[Gpsbabel-code] Geekfest 2

alan-7
Geekfest 2, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gcp7k6 ,  is
coming up. Does anyone have GPSBabel commands, procedures, processes, etc. they
would like to share? If so, I'll give you credit for it.

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Geekfest 2

Ron Parker-2
At 02:48 PM 6/29/2005, [hidden email] wrote:
>Geekfest 2, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gcp7k6 ,  is
>coming up. Does anyone have GPSBabel commands, procedures, processes, etc.
>they
>would like to share? If so, I'll give you credit for it.

How about finding all of the benchmarks that are outside of your county,
within a margin of error?

gpsbabel -i gpx -f bm.gpx -x polygon,file=allen.txt,exclude \
          -x arc,file=allen.txt,distance=.1m,exclude \
          -o gpx -F bm-errors.gpx

How about finding all of the caches within 2 miles of either your home or
your work?

gpsbabel -i gpx -f pq.gpx \
          -x stack,push -x radius,lat=41.1,lon=85.1,distance=2m \
          -x stack,swap -x radius,lat=41.5,lon=85.1,distance=2m \
          -x stack,pop,append -x duplicate,shortname \
          -o gpx -F homework.gpx

Putting multiple routes from Street Atlas into a Street Atlas drawing layer?

gpsbabel -i saroute -f route1.anr -f route2.anr -o an1 -F routes.an1

(see http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=3435 )

Re: Geekfest 2

> Geekfest 2, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gcp7k6

I'm not sure if I'm a "real geocacher", but I'll confess I don't
actually _use_ GSAK.  It's not because GSAK isn't nifty; I just have my
own hand-rolled stuff running on Liux that predates GSAK.

Well, that and I'm a dinosaur.

> Does anyone have GPSBabel commands, procedures, processes, etc. they

How about high-density paper geocaching:

  gpsbabel -i gpx -f blah.gpx -o text -F foo.txt

suck foo.txt into your favorite word processor, set a small font and 3
columns and print double sided. Yield: about 20 typical cache pages per
piece of paper.

Here's a trick I use all the time.  The example is grubby, but you can
clean it up for a class and just run with the idea. I use variations of
this frequently for trips:

TGTDIR=/home/robertl/src/geo/mgpx

TGT=lat=38.6,lon=-90.4

gpsbabel -i gpx -f "${TGTDIR}/IL-1" -xradius,${TGT},distance=15 \
        -x stack,push  \
        -i gpx  -f ${TGTDIR}/IL-1 -f ${TGTDIR}/MyMiddleTN \
        -x arc,file=/home/robertl/src/geo/route/stl-nash.txt,distance=10 \
        -x stack,pop,append \
        -x radius,${TGT},distance=9999  \
        -x duplicate,shortname  \
        -o gpx -F /tmp/blah.gpx -o s_and_t -F /tmp/blah.txt

It gives me the caches AROUND my travel destination (TGT) plus the
caches within N miles (15) of the destination and sorts them by
increasing order from distance from ground zero on the premise that MOST
of the caches I'll hunt will be on the far end of trip.  I invariably
have to fiddle with the names and number of PQ's used as well as the two
radiuses.  (Trip with family == closer distance to interstate.  Longer
stay with family == bigger circle around their house.)

The "IL" PQ in this example was carefully built using both radius and
state selections so it got southern IL, the ST Louis area, and KY but
didn't get sucked into the gravity of Memphis or Nashville.  Multiple
state selections make effective "masks" with radius selection in PQ.s

I keep canned arcs for trips I make a lot, such as family visits.

I used this very example just a few weeks ago for a solo 60 find, 400
mile day when coming back from the inlaws...

If you can leave a classroom with a dozen people that actually grasp the
power of the stack filter and are attuned to its zen, you'll have surely
doubled the number of such people on the planet. :-)

--
Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Re: Geekfest 2

Ron Parker-2
At 04:29 PM 6/29/2005, Robert Lipe wrote:
>If you can leave a classroom with a dozen people that actually grasp the
>power of the stack filter and are attuned to its zen, you'll have surely
>doubled the number of such people on the planet. :-)

I think that's a very generous estimate, but I'm glad to see someone
besides me finds it useful.