FW: Problems converting KML to gpx or other formats

FW: Problems converting KML to gpx or other formats

Alain Berger - PALM

Hi all,

I am using GPSBabel 1.2.5 to convert .kml files to other formats such as .gpx or .pcx or even .csv

It seems Babel is NOT even extracting waypoint data from a perfectly saved .kml waypoint I am using for testing. I have repeatedly tried on my dell 4500, win xp sp2 home with google earth plus, but it simply will not convert. I have plenty of waypoints to use on my GPS and was hoping GPS Babel would REALLY convert kml files to other formats so I could import them to Mapsource and then my GPS.  And I have isolated the problem:  any output file by Babel is EMPTY.  No coordinates.  Only lines and certain elements of the different GPS formats, but no waypoint coordinates.

Any ideas on how to solve this, or when it will be solved by another version?

Thanks

AB

Re: FW: Problems converting KML to gpx or other formats

Andrew Kirmse
KML import isn't fully implemented yet.  I will try to get it one day
(or someone else can take a crack at it using the KML documentation).

---Andrew

On 7/29/05, Alain Berger - PALM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I am using GPSBabel 1.2.5 to convert .kml files to other formats such as
> .gpx or .pcx or even .csv
>

> It seems Babel is NOT even extracting waypoint data from a perfectly saved
> .kml waypoint I am using for testing. I have repeatedly tried on my dell
> 4500, win xp sp2 home with google earth plus, but it simply will not
> convert. I have plenty of waypoints to use on my GPS and was hoping GPS
> Babel would REALLY convert kml files to other formats so I could import them
> to Mapsource and then my GPS.  And I have isolated the problem:  any output
> file by Babel is EMPTY.  No coordinates.  Only lines and certain elements of
> the different GPS formats, but no waypoint coordinates.
>

> Any ideas on how to solve this, or when it will be solved by another
> version?
>

> Thanks
>

> AB

Re: FW: Problems converting KML to gpx or other formats

>    It seems Babel is NOT even extracting waypoint data from a
>    perfectly saved .kml waypoint I am using for testing. I have
>    repeatedly tried on my dell 4500, win xp sp2 home with google earth

IIRC, KML changed a little between Keyhole and GE.  The full KML spec
is huge and _very_ expressive.  But we should be able to get basic
waypoints out.  I suspect our KML writer is more robust than our reader.

Send a sample file, please.