GPS Babel crashes

Peter Shepheard
The truth is that I have always taken the easy way out and used the input screens.  I have absolutely no idea how to even start using the command line version.  I did try copying your text into terminal    /Applications/GPSBabelFE 2.app/Contents/MacOS/ gpsbabel -w -r -t -i gpx -f 2014-07-23-Black-Water.gpx -x simplify,count=500 -o gpx -F output.gpx

but it  returns the message  -bash: /Applications/GPSBabelFE: No such file or directory
Peter-Shepheards-iMac:~ Peter$

I definitely do have an application GPSBabelFE 2

Peter

Re: GPS Babel crashes

Peter Shepheard
I have deleted the preference files as suggested by Greg.  Trashed the app.  Reinstalled and still it has crashed.

This means I also changed the folder so it is now GPSBableFE.app
I therefore amended your line Steve to:
/Applications/GPSBabelFE.app/Contents/MacOS/gpsbabel" -w -r -t -i gpx -f 2014-07-23-Black-Water.gpx -x simplify,count=500 -o gpx -F output.gpx

I copied this into Terminal and I get

~ Peter$ /Applications/GPSBabelFE.app/Contents/MacOS/gpsbabel" -w -r -t -i gpx -f 2014-07-23-Black-Water.gpx -x simplify,count=500 -o gpx -F output.gpx

Nothing else.

I cannot understand why this is working on the Macbook Pro running the same version of Yosemite but just refuses to run on the iMac.
Sometimes these machines are deeply frustrating!

Peter

On 5 Apr 2015, at 19:54, tsteven4 <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I cannot see any output file.  I also tried searching my hard drive but could find no trace of sny output.gpx file

~ Peter$ “/Applications/GPSBabelFE.app/Contents/MacOS/gpsbabel" -w -r -t -i gpx -f 2014-07-23-Black-Water.gpx -x simplify,count=500 -o gpx -F output.gpx
> is

On 5 Apr 2015, at 20:18, tsteven4 <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think it worked.
In the terminal window can you type
ls
and see if there is a file output.gpx?

On 4/5/2015 1:15 PM, Peter Shepheard wrote:
[...]

I copied the Blackwater file to my User/Peter directory but this returned a permission denied message.  I’m lost.

Peter-Shepheards-iMac:~ Peter$ /Users/Peter/Geotagging\ GPX\ files/Peter/2014-07-23-Black-Water.gpx
-bash: /Users/Peter/Geotagging GPX files/Peter/2014-07-23-Black-Water.gpx: Permission denied
Peter-Shepheards-iMac:~ Peter$

On 5 Apr 2015, at 22:19, tsteven4 <[hidden email]> wrote:

The list directory contents command is ls, not is.   2014-07-23-Black_Water.gpx needs to exist in the present working directory of your terminal, or you need to give a full path to that file.  If the input file isn't found it should print an error message.
localhost:/Users/tsteven4% pwd
/Users/tsteven4
localhost:/Users/tsteven4% ls *gpx
2014-07-23-Black-Water.gpx
localhost:/Users/tsteven4% /Applications/GPSBabelFE.app/Contents/MacOS/gpsbabel -w -r -t -i gpx -f 2014-07-23-Black-Water.gpx -x simplify,count=500 -o gpx -F output.gpx
localhost:/Users/tsteven4% ls *gpx
2014-07-23-Black-Water.gpx    output.gpx