpcomd.gpx -i
gpx -f mudlark.gpx -i gpx -x duplicate,shortname,all -o gpx -F todolist.gpx

I'm still ending up with a bunch of my own found caches in my todolist.gpx.
Am I doing something wrong.  If not how to is script them out of the
todolist.gpx?

Bruce (DancesWithWords)

Re: Group Caching

Bruce
Robert,

The file that is listed as myarea.gpx, it should just include caches that I've
not found and that are enabled. Right?

On Thursday, July 03, 2014 01:28:13 AM Robert Lipe wrote:
> Without seeing the data files and specifics on what you're seeing, we're
> kind of left to guess.
>
> The duplicate shortname filter looks for duplicate <name> tags in GPX.
If,
> for example, one of your files was written by GSAK and uses "smart"
names
> in <name> and another keeps GCid's in <name>, you're going to have
a bad

> day.
>
> Reproducible test cases to a LONG way in helping to solve problems.
>  (Reduce the data sets to as few points as you can that demonstrate the
> problem.)
>
> RJL
>
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to setup up some group caching. I'm using the following:
> >
> > gpsbabel -i gpx -f myarea.gpx -i gpx -f myfinds.gpx -i gpx -f
gpcomd.gpx

> > -i
> > gpx -f mudlark.gpx -i gpx -x duplicate,shortname,all -o gpx -F
> > todolist.gpx
> >

> > I'm still ending up with a bunch of my own found caches in my
> > todolist.gpx.
> > Am I doing something wrong.  If not how to is script them out of the
> > todolist.gpx?
> >

> > Bruce (DancesWithWords)

> > ---- Open source business process management suite built on Java
and
> > Eclipse Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM
> > Community Edition Quickly connect people, data, and systems into
> > organized workflows Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner
awards
> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/Bonitasoft

Re: Group Caching

Gary Turner-6
Bruce,

How on earth would anyone other than you know what is in your GPX file?

It would be much more helpful, as Robert said (almost - typo fixed! ;)

> Reproducible test cases go a LONG way in helping to solve problems.
>  (Reduce the data sets to as few points as you can that demonstrate the
> problem.)

Even if you don't have the skills to edit down your gpx files to a few points, at least post them, so that the people that can help have some information to go on.

The file that is listed as myarea.gpx, it should just include caches that I've
not found and that are enabled. Right?

On Thursday, July 03, 2014 01:28:13 AM Robert Lipe wrote:
> Without seeing the data files and specifics on what you're seeing, we're
> kind of left to guess.
>
> The duplicate shortname filter looks for duplicate <name> tags in GPX.
If,
> for example, one of your files was written by GSAK and uses "smart"
names
> in <name> and another keeps GCid's in <name>, you're going to have
a bad

> day.
>
> Reproducible test cases to a LONG way in helping to solve problems.
>  (Reduce the data sets to as few points as you can that demonstrate the
> problem.)
>
> RJL
>
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to setup up some group caching. I'm using the following:
> >
> > gpsbabel -i gpx -f myarea.gpx -i gpx -f myfinds.gpx -i gpx -f
gpcomd.gpx

> > -i
> > gpx -f mudlark.gpx -i gpx -x duplicate,shortname,all -o gpx -F
> > todolist.gpx
> >

> > I'm still ending up with a bunch of my own found caches in my
> > todolist.gpx.
> > Am I doing something wrong.  If not how to is script them out of the
> > todolist.gpx?
> >

> > Bruce (DancesWithWords)

> > ---- Open source business process management suite built on Java
and
> > Eclipse Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM
> > Community Edition Quickly connect people, data, and systems into
> > organized workflows Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner
awards
> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/Bonitasoft

Re: Group Caching

Robert Lipe-4
Thank you, Gary.

Sometimes we're just better off teaching folks to fish instead of offering fish sandwiches.

