GPS Babel Crashes

Peter Shepheard
I have just installed GPSBabel on an old Macbook that I have and this works perfectly withmy latest file so something must have happened to the set up on my iMac.  Sorry to have wasted peoples’ time.  I guess I will trash the version on the iMac and try re-installing.  This has not happened to me before and I really do not know why the problem has arisen.

Peter

Re: GPS Babel Crashes

Peter Shepheard
Well I tried uninstalling and re-installing on my iMac and it has made no difference it still crashes exactly as before.

There is one significant difference and that is that my old Macbook is running 10.9.5 and my iMac is running 10.10.2.

I am going to try on a Macbook Pro running 10.10.2 and see what happens on that.

----------------

The Macbook Pro with 10.10.2 also works perfectly so something has obviously gone awry with my iMac.

Can anyone please suggest any reason why this may have suddenly started throwing up a problem with GPSBabel?  So far I have not had any problems with other applications.

Peter

> On 5 Apr 2015, at 17:53, Peter Shepheard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have just installed GPSBabel on an old Macbook that I have and this works perfectly withmy latest file so something must have happened to the set up on my iMac.  Sorry to have wasted peoples’ time.  I guess I will trash the version on the iMac and try re-installing.  This has not happened to me before and I really do not know why the problem has arisen.
>
> Peter

Re: GPS Babel Crashes

Peter Shepheard
That’s interesting Philippe.  Where can I get hold of the dmg for the older version?
Anything seems worth a try.

Peter

> On 5 Apr 2015, at 19:23, Philippe Lemaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Peter Shepheard wrote:
>> Well I tried uninstalling and re-installing on my iMac and it has
>> made no difference it still crashes exactly as before.
>>
>> There is one significant difference and that is that my old Macbook
>> is running 10.9.5 and my iMac is running 10.10.2.
>>
>> I am going to try on a Macbook Pro running 10.10.2 and see what
>> happens on that.
>>
>> ----------------
>>
>> The Macbook Pro with 10.10.2 also works perfectly so something has
>> obviously gone awry with my iMac.
>>
>> Can anyone please suggest any reason why this may have suddenly
>> started throwing up a problem with GPSBabel?  So far I have not had
>> any problems with other applications.
>>
>> Peter
>>

>>> On 5 Apr 2015, at 17:53, Peter Shepheard <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just installed GPSBabel on an old Macbook that I have and
>>> this works perfectly withmy latest file so something must have
>>> happened to the set up on my iMac.  Sorry to have wasted peoples’
>>> time.  I guess I will trash the version on the iMac and try
>>> re-installing.  This has not happened to me before and I really do
>>> not know why the problem has arisen.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
>>> sponsored
>>> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your
>>> hub for all
>>> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership
>>> blogs to
>>> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join
>>> the
>>> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
>
> Hello,
>
> I had some problems with version 1.52...
> Going back to 1.4.2 solved the problem !
>
> Problem were GUI window not appearing and/or conversions ending from the start or before the end...
>
> Philippe who forgot all the tries he made

Re: GPS Babel Crashes

Robert Lipe-4
I tried your test case on 10.8.5 and 10.10.2; no crash.  We don't have widespread reports of this.  Something is special about your system.

As a last ditch effort, try removing ~/Library/Preferences/org.gpsbabel.GPSBabel.plist and, if you have it, ~/Library/Preferences/com.qtproject.plist

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Peter Shepheard <[hidden email]> wrote:
That’s interesting Philippe.  Where can I get hold of the dmg for the older version?
Anything seems worth a try.

Peter
> On 5 Apr 2015, at 19:23, Philippe Lemaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Peter Shepheard wrote:
>> Well I tried uninstalling and re-installing on my iMac and it has
>> made no difference it still crashes exactly as before.
>>
>> There is one significant difference and that is that my old Macbook
>> is running 10.9.5 and my iMac is running 10.10.2.
>>
>> I am going to try on a Macbook Pro running 10.10.2 and see what
>> happens on that.
>>
>> ----------------
>>
>> The Macbook Pro with 10.10.2 also works perfectly so something has
>> obviously gone awry with my iMac.
>>
>> Can anyone please suggest any reason why this may have suddenly
>> started throwing up a problem with GPSBabel?  So far I have not had
>> any problems with other applications.
>>
>> Peter
>>

