GPSBable 1.5.3 crashing immediately upon opening

GPSBable 1.5.3 crashing immediately upon opening

YoungLoudAndScotty
Well, being as it was two weeks ago that I sent out a request for help, and haven't received any response, I will try again.

My name is Scott. I was successfully running version 1.5.2 of GPSBabel on my mid 2011 Macbook Air, OSX 10.7, for a month before upgrading to 1.5.3 very recently. After I downloaded the newest version and attempted to open it a window popped up saying that "GPSBabelFE  quit unexpectedly." I will upload a screenshot. Clicking "Reopen" does nothing: the window closes and immediately reopens with the same message. This is very strange because to all appearances the program never actually opened (although, I suppose something happened to cause it to crash)

This is an important program for me because without it my .fit files that I convert to .gpx files for my bicycle touring website are useless. I would be thrilled if someone could help me out here. A copy of the previous version, 1.5.2 would be nice, since that version of the software actually worked. Or if this has been an observed issue at some point in the past maybe some pointers could be given?

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Sent from ProtonMail, encrypted email based in Switzerland.

Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 9.58.42 PM.png (70K) Download Attachment

Re: GPSBable 1.5.3 crashing immediately upon opening

Gary Turner-6
I'm far from an expert, but I suspect it may help the developers if you showed the results of the 'report' button.
(but not send it to apple)

On 1/03/2016 4:08 p.m., YoungLoudAndScotty wrote:
[...]

Greg-110
I’ll give standard OSX advice here. Delete the preferences file. You can save it somewhere else if it doesn’t change anything you can put it back if you want.

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/org.gpsbabel.GPSBabel.plist

This hasn’t been as important in the last few years, but it used to cure this type of problem from time to time.

Greg

On Feb 29, 2016, at 9:58 PM, Gary Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Robert Lipe-4
It's likely that you got no responses because your protonmail configuration has a badly configured TLS which results in your message going straight to everyone's spam. I saw the responses above, but had to find the original in spam. I see your first message there, too.

We do have one other user ("Doug's Family") that's recently reported very similar symptoms a few weeks ago. He was on a nearly ten year old Mac, so I thought that might have been the key, but apparently not. "Trouble installing GPSBabel on a late 2006 iMac".  That's 2 of 4,000 downloads that are affected and I can't say I have a handle on why you two are special.

I'm working on a new version that'll include a newer Qt and new packaging. That'll at least let me generate a debug version so we can get a sensible stack trace for  your crash. I'll contact the two of you when it's ready for private testing.

RJL

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Fwd: Fw: Re: GPSBable 1.5.3 crashing immediately upon opening

Scott Harris
Hi again. So, I have this other email address, and being as the one I was previously using was not cooperating with everyone else's email I thought I would just use this. Anyway, I did reply to the "thread" that I started and thought that it might be smart of me to forward that response here. Thanks for your time and responses everyone.

-Scott

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Well, I'll take Gary's advice and paste the content of the report file here. I tried deleting the preferences file as Greg suggested, but no dice. Very interesting that I was only the second of 4k downloads to have this issue. Anyway, here's the report:

"Process:         launchd [4317]
Identifier:      com.yourcompany.GPSBabelFE
Version:         ??? (???)
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [118]

Date/Time:       2016-03-04 22:04:07.115 -0500
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Report Version:  9

Interval Since Last Report:          574878 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           36
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   36
Anonymous UUID:                      54A10F3C-4ED6-42CA-8EF3-25098811447B

Crashed Thread:  Unknown

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007fff5fc01028

Backtrace not available

Unknown thread crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
  rax: 0x0000000000000055  rbx: 0x0000000000000000  rcx: 0x0000000000000000  rdx: 0x0000000000000000
  rdi: 0x0000000000000000  rsi: 0x0000000000000000  rbp: 0x0000000000000000  rsp: 0x0000000000000000
   r8: 0x0000000000000000   r9: 0x0000000000000000  r10: 0x0000000000000000  r11: 0x0000000000000000
  r12: 0x0000000000000000  r13: 0x0000000000000000  r14: 0x0000000000000000  r15: 0x0000000000000000
  rip: 0x00007fff5fc01028  rfl: 0x0000000000010203  cr2: 0x00007fff5fc01028
Logical CPU: 2

Binary images description not available

External Modification Summary:
  Calls made by other processes targeting this process:
    task_for_pid: 1
    thread_create: 0
    thread_set_state: 0
  Calls made by this process:
    task_for_pid: 0
    thread_create: 0
    thread_set_state: 0
  Calls made by all processes on this machine:
    task_for_pid: 9456
    thread_create: 1
    thread_set_state: 0

Model: MacBookAir4,2, BootROM MBA41.0077.B0F, 2 processors, Intel Core i7, 1.8 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.73f66
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Built-In, 384 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 2 GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D54333235533642465238432D48392020
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 2 GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x484D54333235533642465238432D48392020
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0xE9), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.198.19.22)
Bluetooth: Version 4.0.8f17, 2 service, 11 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SM256C, 251 GB
USB Device: FaceTime Camera (Built-in), apple_vendor_id, 0x850a, 0xfa200000 / 3
USB Device: hub_device, 0x0424  (SMSC), 0x2513, 0xfa100000 / 2
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, apple_vendor_id, 0x024c, 0xfa120000 / 5
USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub, 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0xfa110000 / 4
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, apple_vendor_id, 0x821f, 0xfa113000 / 7
USB Device: hub_device, 0x0424  (SMSC), 0x2513, 0xfd100000 / 2
USB Device: Internal Memory Card Reader, apple_vendor_id, 0x8404, 0xfd110000 / 3"