Garmin eTrex 30x

Kero
Hello all,

Just bought a garmin etrex 30x
and I fail to get gpsbabel connect to it.
got my Vista HCx working before I lost it.
Is the etrex 30x supported?

kero@weta:~$ gpsbabel -D 2 -T -i garmin -f usb: -o nmea -F -
GPSBabel Version: 1.5.2
[more options]
TX [12]:00 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ............(SESREQ  )
[3x, all immediate]
RX (intr) [-110]:(CMDDAT  Abort)
[10x or so, each line takes several seconds to appear]

debian unstable,
home made kernel without garmin GPS module
and for when I run vanilla debian kernels,
weta:~[0]# cat /etc/modprobe.d/garmin-blacklist.conf
blacklist garmin-gps

device is in USB garmin mode (it offers to switch to mass storage mode,
when I plug it into USB, which I decline; mass storage mode works, btw)

weta:~[0]# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 009: ID 091e:0003 Garmin International GPS (various models)

weta:~[0]# dmesg | tail
[ 2875.392831] usb 3-3: new full-speed USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
[ 2875.521588] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=0003
[ 2875.521597] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0

weta:~[0]# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/51-garmin.rules
ATTR{idVendor}=="091e", ATTR{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="666", GROUP="plugdev"

Any other info that would help debug this?

Note: building from source failed at my first attempt. Don't need the gui
(unsupported Qt version, but then which is supported?),
and no idea how to disable that. docs anywhere? ./configure
is notoriously bad at listing X-es for --disable-X

Bye,
Kero.

--
If travel is searching
and home what's been found

Re: Garmin eTrex 30x

Robert Lipe-4

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Kero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

Just bought a garmin etrex 30x
and I fail to get gpsbabel connect to it.
got my Vista HCx working before I lost it.
Is the etrex 30x supported?

See footnote 2 at http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_garmin.html#gpx All the handhelds from the last several years show up as a disk drive that you copy GPX files to and from.

kero@weta:~$ gpsbabel -D 2 -T -i garmin -f usb: -o nmea -F -

I don't think you're going to get realtime tracking to work on that model.  That's been disappearing from their devices for a while.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.2/Source.html says that 1.5.2 required Qt >= 4.6.  The development tree has raised that to 5.2, I think.

and no idea how to disable that. docs anywhere? ./configure
is notoriously bad at listing X-es for --disable-X

We don't have a lot of 'disable' flags as they're a combinatorial nightmare.  Actually, looking at our configure --help, several of the ones that are listed should be removed.

Re: Garmin eTrex 30x

Kero
> See footnote 2 at
> http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_garmin.html#gpx

Ah, the effective 'supported hardware' list that I could not find.
So, the answer to my Q whether the eTrex 30x is supported, is "No".
Thx.

gpsbabel for uploading routes and downloading tracks was more convenient
than mass storage mode ;)

>  All the
> handhelds from the last several years show up as a disk drive that you copy
> GPX files to and from.

Yes, and the directory structure is much better than what the Vista HCx provided.

With it, I can put my OSM maps on the eTrex 30x and get my tracks off of it.
I'm happy.

Bye,
Kero.

--
If travel is searching
and home what's been found

Re: Garmin eTrex 30x

Robert Lipe-4
OK, the days of me listing every model are over. Yours is definitely a footnote 2 model. All the Garmin handhelds post 2006 or so that aren't respins are.

GPSBabel reads and writes GPX files from those models just fine, so yes it supports it. The realtime tracking mode (-T) just isn't offered by them any more.

Vista HCx was a respin that took the 60CSx into the Vista box. It really shows that mass storage mode was an afterthought that was added between 60CS and 60CSx.  The eTrex30's are of a different bloodline.