The duplicate filter is described at http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_duplicate.html
There are related tips for geocachers at: http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/geocaching.html

Bruce, pocket queries are "just" GPX files; there's no magic to them.  Open them in a text editor and _look_ at what's in them.  There are a zillion ways things can be non-obvious it's not productive to guess.  From your example:

  1. gpsbabel \
  2.  -i gpx -f myarea.gpx \
  3.  -i gpx -f myfinds.gpx \
  4.  -i gpx -f gpcomd.gpx \
  5.  -i gpx -f mudlark.gpx \
  6.   -i gpx -x duplicate,shortname,all -o gpx -F todolist.gpx
#6 Is probably an error.  But assuming there's just one too many "-i gpx" here, 'todolist.gpx'. will contain points from the other four that don't appear more than once.  So if, say, the source lists aren't for the same area with the same options, todolist will probably have more than you think they should if you're not understanding what suppressing duplicates actually means.

Multiple input files (*-f" accululate content  from left to right as they appear. "duplicate,all,shortname", will toss anything in that accumulation that has identical shortnames (<name> tags in GPX).

If, say the files on #2, #4, and 5 are all 50 miles from the center of the city and have identical settings, but #3 is you worldwide list of finds (assuming that you've cached outside that 50 mile circle), those won't have dupes and will appear in the output.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Gary Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bruce,

How on earth would anyone other than you know what is in your GPX file?

It would be much more helpful, as Robert said (almost - typo fixed! ;)

> Reproducible test cases go a LONG way in helping to solve problems.
>  (Reduce the data sets to as few points as you can that demonstrate the
> problem.)

Even if you don't have the skills to edit down your gpx files to a few points, at least post them, so that the people that can help have some information to go on.

The file that is listed as myarea.gpx, it should just include caches that I've
not found and that are enabled. Right?

On Thursday, July 03, 2014 01:28:13 AM Robert Lipe wrote:
> Without seeing the data files and specifics on what you're seeing, we're
> kind of left to guess.
>
> The duplicate shortname filter looks for duplicate <name> tags in GPX.
If,
> for example, one of your files was written by GSAK and uses "smart"
names
> in <name> and another keeps GCid's in <name>, you're going to have
a bad

> day.
>
> Reproducible test cases to a LONG way in helping to solve problems.
>  (Reduce the data sets to as few points as you can that demonstrate the
> problem.)
>
> RJL
>
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to setup up some group caching. I'm using the following:
> >
> > gpsbabel -i gpx -f myarea.gpx -i gpx -f myfinds.gpx -i gpx -f
gpcomd.gpx

> > -i
> > gpx -f mudlark.gpx -i gpx -x duplicate,shortname,all -o gpx -F
> > todolist.gpx
> >

> > I'm still ending up with a bunch of my own found caches in my
> > todolist.gpx.
> > Am I doing something wrong.  If not how to is script them out of the
> > todolist.gpx?
> >

> > Bruce (DancesWithWords)

> > ---- Open source business process management suite built on Java
and
> > Eclipse Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM
> > Community Edition Quickly connect people, data, and systems into
> > organized workflows Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner
awards
> > http://p.sf.net/sfu/Bonitasoft

Re: Group Caching

Bruce
Robert & Gary,

Look I'm sorry if my posts where no helpful to address my issue. I'm a
poor communicator in writing and I should have did more researcher
before posting.

I didn't post the related GPX's as there where a thousand caches in each.
I didn't know if I could edited them and still maintain the same location and
cache number for each cachers GPX.

I presently have run out of query options at geocaching.com for the day.
So I've got to wait until tomorrow to run an other batch of test GPXs.
Tomorrow I'll re-run my test, but with 25 caches per cacher.  Should it be
necessary the smaller sample will make it more feasible to share on the
list.

A bit about my geocaching group there are 7 of us with cache finds
numbering over 10,000 to my low of 2055.  Trying to find caches very
weekend that we all can do is becoming increasingly more difficult.  That
is where Gpsbabel comes in.

The goal is to produce one GPX to share with the group that as 10 to 20
caches we have not found.

Thanks for you time and comments they are appreciated.

==
Bruce

On Thursday, July 03, 2014 05:59:24 PM Robert Lipe wrote:
> Thank you, Gary.
>
> Sometimes we're just better off teaching folks to fish instead of offering
> fish sandwiches.
>
> The duplicate filter is described at
> http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_duplicate.html
> There are related tips for geocachers at:
> http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/geocaching.html
SNIP...

