GPSBabel 1.5.0 beta available NOW!

Robert Lipe-2
We've fought a lot of hard battles to get here, but the freshest GPSBabel beta is now available.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/news/gpsbabel-1.5.0.html

Please do check it out to be sure that all the fixes we've promised actually fix the issues you've reported, that all the changes you've sent in actually landed, that the doc matches reality, and so on.

This is a substantial rewrite of the GPSBabel core, so while we've placed a lot of attention on code quality http://www.gpsbabel.org/quality.html , I have no doubt that we've implemented some new bugs in the process to, so we'd appreciate your help shaking it down.  We welcome feedback on the lists.

It's actually been available for several days (it's dated Feb 14) and nobody has complained about it, so it must not be too terrible. :-)

Re: GPSBabel 1.5.0 beta available NOW!

Greg-110
Opening on a Mac with Mavericks.
Also like to see the version number in the Finder.

Thanks for continuous improvements.

Greg

http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=126839071&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk_______________________________________________

Re: GPSBabel 1.5.0 beta available NOW!

Robert Lipe-2
Hmm.  Did 1.4.4 work on Mavericks?  (It must have or they'd have been after me with torches...OS/X users upgrade QUICKLY.)

I just pulled the dmg to my Mountain Lion system and it works.

So let's figure out if if the key variable is something changing in Qt (quite possible - there is some gnarly Mac-specific code involved in finding the GPSBabel executable in our app bundle - that hasn't changed in years, but I did bump Qt from 4.8 to 5.2 at the very last minutes of this build) or if there's something new in Mavericks or if somehow, your system is "special", such as case sensitive filenames or remotely mounted AFS volumes or whatever.

The version number is in the name of the dmg.  I'm not sure I want it in the app name.  In Finder, if you right click->show packge contents, do you see a Contents/MacOS/gpsbabel that is a "UNIX executable"?  If you open it, do you see a Terminal that vomits out a help message starting something like:

...gpsbabel ; exit;
GPSBabel Version 1.5.0-beta20140214.  http://www.gpsbabel.org

Usage:
    .../gpsbabel [options] -i INTYPE -f INFILE [filter] -o OUTTYPE -F OUTFILE
   .../gpsbabel [options] -i INTYPE -o OUTTYPE INFILE [filter] OUTFILE

It's worth saying that while I've spent the last 7 years sitting on front of 1-3 Macs, I don't actually consider myself a "Mac Guy" - I'm a UNIX guy that uses Macs.  So if you can be precise in the parlance of what you're looking for, that'd be helpful as we may use different terms for the same thing.

I recall years ago that you were unhappy about the button ordering.  That was actually one of the changes I made on the day I cut that master; dismissive actions are on the left and the cartoony icons are now gone.

Re: GPSBabel 1.5.0 beta available NOW!

Agustin Diez Castillo

On Feb 24, 2014, at 6:24 AM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hmm.  Did 1.4.4 work on Mavericks?  (It must have or they'd have been after me with torches...OS/X users upgrade QUICKLY.)

It does.
I just pulled the dmg to my Mountain Lion system and it works.

<Screen Shot 2014-02-23 at 11.08.37 PM.png>

So let's figure out if if the key variable is something changing in Qt (quite possible - there is some gnarly Mac-specific code involved in finding the GPSBabel executable in our app bundle - that hasn't changed in years, but I did bump Qt from 4.8 to 5.2 at the very last minutes of this build) or if there's something new in Mavericks or if somehow, your system is "special", such as case sensitive filenames or remotely mounted AFS volumes or whatever.
May this can give you some clue, the executable GPSBabelFE seems to be calling version 4
@executable_path/../Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/4/QtWebKi

The version number is in the name of the dmg.  I'm not sure I want it in the app name.  In Finder, if you right click->show packge contents, do you see a Contents/MacOS/gpsbabel that is a "UNIX executable"?  If you open it, do you see a Terminal that vomits out a help message starting something like:

...gpsbabel ; exit;
GPSBabel Version 1.5.0-beta20140214.  http://www.gpsbabel.org

Usage:
    .../gpsbabel [options] -i INTYPE -f INFILE [filter] -o OUTTYPE -F OUTFILE
   .../gpsbabel [options] -i INTYPE -o OUTTYPE INFILE [filter] OUTFILE

Not in the beta it gently drops

dyld: Library not loaded: QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore
  Referenced from: /Volumes/GPSBabelFE/GPSBabelFE.app/Contents/MacOS/gpsbabel
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

By the way I don't have any Qt* framework in Mavericks /Library/Frameworks
Doing a symbolic link to an older QtCore in other system did NOT works, as one could expect

dyld: Library not loaded: QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore
  Referenced from: /Volumes/GPSBabelFE/GPSBabelFE.app/Contents/MacOS/gpsbabel
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
/Library/Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
Trace/BPT trap: 5

It's worth saying that while I've spent the last 7 years sitting on front of 1-3 Macs, I don't actually consider myself a "Mac Guy" - I'm a UNIX guy that uses Macs.  So if you can be precise in the parlance of what you're looking for, that'd be helpful as we may use different terms for the same thing.

I recall years ago that you were unhappy about the button ordering.  That was actually one of the changes I made on the day I cut that master; dismissive actions are on the left and the cartoony icons are now gone.

Re: GPSBabel 1.5.0 beta available NOW!

bughunter
I will download this new version and run some checks to see that it works for my (very limited) requirements, but my initial visit was to the Beta documentation, to see whether my suggestion from last September had been implemented - it had not.