>>> On 5 Apr 2015, at 17:53, Peter Shepheard <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just installed GPSBabel on an old Macbook that I have and
>>> this works perfectly withmy latest file so something must have
>>> happened to the set up on my iMac.  Sorry to have wasted peoples’
>>> time.  I guess I will trash the version on the iMac and try
>>> re-installing.  This has not happened to me before and I really do
>>> not know why the problem has arisen.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
>>> sponsored
>>> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your
>>> hub for all
>>> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership
>>> blogs to
>>> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join
>>> the
>>> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
>
> Hello,
>
> I had some problems with version 1.52...
> Going back to 1.4.2 solved the problem !
>
> Problem were GUI window not appearing and/or conversions ending from the start or before the end...
>
> Philippe who forgot all the tries he made

Re: GPS Babel Crashes

Peter Shepheard
Thanks for all the comments on this problem.  I am aware that the problem is something strange to do with my system as I have managed to carry out the same process on the same files successfully on two other Macs.  This is a full account of my latest atempt to solve it.

I moved GPSBabel to the trash.  I then also moved these files to the trash to try to make sure there was nothing left.
com.qtproject.plist
com.yourcompany.GPSBabelIFE.plist
com.yourcompany.GPSBabelIFE.plist.lockfile
org.gpsbabel.GPSBabel.plist
org.gpsbabel.GPSBabel.plist.lockfile

com.qtproject 09.47.25.plist   (I was not aware that I trashed this file and hope it was not a mistake.)

I restarted.  Re-installed and then opened GPSBabel again.

I changed the file format from Alan Map 500 to GPS XML in both Input and Output fields.

I went into Filters and un-ticked Tracks, Waypoints, Miscellaneous.

I clicked on Routes & Tracks and then ticked Simplify.  I set the limit to 600 Points clicked OK and the program crashed again.  I had NOT selected an input or output file at this time.  I have tried this with a file selected as well but it makes no difference.

Here is a copy of the crash log

On 7 Apr 2015, at 04:10, Robert Lipe <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tried your test case on 10.8.5 and 10.10.2; no crash.  We don't have widespread reports of this.  Something is special about your system.

As a last ditch effort, try removing ~/Library/Preferences/org.gpsbabel.GPSBabel.plist and, if you have it, ~/Library/Preferences/com.qtproject.plist

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Peter Shepheard <[hidden email]> wrote:
That’s interesting Philippe.  Where can I get hold of the dmg for the older version?
Anything seems worth a try.

Peter
> On 5 Apr 2015, at 19:23, Philippe Lemaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Peter Shepheard wrote:
>> Well I tried uninstalling and re-installing on my iMac and it has
>> made no difference it still crashes exactly as before.
>>
>> There is one significant difference and that is that my old Macbook
>> is running 10.9.5 and my iMac is running 10.10.2.
>>
>> I am going to try on a Macbook Pro running 10.10.2 and see what
>> happens on that.
>>
>> ----------------
>>
>> The Macbook Pro with 10.10.2 also works perfectly so something has
>> obviously gone awry with my iMac.
>>
>> Can anyone please suggest any reason why this may have suddenly
>> started throwing up a problem with GPSBabel?  So far I have not had
>> any problems with other applications.
>>
>> Peter
>>

>>> On 5 Apr 2015, at 17:53, Peter Shepheard <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just installed GPSBabel on an old Macbook that I have and
>>> this works perfectly withmy latest file so something must have
>>> happened to the set up on my iMac.  Sorry to have wasted peoples’
>>> time.  I guess I will trash the version on the iMac and try
>>> re-installing.  This has not happened to me before and I really do
>>> not know why the problem has arisen.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
>>> sponsored
>>> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your
>>> hub for all
>>> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership
>>> blogs to
>>> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join
>>> the
>>> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
>
> Hello,
>
> I had some problems with version 1.52...
> Going back to 1.4.2 solved the problem !
>
> Problem were GUI window not appearing and/or conversions ending from the start or before the end...
>
> Philippe who forgot all the tries he made

Babel crash 7-4-15.rtf (67K) Download Attachment