Google

Cheryl White
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, is there anyplace that has a step action guide to using GPS Babel?  I downloaded it with an intention of using it in conjunction with Google maps.  The Read Me guide indicates:

This format is designed to read the XML emitted when you tack "&output=js" onto the end of a Google Maps route URL (use the "link to this page" option to get a usable URL.)

But I'm unsure what this means.  If I click the "link to this page" then tack on "&output=js" what next?  Do I click GO (which brings up a blank page), or save the page without clicking GO?  If I save the page, do I save as .htm, .gpx, or .xml?  When using the converter, what should my output be - I've got a Magellen SporTrak, but I'm not sure if I should be using Magellen serial protocol or something else.  If I'm supposed to save the google map as an .xml, when I open it, I receive a message that JavaScript is either not enabled or browser does not support it - I'm using IE 6 SP2 and Java is enabled.

I searched the lists as well as the web, and I'm unable to find any step action guide to using this program, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Cheryl

Re: Google

Robert Lipe
Hi, Cheryl

>    At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, is there anyplace
>    that has a step action guide to using GPS Babel?  I downloaded it

Our README has all the information.  Some say it has too much
information.

>    with an intention of using it in conjunction with Google maps.  The
>    Read Me guide indicates:

Unfortunately, you stumbled into a format that's kind of a pain to use.
Part of that is becuase Google never really meant to be used in this
way. :-)

>    This format is designed to read the XML emitted when you tack
>    "&output=js" onto the end of a Google Maps route URL (use the "link
>    to this page" option to get a usable URL.)
>
>    But I'm unsure what this means.  If I click the "link to this
>    page" then tack on "&output=js" what next?  Do I click GO (which

"Link to this page" will give you a URL that looks like this:

        http://maps.google.com/maps?spn=0.388210,0.654922&saddr=franklin,+tn&daddr=nashville,+tn&hl=en

append that string to get:

        http://maps.google.com/maps?spn=0.388210,0.654922&saddr=franklin,+tn&daddr=nashville,+tn&hl=en&output=js

You'll get a page that's not particularly interesting looking in a
browser - all you'll see is one text input box.  Save this HTML page
(file->save as) to a file and then feed that to GPSBabel.  This example
will read the file I saved as "zzz" and writes it as a GPX file where I
can read it as it blows by on the screen.

        gpsbabel -i google -f zzz -o gpx -F -

>    but I'm not sure if I should be using Magellen serial protocol or
>    something else.  If I'm supposed to save the google map as an .xml,

In principle, you could shoot it as a route directly to your SporTrak.
        gpsbabel -r -i google -f zzz -o magellan -F com1:
(replace "com1:" with whatver OS you're using calls your serial port)

In practice, however, it's unlikely to work without manipulation.
Magellan routes are limited to either 30 or 50 points, depending upon
which firmware version is in use.  The google format calls out the
coordinates of the turns but they're buried amidst the via points in the
line used to draw the blue line and thus, every kink in the road.  So
you might want to pull that route into your favorite route editor and
keep just the 'interesting' turn points.

Fortunately Ron's 'google' module knows how to find those turn
points and we have a tool that throws away the most mathematically
uninteresting points in a track or a route.  Those two modules know how
to talk to each other and try very hard to keep the turns.  So if you
wanted to keep just the 20 most interesting points on the way to your
Magellan, for example, you might use

  gpsbabel -r -i google -f ../zzz -x simplify,count=20 -o magellan -F com1:

You'll probably want to rename your route points from things like '\001a4'
to something more interesting like "Chrch-L".

In all, this really is a process that only a geek is likely to enjoy.
But a geek will automate this process and will be able to do it in
seconds...

--
Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Re: Google

Ron Parker-2
Robert Lipe wrote:

>You'll probably want to rename your route points from things like '\001a4'
>to something more interesting like "Chrch-L".

Hm... The name of the street is in the file from Google, I think.  I
wonder if I can extract it and name the turn points better.
Likewise saroute, actually.