To remind you, it referred to one particular Format page, that for the Tracklogs Format, and it read (in part) as follows -

I would respectfully suggest that a note be put in future editions of the documentation of GPSBabel, in the format section for Tracklogs digital mapping (.trl) (dmtlog) to assist users. Something along the lines of -

"Users should note that this format orders waypoints in reverse order within the file. If direction of travel is important to you, consider using the Reverse filter to retain waypoint order."

Of course, I don't know how many other Formats order waypoints in reverse order, so I cannot appreciate whether making this change for one Format alone would create an anomaly.

Regards

Stephen Ridge

Re: GPSBabel 1.5.0 beta available NOW!

stantstk@pacbell.net
Sorry — a little late in responding but I too have the same problem originally posted by Greg.

Running on a MacBook Pro under Mavericks 10.9.2 I get the same error, same dialog box as below. Version 1.4.4 still runs fine, though.

I haven’t seen any new betas posted, so I’m assuming it’s still in the process of being debugged?

Stan

On Feb 23, 2014, at 8:58 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:

<PastedGraphic-1.png>Opening on a Mac with Mavericks.
[...]

Mac fix is in hand, but I'm waiting until I find and fix the issue with Windows (hopefully tomorrow...) before publishing them both.

Releasing them independently is more difficult than I'd like...
On Sat Mar 01 2014 at 7:10:01 PM, Stan Glaser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry — a little late in responding but I too have the same problem originally posted by Greg.

Running on a MacBook Pro under Mavericks 10.9.2 I get the same error, same dialog box as below. Version 1.4.4 still runs fine, though.

I haven’t seen any new betas posted, so I’m assuming it’s still in the process of being debugged?

Stan

On Feb 23, 2014, at 8:58 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <PastedGraphic-1.png>Opening on a Mac with Mavericks.
> Also like to see the version number in the Finder.
>
> Thanks for continuous improvements.
>
> Greg
>
> On Feb 23, 2014, at 7:28 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We've fought a lot of hard battles to get here, but the freshest GPSBabel beta is now available.
>>
>> http://www.gpsbabel.org/news/gpsbabel-1.5.0.html
>>
>> Please do check it out to be sure that all the fixes we've promised actually fix the issues you've reported, that all the changes you've sent in actually landed, that the doc matches reality, and so on.
>>
>> This is a substantial rewrite of the GPSBabel core, so while we've placed a lot of attention on code quality http://www.gpsbabel.org/quality.html , I have no doubt that we've implemented some new bugs in the process to, so we'd appreciate your help shaking it down.  We welcome feedback on the lists.
>>
>> It's actually been available for several days (it's dated Feb 14) and nobody has complained about it, so it must not be too terrible. :-) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Flow-based real-time traffic analytics software. Cisco certified tool.
>> Monitor traffic, SLAs, QoS, Medianet, WAAS etc. with NetFlow Analyzer
>> Customize your own dashboards, set traffic alerts and generate reports.
>> Network behavioral analysis & security monitoring. All-in-one tool.
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=126839071&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk_______________________________________________
>> [hidden email]
>> To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:

Re: GPSBabel 1.5.0 beta available NOW!

stantstk@pacbell.net
Thanks for the update, Robert :-)

On Mar 1, 2014, at 5:41 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mac fix is in hand, but I'm waiting until I find and fix the issue with Windows (hopefully tomorrow...) before publishing them both.

Releasing them independently is more difficult than I'd like...
On Sat Mar 01 2014 at 7:10:01 PM, Stan Glaser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry — a little late in responding but I too have the same problem originally posted by Greg.

Running on a MacBook Pro under Mavericks 10.9.2 I get the same error, same dialog box as below. Version 1.4.4 still runs fine, though.

I haven’t seen any new betas posted, so I’m assuming it’s still in the process of being debugged?

Stan

On Feb 23, 2014, at 8:58 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <PastedGraphic-1.png>Opening on a Mac with Mavericks.
> Also like to see the version number in the Finder.
>
> Thanks for continuous improvements.
>
> Greg
>
> On Feb 23, 2014, at 7:28 PM, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We've fought a lot of hard battles to get here, but the freshest GPSBabel beta is now available.
>>
>> http://www.gpsbabel.org/news/gpsbabel-1.5.0.html
>>
>> Please do check it out to be sure that all the fixes we've promised actually fix the issues you've reported, that all the changes you've sent in actually landed, that the doc matches reality, and so on.
>>
>> This is a substantial rewrite of the GPSBabel core, so while we've placed a lot of attention on code quality http://www.gpsbabel.org/quality.html , I have no doubt that we've implemented some new bugs in the process to, so we'd appreciate your help shaking it down.  We welcome feedback on the lists.
>>
>> It's actually been available for several days (it's dated Feb 14) and nobody has complained about it, so it must not be too terrible. :-) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Flow-based real-time traffic analytics software. Cisco certified tool.
>> Monitor traffic, SLAs, QoS, Medianet, WAAS etc. with NetFlow Analyzer
>> Customize your own dashboards, set traffic alerts and generate reports.
>> Network behavioral analysis & security monitoring. All-in-one tool.
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=126839071&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk_______________________________________________
>> [hidden email]
>> To unsubscribe, change list options, or see archives, visit:

Sorry — a little late in responding but I too have the same problem originally posted by Greg.

Running on a MacBook Pro under Mavericks 10.9.2 I get the same error, same dialog box as below. Version 1.4.4 still runs fine, though.

I haven’t seen any new betas posted, so I’m assuming it’s still in the process of being debugged?

Stan

<PastedGraphic-1.png>