Garmin II + Serial to Keyspan USB Linux problem

Garmin II + Serial to Keyspan USB Linux problem

Lewis Pusey
Not sure if this is the list for this, if not my apologies.
I am trying to get a older garmin II+ with a data to serial to keyspan usb working
with my ubuntu trusty distro. Should I enable the garmin_usb in /dev? and what is the conflict with gpsd? Can the serial from the garmin be read over the usb adapter or ore two layers or conflicting protocols causing a conflict with reading from usb0 ?
Another problem is permissions are all root in /dev. I can get the keyspan to show up once in a while but I can't seem to probe the garmin and it is not seen. Currently i am blacklisting garmin_usb.

Not a gps pro so this is the best I can do at the moment.

Seems most fixes are for usb garmins and not serial to usb problems with older garmins, haveing said that the gps 2 + is a workhorse so there mus be some way to upload data from a linux system to it ; )

Thanks for any insights.

Lewis

Re: Garmin II + Serial to Keyspan USB Linux problem

Pierre Brial
Hi Lewis,

I use a serial GPS V with GPSBabel on linux (linux Mint), with a
USB-serial adapter, by simply declaring serial port as /dev/ttyUSB0
No need to activate any garmin driver or change the permissions for /dev

Regards

Pierre

On 30/06/2015 22:56, Lewis Pusey wrote:

> Not sure if this is the list for this, if not my apologies.
> I am trying to get a older garmin II+ with a data to serial to keyspan
> usb working
> with my ubuntu trusty distro. Should I enable the garmin_usb in /dev?
> and what is the conflict with gpsd? Can the serial from the garmin be
> read over the usb adapter or ore two layers or conflicting protocols
> causing a conflict with reading from usb0 ?
> Another problem is permissions are all root in /dev. I can get the
> keyspan to show up once in a while but I can't seem to probe the garmin
> and it is not seen. Currently i am blacklisting garmin_usb.
>
> Not a gps pro so this is the best I can do at the moment.
>
> Seems most fixes are for usb garmins and not serial to usb problems with
> older garmins, haveing said that the gps 2 + is a workhorse so there mus
> be some way to upload data from a linux system to it ; )
>
> Thanks for any insights.
>
> Lewis

> https://www.gigenetcloud.com/

Re: Garmin II + Serial to Keyspan USB Linux problem

Your questions are mostly Ubuntu questions, but we'll try to help.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Lewis Pusey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure if this is the list for this, if not my apologies.
I am trying to get a older garmin II+ with a data to serial to keyspan usb working
with my ubuntu trusty distro. Should I enable the garmin_usb in /dev? and what is the conflict with gpsd? Can the serial from the garmin be read over the usb adapter or ore two layers or conflicting protocols causing a conflict with reading from usb0 ?

The garmin_usb kernel module makes USB Garmins pretend to be serial ports; it would have no effect on a "real" serial Garmin.

Another problem is permissions are all root in /dev. I can get the keyspan to show up once in a while but I can't seem to probe the garmin and it is not seen. Currently i am blacklisting garmin_usb.

garmin_usb shouldn't factor into your work.    The Keyspan 19HS did, at one point, work with Linux - I used to use one - but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's fallen into decay.  Your adapter should show up as /dev/ttyUSB0 (or something similar) and GPSBabel should be able to talk to the device there.

I'd be surprised if gpsd was involved, but if it's talking to the serial port, we, of course, can't do so at the same time.

Not a gps pro so this is the best I can do at the moment.

The good news for you is that almost nothing here is actually a GPS issue - you'd have the same issues if you were trying to use your Keyspan with, say, a serial modem or a PalmPilot dock.

Seems most fixes are for usb garmins and not serial to usb problems with older garmins, haveing said that the gps 2 + is a workhorse so there mus be some way to upload data from a linux system to it ; )

Since most of the Garmins in the last 10+ years have been USB, that shouldn't be surprising. Though you didn't actually describe what you tried and what didn't work (which is probably best done in an Ubuntu group anyway...) I'd expect that combination to basically work

Thanks for any insights.

Lewis

Re: Garmin II + Serial to Keyspan USB Linux problem

Lewis Pusey
Thanks for the help, I tried so many thing I dont think I wanted to bore anyone, can't even remember them all.
I did make gpsd run by default at startup so I'll try and fix that. It also seems blacklisting garmin_usb was correct.