Google Maps API Released

Bill Crooke

Hi,

I just saw on /. that google released the API for maps.google.com.

Bill Crooke

http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/

Re: Google Maps API Released

Rich Gibson
If anyone is planning on implementing a gpsbabel interface with the new
google maps api, and would like to write about it, let me know.

Bill Crooke wrote:

> I just saw on /. that google released the API for maps.google.com.
> http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/

[ drops jaw ]

Wow.   This is _slick_.

Having struggled with online mapping products from Tiger (too ugly, too
unreliable, static images, etc.) and a variety of providers like Expedia
that don't _really_ want you to use the maps for your own purposes, I
have to say I'm totally aroused by this!

The terms of use are quite reasonable for my needs.

I can easily see hooking things like http://www.mtgc.org/lcc/ (a poster
child for ugly tiger maps) up to this.  I'd bet I can hook that up to
their 'XML and Asynchronous RPC' example and get it to read the gpx
files I'm already hocking up as an internal work product.

Thanx for highlighting this.

--
Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Re: Google Maps API Released

Ron Parker-2
Bill Crooke wrote:

> I just saw on /. that google released the API for maps.google.com.

Well, I don't see the API helping with the 'google' input type in
GPSBabel, at least not in this version: