Fwd: Re: Error message help

tsteven4-2
Ross,

It sounds like something is wrong but I don't have experience with downloading data from a device.  Maybe someone on the list can help.

Re: Fwd: Re: Error message help

Ross Pritchard
Ok, thanks for your time Steve, it was much appreciated.

On 20 Jul 2014, at 16:43, tsteven4 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ross,

It sounds like something is wrong but I don't have experience with downloading data from a device.  Maybe someone on the list can help.

Steve eventually the computer went to sleep but this is the error message I got,

gpsbabel -t -i mtk,csv= -f /dev/cu.usbmodemfa140 -x track,speed,start=20131126050000,stop=20140726073059,title=ACTIVE LOG #%Y%m%d -o gpx -F /Users/michelleandross/Desktop/GPSDATA/GPSBabelFE.gpx -o gpx -F /var/folders/7w/kyjjxgh57jb0vm8lntqkjskr0000gn/T/GPSBabel.JL5538
mtk_logger: Write error (-3)
rc = -1, errno = 5 (Input/output error)

Any clues?
Cheers
Ross

On 19 Jul 2014, at 3:23 pm, Ross Pritchard [hidden email] wrote:

> So Steve after 4 hours the I still have the pop up GUI indicating the process is occurring and this message:
>
> gpsbabel -t -i mtk -f /dev/cu.Qstarz818XT-SPPslave -o gpx -F /Users/michelleandross/Desktop/GPSDATA/GPSBabelFE.gpx -o gpx -F /var/folders/7w/kyjjxgh57jb0vm8lntqkjskr0000gn/T/GPSBabel.JL4751
>

> I am guessing that something is not happening as it should, or is the download really slow?
>
> cheers
> Ross
>

> On 19 Jul 2014, at 11:08 am, Ross Pritchard [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> OK Steve, I am trying not to get excited, but at the moment everything seems to be ok - a .bin file has been created and the logger is hopefully downloading...
>> I will let you know: fingers crossed :-)
>>

>> On 19 Jul 2014, at 10:39 am, tsteven4 [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Click on the gpsbabel 1.5.1 dmg, when it opens drag the GPSBabelFE icon to your desktop.  If it works let us know.  thanks.

Re: Fwd: Re: Error message help

Robert Lipe-4
Hi, and Welcome.

Steve was (as usual) correct that we were creating a temp file in a place we shouldn't have been.  I've just fixed that in the development  version so it'll be in the next version we release.  Implicitly, this tells us that nobody has used the MediaTek based units with the GUI, uuuh, ever.

I dug into the BT818Xt a little bit, and I don't think this GPS is a logger at all, so it doesn't store anything for us to download.  If I look at http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q818X-S.htm we see it's in the class they call "Bluetooth Receiver", making it the BT version of the class of devices that, when wired, were know as "GPS Mice" or "pucks".  If that's the case, it stores nothing and just reports position to a listener (laptop, marine navigation, remote on your quadcopter, etc.) at some fixed rate.  Compare that to the devices they call "GPS Travel Recorders" like http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q1000XT-F.htm and you'll see discussion of "memory capacity" logging hundreds of thousands of points and such.

In Semson's parlance (my "go to" place for receivers of this class) it's of the "Bluetooth GPS" class (which really make sense for us only in NMEA/realtime tracking mode which, in modern times, is not really that useful...) and not "Data Loggers"  http://www.semsons.com/gpshardware.html

In short, based on the info I can find about this device, I don't think the BT818Xt has any data on it that makes any sense for us to transfer or convert.  I don't think you're going to get GPX data out of it, because I don' t think it stores anything.

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 4:56 AM, Ross Pritchard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> gpsbabel -t -i mtk -f /dev/cu.Qstarz818XT-SPPslave -o gpx -F /Users/michelleandross/Desktop/GPSDATA/GPSBabelFE.gpx -o gpx -F /var/folders/7w/kyjjxgh57jb0vm8lntqkjskr0000gn/T/GPSBabel.JL4751
>

> I am guessing that something is not happening as it should, or is the download really slow?
>
> cheers
> Ross
>

> On 19 Jul 2014, at 11:08 am, Ross Pritchard [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> OK Steve, I am trying not to get excited, but at the moment everything seems to be ok - a .bin file has been created and the logger is hopefully downloading...
>> I will let you know: fingers crossed :-)
>>

>> On 19 Jul 2014, at 10:39 am, tsteven4 [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Click on the gpsbabel 1.5.1 dmg, when it opens drag the GPSBabelFE icon to your desktop.  If it works let us know.  thanks.

Re: Fwd: Re: Error message help

Robert Lipe-4

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Ross Pritchard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well that's the mystery solved and I feel like a bit of a clown! I am very sorry for wasting everyone's time with this but very relieved that there is a solution, albeit not the one I was expecting. I am a bit surprised the distributor did not know why I could not get data from the device: so much for " know your product" . So red faces all round and once again thank you Robert.

You're welcome.  We deserve a bit of egg on our face (which will be removed in the next version) about writing a temp file in a dumb place - it's even called out in our doc "Downloaded data will be stored..." at https://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.5.1/fmt_mtk.html and we just didn't think that issue through enough for the GUI case.  We made it better for the next one to try.

The "know your product" thing is a big problem in the low end of the market.  Semsons really is the only company I've found that seems to _really_ understand this corner of the market.  They're where I buy this class of devices for the "babelab" and have had a number of really nerdy conversations with them through the years.  You're just not going to get that from Amazon, REI, or some Ebay seller.

The reality is that the puck/logger market is in a race to the bottom.  There are really only a couple of companies that make the actual business end of the product.  This is how we end up with GPSBabel modules for chips (Meditek is but one) instead of products.  Companies, invariably Asian and competing largely on price, "innovate" by creating plastic cases and buttons and battery configurations.  Sometimes they'll provide some kind of Windows software. (It's usually terrible.)  Sometimes they'll have enough engineering prowess on staff to "add value" to the product by changing the chip maker's protocol in incompatible ways.  (Holux, for example, runs the serial speed at 1/3 Mediatk's and logs altitude in centimeters instead of meters....)  This is how you end up with a flood of < $50USD devices (sometimes even < $25!) devices that seem to look the same, but don't exactly have a worldwide support network.  (Do you think it's coincidence that so many of these look alike?)  It's not like importers of these things commonly know much about them; they can't afford to.  Even if they had an awesome relationship with the "maker" of the devices, it's probably the case that even they don't know much about it; they took a reference design and repackaged it.  You're almost just buying from resellers of nearly raw chips.

When a worldwide company that actually has engineers, developers, and a distribution/support network comes to this market, they have to do it at 3-8 times what you see in the importer markets.   There's better money in devices with screens and keyboards, so it makes sense for them to fiercely protect that end of their market (which is why a decent Geocaching GPS still costs more than a good smartphone, while being immune from the price erosion and rapid technology advances that the mobile computing market sees) while the low end is just left to slug it out from cheap commodity products.

Interestingly, these same market dynamics are what make GPS projects so common on the Kickstarter/IndieGogo style sites.  The "hard" part of GPS is totally commodity at this point.  Getting funding to lay them down on a funny shaped circuit board or hook them to a quadcopter or a dog collar or some other manufacturing effort really is within reach of a single person company - but THOSE companies probably actually do know something about the products they're selling because you're more likely to actually talk to the guy that read the data sheet.  (In probably a third of the videos and pictures on those products, I can tell they're using GPSBabel...)

That concludes the Armchair Product Manager edition of Fireside GPSBabel Chat.