Error message help

Ross Pritchard
Hello everyone,

I have a Qstarz BT818xt .
When I connect it to GPS Babel I get this error message:

"gpsbabel -t -i mtk,erase=0,erase_only=0,log_enable=0,csv= -f /dev/cu.Qstarz818XT-SPPslave -o gpx,suppresswhite=0,logpoint=0,humminbirdextensions=0,garminextensions=0 -F /Users/michelleandross/Desktop/GPSDATA/qstarz.gpx
mtk_logger: Can't create temporary file data.bin
Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1'

Can anyone point me in the right direction as what to do next?

By way of additional info:
I use MacOSX mavericks. Using BT747.j2se_view    software I can connect to the logger using either bluetooth or usb, and upload AGPS files.However I cannot download any files.

Thankyou for any help.Regards
Ross

Re: Error message help

tsteven4-2
Ross,

Are you using the GUI?

In any event, gpsbabel is trying to create a temporary file and it
probably does not have permissions to write in that directory.  The
directory isn't specified so it is likely to be in the same directory
you are running the program from or the directory that gpsbabel is
installed in.

Steve

On 7/16/2014 11:53 PM, Ross Pritchard wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a Qstarz BT818xt .
> When I connect it to GPS Babel I get this error message:
>
> "gpsbabel -t -i mtk,erase=0,erase_only=0,log_enable=0,csv= -f /dev/cu.Qstarz818XT-SPPslave -o gpx,suppresswhite=0,logpoint=0,humminbirdextensions=0,garminextensions=0 -F /Users/michelleandross/Desktop/GPSDATA/qstarz.gpx
> mtk_logger: Can't create temporary file data.bin
> Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1'
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction as what to do next?
>
> By way of additional info:
> I use MacOSX mavericks. Using BT747.j2se_view    software I can connect to the logger using either bluetooth or usb, and upload AGPS files.However I cannot download any files.
>
> Thankyou for any help.Regards
> Ross

Re: Error message help

Ross Pritchard
Thank you for replying Steve.
Yes I am using the GUI.
Given that I am using Mac OSX and I am relatively out of my depth already in IT matters, could youosdibly tell me what the next step should be?
>From what you said, I get the feeling I should be changing the permissions on the GPSBabel folder?? but I really don't have too many clues, so assume ' Dummies Guide ' level of expertise and make the explanation painfully simple.
And thank you so much for dealing with such a newbie.
Regards
Ross
PS. it is  late at night here so please do not be offended if I don't answer any emails for the next 8 hours:-)

> On 17 Jul 2014, at 21:37, tsteven4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ross,
>
> Are you using the GUI?
>
> In any event, gpsbabel is trying to create a temporary file and it probably does not have permissions to write in that directory.  The directory isn't specified so it is likely to be in the same directory you are running the program from or the directory that gpsbabel is installed in.
>
> Steve
>
>> On 7/16/2014 11:53 PM, Ross Pritchard wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have a Qstarz BT818xt .
>> When I connect it to GPS Babel I get this error message:
>>
>> "gpsbabel -t -i mtk,erase=0,erase_only=0,log_enable=0,csv= -f /dev/cu.Qstarz818XT-SPPslave -o gpx,suppresswhite=0,logpoint=0,humminbirdextensions=0,garminextensions=0 -F /Users/michelleandross/Desktop/GPSDATA/qstarz.gpx
>> mtk_logger: Can't create temporary file data.bin
>> Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1'
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction as what to do next?
>>
>> By way of additional info:
>> I use MacOSX mavericks. Using BT747.j2se_view    software I can connect to the logger using either bluetooth or usb, and upload AGPS files.However I cannot download any files.
>>
>> Thankyou for any help.Regards
>> Ross

Re: Error message help

tsteven4-2
Ross,

I am not in front of a mac at the moment, but if you could install the
GUI in a location you can write to, e.g. your desktop, that is likely to
get you going.

Steve