Error reading BT-Q100P when more than 50%

Error reading BT-Q100P when more than 50%

Stefan Munder
Hello all,

I've problems reading my BT-Q1000P (same chipset as BT-Q1000, but double
memory), when the log is filled about more than 50%. The log,
translated to csv, shows only aprox. 59 thousand log entries and seems
as it had stopped. The translation to gpx shows exactly the same
behaviour.

But using the original software for this QStarz device you can see that
there are over 80 thousand entries and room left for about 30 or 40
thousand more. (But usually I have no Win-System, so I use gpsbabel (V.
1.3.6) on my debian linux box.)

I receive the same (correct) behaviour using BT747 (V. 1.63.7,
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/bt747/>).

To be more funny, reading the device with mtkbabel I've got also errors,
which could be ignored by using the -i switch. But if I do so I get a
correct track. Sadly I'm loosing some informations eg if the point have
had a valid gps fix.

And if I try to translate the mtk-bin (either from BT747 or from
mtkbabel) with the command line

gpsbabel -i mtk-bin,csv=extra.csv -f basename.bin -o gpx -F basename.gpx

I receive the errors

7646: Bad CRC ff != 4f
15293: Bad CRC ff != 4f

and an empty basename.gpx. But: the extra.csv contains all trackpoints.

Because of the proper function with BT747 I think that there is no
electrical problem. It seems that there is a problem with the bigger
memory or better, the bigger log.

Anybody here who has the fix for the mtk filters? ;-)

Best regards
Stefan Munder

Re: Error reading BT-Q100P when more than 50%

P. Borgentun
Hi,
The MTK logger module were initially developed for the iBlue 747 with
2MByte memory. Since gpsbabel 1.3.6 the memory size should be handled
in the larger/newer models as well.

Could you please run the download with '-D 4' (I think that is detailed enough).

Regarding the mtk-bin decode problems without a .gpx file I don't
have any clue to why it would be empty. I would need more
debug info here as well..

Regards
/devlin

> I've problems reading my BT-Q1000P (same chipset as
> BT-Q1000, but double
> memory), when the log is filled about more than 50%. The
> log,
> translated to csv, shows only aprox. 59 thousand log
> entries and seems
> as it had stopped. The translation to gpx shows exactly the
> same
> behaviour.
>
> But using the original software for this QStarz device you
> can see that
> there are over 80 thousand entries and room left for about
> 30 or 40
> thousand more. (But usually I have no Win-System, so I use
> gpsbabel (V.
> 1.3.6) on my debian linux box.)
>
> I receive the same (correct) behaviour using BT747 (V.
> 1.63.7,
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/bt747/>).
>
> To be more funny, reading the device with mtkbabel I've
> got also errors,
> which could be ignored by using the -i switch. But if I do
> so I get a
> correct track. Sadly I'm loosing some informations eg
> if the point have
> had a valid gps fix.
>
> And if I try to translate the mtk-bin (either from BT747 or
> from
> mtkbabel) with the command line
>
> gpsbabel -i mtk-bin,csv=extra.csv -f basename.bin -o gpx -F
> basename.gpx
>
> I receive the errors
>
> 7646: Bad CRC ff != 4f
> 15293: Bad CRC ff != 4f
>
> and an empty basename.gpx. But: the extra.csv contains all
> trackpoints.
>
> Because of the proper function with BT747 I think that
> there is no
> electrical problem. It seems that there is a problem with
> the bigger
> memory or better, the bigger log.
>
> Anybody here who has the fix for the mtk filters? ;-)
>
> Best regards
> Stefan Munder

> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009,
> San Francisco, CA
> -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open
> Sourcing the Enterprise
> -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open
> source participation
> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the
> source code: SFAD
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

Re: Error reading BT-Q100P when more than 50%

kym_74
Hi,

I've been playing with my BT-Q1000P and a few more bits of information
that might help.

When the device is ~50% full or greater GPSBabel starts outputing CRC
errors eg.

107227: Bad CRC 00 != 01
Missing '*' !

And at 100% full device GPSBabel cannot read the bin file from the device
very well at all and was only able to get 64k of the 4mb file. And produced
a gpx file with no points.

What was interesting was the TravelRecorder V4 software that came with the
device couldn't read the full unit at all and said it was empty.

And the BT747 v 1.68.5 reported that the unit was 16% full but was able to
pull the whole 4mb bin file down, and it's gpx conversion software was able
to convert the bin file correctly.

GPSBabel when converting the bin file produced the following truncated -D 4 output:

GPSBabel Version: 1.3.6
Opening file BT747log_20090414.bin...
Default Bitmask 0002002a, Log every 0 sec, 0 m, 0 km/h
Using initial bitmask 0002002a for parsing the .bin file
Log item size 18 bytes
Log item size 18 bytes
Missing '*' !
 0: Bad CRC 43 != 2a
Missing '*' !
 1: Bad CRC d1 != 92
Missing '*' !

Jump 1842530 -> 1901056 / 0x1d0200  (fsize 4194304)   ---

Jump 4129280 -> 4194816 / 0x400200  (fsize 4194304)   ---
File parse complete !
Closing file...

And then produced an empty .gpx file.

Based on that strange bitmask "Default Bitmask 0002002a, Log every 0 sec, 0 m, 0 km/h"
I'm guessing the format of the bin file coming from the BT-Q1000P
logger is not quite the same or an offset has changed.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else I can do to help just ask. I still have the
GPSBabel produced bin and gpx files as well as the BT747 bin file as well.

Regards.

  kym.

John Doe-38 wrote