Quantcast

Garmin Edge 510: Bad field size in data message

Garmin Edge 510: Bad field size in data message

James Morris
Hi,

I was hoping to use gpsbabel to translate the fit files from my Edge 510
to GPX but I get the error message:

GPSBabel Version: 1.5.2
fit: header len=14
fit: protocol version=16
fit: profile version=1300
fit: fit_data.len=4141
fit: starting to read data with fit_data.len=4141
fit: Bad field size in data message

I've attached an example FIT file.

Cheers

James.

2015-03-14-11-38-03.fit (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Garmin Edge 510: Bad field size in data message

Robert Lipe-4
Garmin seems, once again, to have gotten "creative" with their fit implementation.

In fit_read_field(), we're seeing int8 and int16 reads with 4-byte field sizes which is kinda goofy, but not terribly difficult to cope with.  I've just committed that as r4981.  Please update and see if that works for you. If so, I'd like to add this file to our test suite.  It looks like a jog (faster than my walk, slower than my bike rides) taken on March 14, which was the day you sent this so it doesn't seem flagrantly wrong.

RJL