Entry Point Not Found Error

Martin Thomas-5
Greetings,

I looked through the archives and didn't see anything about this. I use WinNT4 at work. When I try to start GPS Babel I get this error:

GPS Babel.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces could not be located in the dynamic link library setupapi.dll.

This is also a problem in EasyGPS and GSAK only I get a slightly different message but still referring to setupapi.dll.

I have that file in the root directory of the C and D drives. I even reloaded it from the original NT install disk. I have tried a couple other NT machines here at work with the same result.

I don't have any trouble with my 2000 machine at home.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marty

Re: Entry Point Not Found Error

Robert Lipe
Martin Thomas wrote:

>    The procedure entry point SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces could not be located
>    in the dynamic link library setupapi.dll.

The problem is that you're now one one of the two people left using NT4.
:-) You're the second person I can recall reporting this.

When we added the USB support for the Garmin models about a year ago
we obviously needed some additional OS services from Windows to do it.
Apparently those services exist in all the 2K/98/me/xp strains but are
missing in NT4.

I once heard that there may some kind of an update from MS that provided
a more compaitblle version of setupapi.dll but I have no idea where to
find it.  (Then again, I've also heard of the Loch Ness monster.)

You can use an older version of GPSBabel such as 1.2.3 that doesn't have
the USB support or you can build from source withe 'usbfree' target to
exclude the use of Garmin/USB code.

Re: Entry Point Not Found Error

Ron Parker-2
At 12:15 PM 7/15/2005, Robert Lipe wrote:
>Martin Thomas wrote:
>
> >    The procedure entry point SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces could not be
> located
> >    in the dynamic link library setupapi.dll.
>
>The problem is that you're now one one of the two people left using NT4.
>:-) You're the second person I can recall reporting this.

I still use NT4 on one of my machines.  I don't try to run GPSBabel on
that computer, though.

Would there be any utility in my modifying the USB code to link at runtime
with the offending function and fail with a fatal error if it doesn't exist?
At least then the official build would work for both people who're still
using NT4 (or, I believe, win95 or win98 gold.)  There'd be no functionality
lost for the benighted NT4 users, as NT4 doesn't support USB anyway.

Failing that, I could put a copy of a USB-free version of GPSBabel in DEMON
and Mintaka could just go over there and get it. :)

Ron Parker wrote:

> Would there be any utility in my modifying the USB code to link at runtime
> with the offending function and fail with a fatal error if it doesn't
> exist?

I published a patch to do it once for review.  It was really ugly. IIRC,
you were the very one that talked me out of it. :-)

> Failing that, I could put a copy of a USB-free version of GPSBabel in DEMON
> and Mintaka could just go over there and get it. :)

Or I could quit being a weenie and do it.   How about I still weenie out
on including this in an official build and I weenie out on fighting the
idiotic sourceforge file release mechanism and  just mention
that I put a build-of-the-day at:

        http://www.mtgc.org/tmp/gpsbabel-usbfree.exe

It'll remain there until I remember to remove it.  If you report any
problems in this version **be sure** to mention it was built from TOT on
7/15 as I didn't go through the whole beta rigamaroll.

--
Support GPSBabel by helping to improve it or fund those that that have
done so.  Visit:

        http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Re: Entry Point Not Found Error

Martin Thomas-5
From what I can see, the GPSBabel-usbfree seems to fix the problem. I forgot
my gps cable so I can't really try it until tomorrw. I replaced the
GPSBabel.exe in GSAK with the new one and I don't get the error but without
the cable I won't know for sure. But it looks good so far :-D.

Thank you very much!!

PS:  Now I can continue to put off looking for DEMON! I have all the parts,
I just need to figure out how they all go together.