Re: Group Caching

stantstk@pacbell.net
Bruce —

I know this is NOT answering your question as far as GPSBabel is concerned, but if you happen to have GSAK and can run it on your computer (either on a Windows machine or a Mac running a Windows emulator, e.g., Parallels), then you can use a FREE macro titled “Intersection” (written by Clyde, the author of GSAK), that takes multiple .gpx files and finds the intersection of all of the, which is exactly what you want.

Each person in the group sends you his or her .gpx file (from a pocket query) which contains ONLY caches that they have NOT found. You input each of those .gpx files one at a time, and the resulting database shows ONLY the caches that ALL OF YOU have not found.

Using a bit of logic, multiple databases, and filter settings, you can get other results if you prefer.

But the “Intersection” macro will do what you want.

HTH,

Stan

On Jul 3, 2014, at 4:31 PM, Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert & Gary,
>
> Look I'm sorry if my posts where no helpful to address my issue. I'm a
> poor communicator in writing and I should have did more researcher
> before posting.
>
> I didn't post the related GPX's as there where a thousand caches in each.
> I didn't know if I could edited them and still maintain the same location and
> cache number for each cachers GPX.
>
> I presently have run out of query options at geocaching.com for the day.
> So I've got to wait until tomorrow to run an other batch of test GPXs.
> Tomorrow I'll re-run my test, but with 25 caches per cacher.  Should it be
> necessary the smaller sample will make it more feasible to share on the
> list.
>
> A bit about my geocaching group there are 7 of us with cache finds
> numbering over 10,000 to my low of 2055.  Trying to find caches very
> weekend that we all can do is becoming increasingly more difficult.  That
> is where Gpsbabel comes in.
>
> The goal is to produce one GPX to share with the group that as 10 to 20
> caches we have not found.
>
> Thanks for you time and comments they are appreciated.
>
> ==
> Bruce
>

> On Thursday, July 03, 2014 05:59:24 PM Robert Lipe wrote:
>> Thank you, Gary.
>>
>> Sometimes we're just better off teaching folks to fish instead of offering
>> fish sandwiches.
>>
>> The duplicate filter is described at
>> http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_duplicate.html
>> There are related tips for geocachers at:
>> http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/geocaching.html
> SNIP...

Re: Group Caching

Bruce
Stan,

I'm aware of GSAK, unfortunately I'm a Linux only house, no windows
machines.  I will bring this up with the group maybe one of them would do
the group caching agendas.  But I'd still like to have a back up plan using
gpsbabel.  I've been using it for years to upload/download info out of my
Garmin 60csx.

Thanks for the reply.

==
Bruce

On Thursday, July 03, 2014 08:20:44 PM Stan Glaser wrote:
> [...]

> > ==
> > Bruce
> >
> > On Thursday, July 03, 2014 05:59:24 PM Robert Lipe wrote:
> >> Thank you, Gary.
> >>
> >> Sometimes we're just better off teaching folks to fish instead of
> >> offering
> >> fish sandwiches.
> >>
> >> The duplicate filter is described at
> >> http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/filter_duplicate.html
> >> There are related tips for geocachers at:
> >> http://www.gpsbabel.org/tips/geocaching.html
> >
> > SNIP...

> > ---- Open source business process management suite built on Java
and
> > Eclipse Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM
> > Community Edition Quickly connect people, data, and systems into
> > organized workflows Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner

Re: Group Caching

Picking one at random, GC2JGCT, appears in todolist because it appears uniquely in myfinds1.  It is not duplicated in the others and is therefore not suppressed.   Look at the bounding boxes of your GPX files.

$ grep bounds myarea1.gpx myfinds1.gpx gisguy1.gpx mudlark1.gpx
myarea1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.2273" minlon="-0.1906" maxlat="45.376867" maxlon="-0.13895" />
myfinds1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.229017" minlon="-75.235417" maxlat="45.37335" maxlon="-75.08115" />
gisguy1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.267083" minlon="-75.195633" maxlat="45.338617" maxlon="-75.08345" />
mudlark1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.267083" minlon="-75.195633" maxlat="45.338617" maxlon="-75.08345" />

Since 'myarea' is on a different continent than everything else, it doesn't add anything to the duplicate pool.

This is not a GPSBabel problem.

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
Give the following should I still be getting some of my own found caches in
the final result (todolist.gpx)?

I've attached the corresponding files.

The command I ran (without the comments)

gpsbabel \
-i gpx -f myarea1.gpx \ (25 traditional cache at lat./long, radius 12 miles)
-i gpx -f myfinds1.gpx  \ (25 found traditional caches at lat./long, radius 12
miles)
-i gpx -f gisguy1.gpx \ (25 found traditional caches at lat./long, radius 12
miles)
-i gpx -f mudlark1.gpx  \ (25 found traditional caches at lat./long, radius 12
miles)
-x duplicate,shortname,all -o gpx -F todolist.gpx

--
bruce

Re: Group Caching

Robert Lipe-4
If you believe that what's in the PQ doesn't match the preview or that the preview doesn't match your selections, you need to take that up with Groundspeak, not here.  A 12 mile boundary in Canada does not include France.

You also should learn to use the preview features there before burning your daily PQ balance.  But, again, learning how to use their web site isn't appropriate for this list.

If you can show a case where GPSBabel's duplicate filter fails to detect and act on duplicates in the input stream, then this list is an appropriate place to continue the discussion.

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
Robert,

So I ran this couple of more time and I've discovered that geocaching.com has
a problem when you are specifying a lat./long.  See attached picture and
myfind3.gpx.  The info regarding lat./long, radius does not match what is
entered.  The resulting todolist.gpx only includes my found caches.  Is this
mismatch the source of my problem?

I don't have enough queries left today, but tomorrow I'm going to try
specifying a cache as the center point and see if I get the same results.

grep  myfinds3.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.229017" minlon="-75.235417"

On Saturday, July 05, 2014 12:42:39 PM Robert Lipe wrote:
> Picking one at random, GC2JGCT, appears in todolist because it appears
> uniquely in myfinds1.  It is not duplicated in the others and is therefore
> not suppressed.   Look at the bounding boxes of your GPX files.
>
> $ grep bounds myarea1.gpx myfinds1.gpx gisguy1.gpx mudlark1.gpx
> myarea1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.2273" minlon="-0.1906" maxlat="45.376867"
> maxlon="-0.13895" />
> myfinds1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.229017" minlon="-75.235417"
> maxlat="45.37335" maxlon="-75.08115" />
> gisguy1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.267083" minlon="-75.195633"
> maxlat="45.338617" maxlon="-75.08345" />
> mudlark1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.267083" minlon="-75.195633"
> maxlat="45.338617" maxlon="-75.08345" />
>
> Since 'myarea' is on a different continent than everything else, it doesn't
> add anything to the duplicate pool.
>
> This is not a GPSBabel problem.
>
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Give the following should I still be getting some of my own found caches
> > in
> > the final result (todolist.gpx)?
> >
> > I've attached the corresponding files.
> >

> > The command I ran (without the comments)
> >
> > gpsbabel \
> > -i gpx -f myarea1.gpx \ (25 traditional cache at lat./long, radius 12
> > miles)
> > -i gpx -f myfinds1.gpx  \ (25 found traditional caches at lat./long,
> > radius 12
> > miles)
> > -i gpx -f gisguy1.gpx \ (25 found traditional caches at lat./long, radius
> > 12
> > miles)
> > -i gpx -f mudlark1.gpx  \ (25 found traditional caches at lat./long,
> > radius 12
> > miles)
> > -x duplicate,shortname,all -o gpx -F todolist.gpx
> >

> > --
> > bruce

Re: Group Caching

Bruce
Hello,

First, the issue with the bounds is being dealt with by the geocaching.com
bugs.

Second, I've be able to get the group caching working.

Third, the final todolist.gpx here contains both found and not found caches.
How do I get rid of the found caches? If I try the "all" option I end up with
an empty todolist.gpx .

gpsbabel -D9 -i gpx -f myarea4.gpx -i gpx -f myfinds4.gpx -i gpx -f myfinds4.gpx
-i gpx -f geomo4.gpx -x duplicate,shortname -o gpx -F todolist.gpx

If needed the GPX's are available.

==
Bruce

PS. I've read all the posts on gpsbabel regarding duplicates and did an
Internet search and read the gpsbabel documentation.

On Saturday, July 05, 2014 02:12:23 PM Robert Lipe wrote:

> If you believe that what's in the PQ doesn't match the preview or that the
> preview doesn't match your selections, you need to take that up with
> Groundspeak, not here.  A 12 mile boundary in Canada does not include
> France.
>
> You also should learn to use the preview features there before burning your
> daily PQ balance.  But, again, learning how to use their web site isn't
> appropriate for *this* list.
>

> If you can show a case where GPSBabel's duplicate filter fails to detect
> and act on duplicates in the input stream, then this list is an appropriate
> place to continue the discussion.
>
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Robert,
> >
> > So I ran this couple of more time and I've discovered that geocaching.com
> > has
> > a problem when you are specifying a lat./long.  See attached picture and
> > myfind3.gpx.  The info regarding lat./long, radius does not match what is
> > entered.  The resulting todolist.gpx only includes my found caches.  Is
> > this
> > mismatch the source of my problem?
> >
> > I don't have enough queries left today, but tomorrow I'm going to try
> > specifying a cache as the center point and see if I get the same results.
> >
> > grep  myfinds3.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.229017" minlon="-75.235417"
> > maxlat="45.37335" maxlon="-75.08115" />
> >
> > ==
> > Bruce
> >
> > On Saturday, July 05, 2014 12:42:39 PM Robert Lipe wrote:
> > > Picking one at random, GC2JGCT, appears in todolist because it appears
> > > uniquely in myfinds1.  It is not duplicated in the others and is
> >
> > therefore
> >
> > > not suppressed.   Look at the bounding boxes of your GPX files.
> > >
> > > $ grep bounds myarea1.gpx myfinds1.gpx gisguy1.gpx mudlark1.gpx
> > > myarea1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.2273" minlon="-0.1906"
> >
> > maxlat="45.376867"
> >
> > > maxlon="-0.13895" />
> > > myfinds1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.229017" minlon="-75.235417"
> > > maxlat="45.37335" maxlon="-75.08115" />
> > > gisguy1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.267083" minlon="-75.195633"
> > > maxlat="45.338617" maxlon="-75.08345" />
> > > mudlark1.gpx:  <bounds minlat="45.267083" minlon="-75.195633"
> > > maxlat="45.338617" maxlon="-75.08345" />
> > >
> > > Since 'myarea' is on a different continent than everything else, it
> >
> > doesn't
> >
> > > add anything to the duplicate pool.
> > >
> > > This is not a GPSBabel problem.

> > caches

> > radius

GPSBabel 1.5.3 for Mac doesn't accept a drag-and-drop??

stantstk@pacbell.net
Is it just me, or does the new 1.5.3.dmg release no longer accept a drag-and-drop of a file from the desktop?

I tried dragging a file named "2015-12-20 11.01.03 Day.gpx” to the Input section for File Name(s) and it came up with “/.file/id=6571367.13131907” in the box. Of course I tried clicking on “OK” but it just came up with an error of

> gpsbabel -w -t -i gpx -f /.file/id=6571367.13131907 -x position,distance=3F -o gpx,gpxver=1.0 -F /.file/id=6571367.13131907
> Cannot open '/.file/id=6571367.13131907' for read. Error was 'Not a directory'.
>
> Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1

I reverted back to 1.5.2 and things are back to normal. MacBook Pro running El Cap 10.11.2.

Thanks,

Stan

Re: GPSBabel 1.5.3 for Mac doesn't accept a drag-and-drop??

Robert Lipe-4
Looks like you're right, Stan.  It's a bug in the toolkit we use.  https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-40449  I'll update Qt on my master build Mac.  Thanx for the report.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Stan Glaser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it just me, or does the new 1.5.3.dmg release no longer accept a drag-and-drop of a file from the desktop?

I tried dragging a file named "<a href="tel:2015-12-20%2011" value="+12015122011">2015-12-20 11.01.03 Day.gpx” to the Input section for File Name(s) and it came up with “/.file/id=6571367.13131907” in the box. Of course I tried clicking on “OK” but it just came up with an error of